main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Clone Wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by nobodyfresh, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    LOL! How could I be 15 feet from that and not see it? I knew some guy was dancing with a lightsaber, but I didn't get any closer and didn't realise it was Ray Park until after the fact.

Approve of his choice of dance moves or not, I'm in awe of a place where we can dance and party with, as well as get fashion tips from the likes of Ray Park, Edward James Olmos and Nathan Fillion. ;)

2. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I'd prefer to keep my 'illusions of grandeur' regarding my favourite actors, if you please.

Yes.....DragonCon is a more adult convention ;)

3. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    You never know though, they may turn out to be even nicer and more grand than you imagined. Edward James Olmos turns out to be one of the kindest, classiest, most generous, most fun-loving, most humble fellas ever. I really liked his work before, but now I'm a fan of him.

I was talking to him (after waiting only 5 minutes in line) and he gently excused himself from our conversation, came out from behind his table, joined a bunch of kids taking pictures for a surprise, and then led this sweet 4 year old in a rousing chorus of "So Say We All!" (which he obligingly and with good humor did all over again when the mom realized her camera failed the first time!). Then he came back to me, apologized for the interruption and said some very generous, kind things to me. He came out to the fan party, leading the other BSG stars, and ended his fantastic speech with cries of "We're not worthy" and bowed to his fans. I can say similar things about the times I interacted with some other actors, but EJO really stood out for me this year.

Yeah, D*C can be pretty adult-themed in spots. But the thing is, you don't have to go to those spots. It's big enough and so diverse that any fan can find the convention they want to attend there. That sweet little 4 year old and his family had an excellent time too. You want to just collect autographs and buy stuff? They have it spades. Go to fan panels? Hours and hours of them. Do only Star Wars? Absolutely. Just go to parties? You could do that too. Go to no parties? Indeed, that as well.

4. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I'm pretty sure Ray is just a jeans and t-shirt guy so not to sure what tips you can get from him, the other two I would believe you.

5. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Style isn't just what you wear, it's also your deportment. When Ray entered one of his Q&A panels, he ran off the stage, into the crowd and started doing butterfly kicks with a huge grin on his face.

That's Style. =D=

6. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    But if you are a collector I've heard there's nothing there and as for the star wars programming in my opinion it was weak. Just the same panels at different times of the day on different days.

Also a huge star wars announcement and no one from our group attends (was a surprise so hard to know ahead of time) and it was the first episode of the new show that's huge. But when cons have so many different fandoms it can be hard to be everywhere if you have many interests. But it did look like a good time maybe some year I'll go with Stacy as he says they have some good comic book stuff. One question was there anyone from Smallville there?.

7. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Rosenbaum was there. I don't know who else, don't watch Smallville.

Sucks to have missed it.

8. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't follow you here, Dooks. Did some huge SW announcement happen at DragonCon that we missed and should have gone to? Forgive me if I misunderstand.

Your brother, no doubt, knows better than I what you like to collect and might have kept an eye out for stuff you're into when he was there. But I actually do collect some things, and I've always come away with strange, rare and very-much wanted things when I've looked. There seemed to be a lot of old comics, toys, figures, cards, books, and general SW stuff in the 3 rather large auditoriums full there, at least to me. So for at least some collectors, it didn't seem like there was nothing. But again, I may be off base if you're into collecting some specific stuff. And it is true that there aren't convention-specific releases (at least, I don't think so) for DragonCon, since it's not industry-run.

The repeats that you see there in the SW programming are Star panels. They may look like the same, but since they are essentially crowd Q&A they end up being quite different from each other, depending on the questions asked, the mood of the Stars, etc. But I'm not trying to convince you that the SW programming is awesome, it might not be your cup of tea, and that's totally cool.

Re: Smallville guests:
    There's a list here, though Erica Durance had to cancel:
    http://osck.wordpress.com/2008/06/19/smallville-stars-making-appearances-at-dragon-con-2008/

Re: Style - I was actually referring (obliquely!) to the episode where Nathan Fillion approached Veritate at hotel check-in and complimented her on her hat :)

9. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Who could blame him? It was a very cunning hat. [face_blush]

The one Star Wars panel I did attend was immediately after Mr. Sansweet's panel, so though I did miss the preview of the Clone Wars episode (which, as Dooks mentioned, was a surprize so there was no way to know about it), I did get to sit in on the panel with Ray Park and Peter Mayhew and Jeremy, among others.

That was a really fun panel.

The questions were interesting (especially considering they're not pre-screened for, you know... intelligence) and Jeremy Bulloch did a very good job of moderating and keeping the conversation going. Afterward, we walked up to him in the dealers' room and had a chat with him and Maureen.

They greeted DrHaggis and I warmly and reminisced with us about the time they spent with us in Calgary. It was nice to see them again.

It's impossible to be board there. Impossible not to find something to do. Impossible not to find someone else there who shares your interest. As Magpie Jen and Dooks (I believe) said, there is SO MUCH happening there, you can make it out to be any convention you like. And I'm not a big fan of the "More adult" stuff either, but I just spend my time doing other things - things that *do* interest me... and I've always had the time of my life.

If anyone wants to read about my time at D*con, you can read about it at my livejournal. There are a few pics there, too. :)

If there's any complaint I have, it's that I don't have some kind of magic device to go back and enjoy all the stuff I missed!

Before we left this year for Atlanta, we kind of thought it would be our last year for a couple years. But after the amazing time we had, we simply can't wait to go back. We'll be going again in 2009.

10. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    Ahh - I figured it out - the preview of the Clone Wars episode. Yep - sucks to have missed it.

If I had a nickel for every "shucks, I wish I could have been there" moment at DragonCon.... I could probably buy myself a Time-Turner. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.