main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clones Hits IMAX Screens Nov 1st

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Obi_Wannabe, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    I've already been keeping tabs to see if either of the IMAX screens in Denver was going to be showing Apollo 13 on the 20th, now i'll start checking to see if they will play AOTC.

From TF.N

The official site has announced that the IMAX version of AOTC will hit screens in the US & Canada on November 1st:
    This is not just the projection of the standard theatrical print on an IMAX screen -- the movie will undergo the revolutionary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) process, which enhances the quality of the image and soundtrack to the huge IMAX 15/70 format. This marks the first time IMAX DMR has been used to re-master a film that was digitally captured and created.

I've already been keeping tabs to see if either of the IMAX screens in Denver was going to be showing Apollo 13 on the 20th, now i'll start checking to see if they will play AOTC.

2. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    that would be cool . would it be as good as digital ???

3. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
  4. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Hard to compare them on "as good".

It'll be different, the biggest issue about blowing traditional films up to Imax size has been about enlarging the grain in the film.
    That won't be an issue here, AOTC doesn't have any grain in the film, so it should be very clean as far as projected celluloid goes. (Sorry, probably way too technical, but any discussion about which is "better" in terms of theatrical presentation will get technical very fast, since its so subjective)

Imax's advantages are mostly in terms of the size of the image and the closeness of the screen to the viewer, which combined create a more realistic immersive experience.

5. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    BAsically, it makes you feel like you are in the movie as it's happening. When we took my Mom to Beauty & the Beast in IMAX, she got a little motion sick from a few of the scenes. It's a great experience.

My favorite IMAX movie (until AOTC of course) was Titantica. And what I loved about had nothing to do w/ the Titantic. The shots from those submersibles was amazing, I swear I felt like I was done in the sub myself. And since scuba diving is not an option for me, it's the closest I will ever come to that feeling.

6. BountyHunter-Firefly

BountyHunter-Firefly Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2002
    I went to one of those fancy shmancy IMAX things once. I found it rather boring; ok so it was over the Sarengheti Plains in Africa and it was a school function. Actually AOtC sounds like it would be a great IMAX experience.

7. Micah333

Micah333 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    My first IMAX movie was when I was in the Space Academy program. The screen was HUGE!!! No kidding. It was a domed ceiling, and the screen was so big that you couldn't see the ends of it if you were in the center. It really FELT like I was in space. No other IMAX has ever compared.

8. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I went to one YEARS ago at Worlds of Fun in KC...it was a rollercoaster thing...I was dizzy walking out, almost got sick too...it was awesome :)

9. Jedi_Pilot

Jedi_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Sounds like fun, I'll go if I'm in town.

BTW- Apollo 13 on the 20th of when?

10. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    dad woke me up thismorning to tell me that he saw on the news that it will be here in denver on the first !

it was on wb2 news .

11. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Apollo 13 is next Friday, if it will be playing in Denver.

Did the WB2 story say which IMAX, the Museum or the Colorado Center? Or even the one in the Springs?

12. Lewis_Black

Lewis_Black Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 6, 2002
    The question is: When can I start lining up?

Are we going to do something? I'd be willing to throw something at my new place in Denver afterwards. It is about five miles south of the Colorado UA theater. I'll even let the youngin's come along.

13. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    i hope in denver ! i like making the guys from CS drive up here , hahahaha.

any one know if it has played at the cinima grill yet ?

14. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    As of now, No. But it would be cool if it came there, that's only 5 minutes from my house!

*SB*

15. Micah333

Micah333 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    Cinemark Imax® Theatre in the Springs will have AOTC!!! Woo Hoo!!!

16. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    WTF???????

Colorado has at least 3 IMAX theaters that I know of, and according to the website IMAX just setup for the release of Apollo 13, none of them will be playing it.

This is Apollo 13, not AOTC, i've been looking forward to Apollo 13 in IMAX for about a year.

Rhode Island has a theater playing Apollo 13 in IMAX, but not in Colorado?

EDIT: I double checked, and noticed that there are no UA theaters listed, I don't know if there are any other UA IMAX screens other than the Colorado Center, maybe they just aren't committing yet, I think we've learned from experience to not assume no news from UA is bad news. he said to himself wishfully

17. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    I hope aotc is ONLY in the springs IMAX...that way DH can drive his happy @$$ down here to see it :)

18. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I don't have a problem w/ a road trip to the Springs for the movie. So, who's gonna put us all up if they have a midnight show? ;)

19. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    you can sleep on my dorm floor...but it might be a little cramped ;)

I think it would be cool if everyone came down here to watch it even if it is up in Denver... ;)

20. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I may even be able to come! ^_^ which would be really cool. I love IMAX

I went to one at the Grand Canyon, it was taken entirely from some kind of glider or plane. I felt like I was dropping off the edge of the canyon. Very cool. Then there was the one in Florida at the space place...

21. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    did you say happy @$$ ?

22. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I usually get sick when I watch IMAX, do you think I can handle AOTC?

Dramamine here I come!

23. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Definately take the Dramamine, you do not want to miss this one!

24. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    We gonna do a group run to an IMAX.....YES!?

25. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    dramamine it is, I will take a vacation day if I must...hmmm....imagine a day off.

..and not only a day off, but a day off to watch a movie.....but not just any movie... Attack of the Clones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.