main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clonetrooper armor to Stormtrooper armor. Why?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by generallee5, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    Ok, I searched through the first 4 pages of this board for a topic like this, forgive me if there already is.
    Why is the armor of the clonetroopers different in the OT? They both are still hard to see through. It seems like it was nothing but a big waste of money one the Empire's part. Would it be simply because now Palpatine has so much money he just wants to waste some of it? Whats the point. Just because the stormtrooper armor looks alot cooler than clonetrooper armor, doesn't mean that the others arne't just as good. Please discuss.

2. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    As with almost everything. new technologies and ideas come along. I'm sure the Stormies armor is alot better than that of their clone predecessor's. Perhaps the EU has some info on this subject

3. generallee5

May 27, 2003
    Well, it doesn't seem much better to me. That armor can't deflect any kind of laser bolt. Not even Leia's weak sporting blaster. But atleast it looks cooler than the clonetrooper armor.

4. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Fashion changes, even in the army. It´s 20 years in between, don´t forget that!

Besides, the body armor design isn´t that different, it´s only the helmet that´s been radically changed. I´m sure the new helmet is better at some things.

5. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    In the Visual Dictionary the stormie helmet is upgraded big time. Thats probably why.

6. Skywalker_1138

Skywalker_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    The Stormie helmet has thermal optics and nightvision plus a lot of other extra things so that's probably one reason

7. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Think in real terms. Go back 20 years and look at what police and firemen wore then and compare it with now. They are different due to fashion and technology eg. more lightweight body armour and stuff for SWAT teams etc. So is possible that the same advancements in fashion and technolgy happen in the GFFA.

8. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I think the Stormies armor is supposed to be more menacing, meaning once the Empire is in place they issue the "Rule by Fear" doctrine. And it looks like to me the Clonies helmet is supposed to resemble Daddy Fett's helmet.

I think I read somewhere(probably the "Clones" board) that the Clonie armor is metal and the Stormie armor is plastoid. Does anyone have any additional info on that? Here is what TOS says:

Stormies:

They are completely encased in a white armored spacesuit shell...

Clonies:

Clone troopers were fully encased in hard white armor...

9. --Darth_Vader--

--Darth_Vader-- Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2003
    I agree with medleyoz.

10. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    It seems to me that one improvement is that the Stormtrooper mask has a built in gas mask.

11. --Darth_Vader--

Jun 25, 2003
    The Clonetrooper helmet had that too.

12. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    It's like with the US army (or any army). Their clothing back in the 70's is different from their clothing in present day. Times change. Chances are, new improvements were made over the twenty years, so they decided to re-design their armor.

13. Darth_Nubian

Aug 21, 2000
    no, Darth_Vader, I'm talking about the gear below the mouth of the helmet. If I had pictures to post I'd show you, but I don't know links to any.

14. --Darth_Vader--

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes, I know what your talking about. The clonetrooper helmet had an air filtering system as well, but it was not built into the helmet the same why as in the stormtrooper helmets.

15. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I think they are two reasons why the helmets look different.

1) George wanted to distinguish the clonestroopers from the stormtroopers because the stormies were thought of as completely evil while the republic clontroopers were thought of as the good guys. It would seem kind of odd to see the evil stormies of old fighting side by side with the jedi in the arena. We wouldn't know who to root for.

2) George wanted to sell more action figures.

16. Darth_Nubian

Aug 21, 2000
    To Darth_Vader: Oh.

To DarthMaul13: That would be a perfect reason to keep their uniforms the same. Especially for those of us who've watched the OT before the PT. I can't wait till the troops that the Jedi command during the Clone War turn and destroy their Jedi Generals!

17. generallee5

May 27, 2003
    Yeah, I guess its kindov like that new computer generated camoflauge the U.S. soldiers are gonna be getting soon. Or do they already have them? O well.

Stay Away from the Yellow Bird! :eek:

18. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I read somewhere that the initial clonetrooper armor was designed by the Kaminoans and not ergonomically efficient for the human clones (look at the fin on the helmet that resembles the one on Lama Su). The stormtrooper armor probably has improvements on the initial design for maximum mobility.

19. George15

George15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 4, 2002
    Maybe the new armor is more cost efficient.Or maybe after some research it was found that the old armor was too light and not nearly comfortable enough.I don't know,your guess is as good as mine.

20. Fat_Guy86

Fat_Guy86 Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2003
    The theory that me and a freind of mine have is that after ahwile the clone army got old, or died in battle, and the cloning process was probably a bit expensive after awhile, so the new empire simply recruted more soldiers and gave them less expensive standered issue uniforms.

why spend money on troops deemed expendible?

they were under a dictatorship, palpatine could simply draft more troops, give them crappy equipment and a little basic training, then send swarms of them to do his dirty work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.