main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Clones in the Grand Army... Slaves or not slaves?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by SithStarSlayer, Jun 3, 2013.

?

Do you believe that Jango' clones were slaves of the Republic?

1. Yes, absolutely.

70.6%
  2. No, they were not slaves.

8.8%
  3. Undecided. Not enough on film to make up my mind..

20.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's quite a few TCW episodes in which clones go against the regulations. And they have different personality traits In the very first episode of the season 1 DVD, Ambush, Yoda's pointing out to the clone squad he's with that "In the Force, very different each of you are" and giving them each a different piece of advice.

2. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    Sorry, a little bit to say on the free-will front here.
    They are humans. Genetically they are humans. They have the capacity to think the same way that we do. Even if we didn't see signs of free will, that wouldn't mean they were without rights. People who have been severely abused and/or held captive for years IRL can have virtually no free will of their own any more. Hence so many psychological counselors for people like that. And it isn't because they can't, but that they need help. Those clones were slaves, and actually, they WERE abused, and they WERE held captive for years as small children. So, is it conditioning? Or is it genetics? For me, the answer to that is irrelevant. No one here would ever take advantage of an abuse victim, whether that be human, puppy, cat, or other. But that's exactly what happened.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Strictly, according to The Essential Guide to Warfare, it was the Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas that commissioned them thanks to the manipulations of Palpatine and his master Plagueis- but then Palpatine had him murdered to keep the project secret, and took it over.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  4. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    I think you are right. Master Sifo-Dyas commissioned them in person but Sidious took advantage of the order and so had him killed.

5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The Republic, & Jedi for that matter, decided to use trained child soldiers. They were clearly slaves and more.

Granted when the Jedi got to them they were no longer children, but I think this is one of Lucas's most subtle bits of film making. It shows how far the Republic and its guardians had fallen.

DarthRelaxus and Bardan_Jusik like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.