main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clones: The new scapegoat of the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by OldieVonMoldie, Sep 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldieVonMoldie

OldieVonMoldie Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2001
    **Disclaimer**

I am not intending to bash pro cloners, anti cloners, or anyone in between.

It's my observation that since cloning technology was introduced to the Saga, it's quickly supplanted "Obi Wan as B.S. artist" as the way to debate the unknown.

In the time leading up to TPM, & shortly after it's release, Obi was clearly evryones favorite scapegoat. The answer to many an argument was "from Obi Wan's point of view."

Now, it's all about clones. Since AOTC was released, I've seen arguments accusing practically EVERYONE of being/having a clone.
    I even recall a thread a while ago where someone argued that "BEN" was Obi Wan's clone designation.

Can this really be true??? Are we casting aside old Ben's love of weaving a tall tale for this new fangled technology?

And what happens after Ep3, if all our questions are not answered? Will we still blame it on the clones, or will someone else take the fall?

2. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I'd be very surprised if Ep 3 revealed any of the major characters to be clones. But who knows?

Even after Ep 3, people will have all kinds of crazy theories about clones and other stuff and, because they're weren't specifically rebuked in the films, will hold them to be true.

I don't know the fans will see as the scapegoat after Ep 3. Based on the OT, which occurs after the PT obviously, Obi-Wan blames himself.

3. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    People don't understand that clones are a plot point. They're like the droid army in TPM: They're another clever thing to see in the GFFA. Cloning itself is barely discussed. All we care about is the Clone Army, not cloning an army. Since clones have not been mentioned in the other 4 movies, none of the characters in EpIII will be revealed to be a clone. It's too late to make it convincing.

Heh, I still remember a theory saying Luke was a clone of Anakin. And I think another one saying that Anakin was a clone of Luke. ?[face_plain]

Cometgreen

4. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Most likely the clones are going to remain like that of Jango and perhaps a few variants. However, we will most likely not see a clone of Han Solo, Lando, Dengar or any other human. It would be hokey...

I have a small point to make with regards to the clone issue.

In a New Hope, Luke, Han, the droids and Ben kill two stormtroopers after they enter the Falcon. (They also killed two people that did the scanning of the ship but that is moot) If the Stormtroopers resembled Han or OB1 (referencing the cryptic EU cloning of Obi-Wan) Luke would have been like you guys are messed up!!!

We know from AotC and ANH that the Stormtroopers all sound alike, but that could be the communicator(s) and it is unlikely the we will see to amny variances because you would need strong originals to make healthy clones. Kamino is a place that could make for healthy clones at an even more impressive rate.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Eppy 3.

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "If the Stormtroopers resembled Han or OB1 (referencing the cryptic EU cloning of Obi-Wan) Luke would have been like you guys are messed up!!!"

Excellent point! [face_laugh]

(Let's hope Lucas remembers this as well. ;) )

6. OldieVonMoldie

OldieVonMoldie Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2001
    Hey guys, thanks for the responses but we're almost, sorta, kinda getting off track here & I don't want this to be locked.Let me give an example of where I was going with this thread:

Picture this: TFN circa late 2000. Someone might post in a thread -

Hey, I just saw TPM & Anakin doesn't show how he is "the best star pilot in the galaxy" like Ben told Luke. Whats up with that?

Someone would inevitably reply -

Ben is just giving "his point of view" again. Take anything he says in the OT with a grain of salt.

Now, if you posted that question today, someone would respond -

Well, thats because Ben is a clone of Obi Wan, who was really a clone of Anakin (hence the name- OB1) & the didn't want to call the clone OB2 so they named him BEN. Since he was cloned so many times his memories have been screwed up.

Now, I know I've exaggerated the above scenarios, but I just wanted to illustrate where I was going with this thread.

7. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    Now that's messed up.

Anyway you're forgetting the mother of all "clone of" theories-Palpatine is Sidious' clone or Sidious is Palpy's clone.
    This particular absurdity probably won't be resolved till Ep III.

8. TheCloneCommander

TheCloneCommander Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2001
    I believe that was resolved a long time ago. I remember reading on the official site a couple years ago. It was somewhere on there where people could send in a question and someone from Lucasfilm would answer it. Someone asked about the Sidious/Palpatine cloning thing. I'm pretty sure it was Rick McCallum who answered the question. I can't remember word for word, but he said something like, "Palpatine and Darth Sidious are the same person. No Twins, No Clones, Nothing like that." Did anyone else read that back when it was on the official site?

9. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Yes. The Cloner response is generally along the lines of "Rick McCallum was drunk in another country and not speaking in an 'official' capacity", or something like that. ;)

10. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    referencing the cryptic EU cloning of Obi-Wan
    Could somebody PM me with the details of this? I know in the old Marvel comics (a continuity grey area) there was a story of Vader using an actor made to look as Obi-Wan...to lure Luke into a trap on Aridus.

However, this "Ben Kenobi" was merely a trained actor altered by Imperial surgeons to resemble the fallen jedi - Essential Guide to Planets and Moons

11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002

"Early in the development of Heir to the Empire, author Timothy Zahn believed that Lucas had abandoned plans to continue the Star Wars saga, and came up with his own idea of the events of the prequel-era. Among one of his plans was the creation of an insane clone of Obi-Wan that would figure prominently in the events of the Thrawn Trilogy. When it became apparent that such a direction was not possible, Zahn changed the cloned Obi-Wan into the character of Joruus C'baoth."

Also, a Interview with Tim Zahn.

We were that close... ;)

12. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    Jar-Jar is and always will be my scapegoat.

13. EyeH8EU

EyeH8EU Jedi Master star 3

Sep 30, 2003
    If we're talking audience scapegoats, then Jar Jar permanantly replaced the Ewoks as the audiences most hated being(s).

Personally, I didn't mind the Ewoks, although there really should have been more stormtroopers on Endor.

14. Jedi-in-Exile

Jedi-in-Exile Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2004
    Actually, the clones were mentioned in Ep IV by Obi-wan. He told Luke that his father did fight in the Clone Wars. But, I always thought that the Republic had fought a war against that mysterious clone army. I NEVER imagined that those clones were stormtroopers.

Also, I never would have figured that they were cloned from the FETTs!! Boba Fett was the most feared Bounty Hunter in the galaxy. The stormtroopers seemed to be somewhat bumbling -- scores of them would shoot at Leah and Han and Luke without hitting them a single time, but Han could fire a few shots and kill dozens of them. The movies established a clear distinction between Han Solo vs. Stormtroopers and Han Solo vs. Boba Fett (who he feared more than anything). I suppose training, nurture, etc... but the same genetic makeup?? I just don't know if I can really buy that. Try watching the OT again and see how believable that is. And listen to Ben and Luke on Tatooine in Ep IV and see how the reference to the Clone Wars strikes you -- does the Ep II fight scene really qualify as one of those hushed, epic moments in history?... I don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.