main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Clones, Stormtroopers or First Order Troopers?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Chancellor Yoda, Mar 2, 2016.

?

Clones, Stormtroopers or First Order Trooper?

1. Republic Clone Trooper

27 vote(s)
    79.4%
  2. Imperial Stormtrooper

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. First Order Stormtrooper

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Now that there's a new troop of the line of white clad warriors in town, I thought it would be fun to know who you like the best. This vote is also counting not just the regular troop type but all the special units as well, so keep that in mind. I still have a overall preference to the Imperial stormtrooper, perhaps for the fact of my overall preference to the OT or for the fact I just like the classic look of the stormtrooper as well as the special classes.

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I most prefer the Phase II Clones, as they're the only variant that ever actually has a real air of threat and menace around them, even before Order 66 goes down.

3. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    Sorry for the late reply but I actually do agree with this. In terms of actaully skill in aim and personality the clones have it. Which is why it's usually a tie between Stormtroopers and clones, which is usually why I change my mind on this particular topic for some weird reason.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  4. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    First Order Stormtroopers are my favorite. I also like the design of the Phase II Clones.

5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I like the Clone Troopers for competence
    I like the Imperial Stormtroopers for their armor and weapon style

The FO Stormtroopers are neat, too, but their helmets remind me too much of the Mighty Ducks logo.

6. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    That's pretty much my position. The clones for their competence, the storms for their weapons and armor.

7. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    If your factor TCW into the question. There is no doubt in my mind its the Clone Trooper. That show did a great job fleshing out them as people and as individuals. To see what motivate them. Their resolve to the fight for the Republic is always admirable.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I believe the clone troopers are the deadliest. Many of them were able to kill Jedi during Order 66. I'd say that the First Order stormtroopers come in second.

9. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Clones are definitely the most lethal as SateleNovelist11 said......Love the Phase 2 design. Especially the Kashyyyk camouflage on these Clone scout troopers.[​IMG]

10. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    My favorite will always be Clones:clone: , after that I quite liked the First Order ones too:nttrooper: , so then Imp ST gets last place:storm:

11. The Power Converter

The Power Converter Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2016
    In terms of design, I like the FO Stormtroopers the most. Those new helmets are badass :nttrooper:

Now if we're talking about combat and fighting strengths, I'd go with the Clones. They were pure warriors, right down to their DNA.

Those poor Imperial stormtroopers could barely see out of their helmets [face_dancing]
    [​IMG]

12. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Clonetroopers became a much larger part of the story, where it seems Stormtroopers were more of an accessory. Still, Stormtroopers were at their very best in A New Hope; seeing how efficiently they could eliminate a target was quite intimidating. From then on, Stormtroopers just got goofier until the Emperor's best men in Return of the Jedi barely resembled Vader's squad on the Tantive IV. To its credit, The Force Awakens made Stormtroopers badass again, showing not only competency on the battlefield, but a real sense of brutality as well.

Deliveranze likes this.
  13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Clone Troopers> First Order Stromtroopers>>>>>>>>>>>Imperial Stormtroopers

14. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I'm kind of torn between FO Stormtroopers and Clone Troopers. My analysis:

-STORMTROOPERS: Somewhat intimating when they first appeared, after all they are nameless, faceless soldiers working for an oppressive government (fitting considering the real world SS). They slaughtered the Rebels on the Tantive 4, killed Owen and Beru. "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise". But even in A New Hope not only do they get some goofy moments (The head bump and Whilhelm scream), and the heroes usually trounce them unless overwhelmed with numbers. Also I don't think it's helped by the fact that the 70's costumes, which made it difficult to see, make their movements somewhat awkward. As far as variants go, there's Snowtroopers and Scoutroopers, but we don't see them that much in the films.

Stormtroopers have become synonymous with the generic goon, an easy enemy for the heroes to defeat and only a threat in large numbers. It's why the old EU line about the Stormtrooper Core being a small, elite part of the Imperial Army never rang true to me. Like the standard low level video game enemy they're everywhere, but easy to kill.

CLONE TROOPERS:I couldn't put my finger on it till darkspine10 said it, but yes, they are intimidating. For this and other reasons I can't quite put into words, they seem the most like an army. The way they have a large amount of variants mixed together (Phase 1, Phase 2, the uniquely armored Clone Commanders, Clone Commandos, Cammo Scouts, Galactic Marines, ect.) make them feel like a massive, galactic scale army with many units on many worlds. They are bred for battle, and exude competence and efficiency. They are better than Stormtroopers in every way. Their movements like kneeling to fire feel more natural. The CGI is ok, although it can be jarring in some cases.

The only thing keeping me from for sure giving them my vote is they're TOO competent, to the point that it seems like a mistake that the Empire ever stopped using them, no matter what justifications they add. Also some of their competence is just based on the fact that they're "good guys" until Order 66, so they don't have that grand bad guy tradition of having terrible aim.

FIRST ORDER STORMTROOPERS: Seems to me like an attempt to update the Stormtroopers and include some positive aspects of the Clone Troopers. They're described as bred for war, but not clones. Their armor is sleeker. They're not CGI, but they're movements are more natural, I'm assuming because of costume improvements. They've got a few variants that make it seem like nicely varied army. I'll have to wait till I see more of them in action before I can decide if they succeed in this goal of blending old and new.

15. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I got to say Clone trooper whom remind me of the Brownshirt Nazis, Stormtroopers are the Waffen SS, but not sure how First Order Troopers could be, but they do fit in with the Nazis.

16. Delta RC-1138

Delta RC-1138 Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2015
    Clone Troopers definitely. Although, thy are much more fleshed out in the cannon due to TCW. Also, they looked and felt better, I think it was a good decision to do them in CGI, the stormtroopers in the OT are almost comical with their armor. The First Order troopers looked really good though, but they still don't seem imposing enough.

EDIT: Disney recently trademarked the name "Shadowtrooper", so we might get some new trooper variants in the new movies. I think the movies are sorely needing a capable trooper that poses a real threat.

17. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Clone Troopers are #1 no question
    They win in competency, style, swag, and coolness factor

Storm Troopers get a point for Nostalgia factor, but that is barely noteworthy for me since I saw all the films in such quick succession.

First order troopers... well at least they look different from the old storm troopers, one of the few differences between this movie and the ot.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  18. Mace Windu is GOAT

Mace Windu is GOAT Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Clones because they're from the GOAT PT!