main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clonetroopers all CGI?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Paul_78, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Paul_78

Darth_Paul_78 Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2005
    Is it true that not a single uniform was made up for AOTC, and that they were all CGI?

That's sad, really... but at least they could shoot straight this time.

The overhead shot on the ROTS trailer with Anakin leading them, with the marching beat...

(swoon!)

Gets me every time. Can't wait.

Strilo edit: Edited title for clarity

2. Volter19

Volter19 Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2005
    My thoughts exactly. Pure CGI clones IS sad.

3. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    If you can't tell if they're CGI or not (which you can't) then I really don't see what the fuss it about.

4. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Well I can tell with a lot of them. But I still think its weird they would go to such lengths for no reason.

5. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    I think that using extras wearing suits for some the clones would be difficult as you'd have to find people all of the same height.

I don't really have a problem at all with them using CGI clones.

6. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    It's just not the same I'm afraid.

7. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    I thought it was obvious that the clones were CG.
    I can't believe that it is easier to digitaly create them , than to have actors in uniforms.and it does not look as real, it seems like they Sacrifice realism to push the technology. not ALWAYS the best way to go. ;)

8. Dirty-Darth

Dirty-Darth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    If you think about it, the CGI is a lot more practical than making suits and using extras. Especially for battle scenes in which we see a huge amount of troops in action.

For starters, most of the enviroments we see them in (especially in AOTC) are pure CG, so not only would a live action suit look a litle out of place, but it would take time to film the acting, Bluescreen them in, and fix lighting effects, etc...

It just seems that using a CGI troop (which looks just as good as a live action troop) would be a lot easier in terms of putting it in the film.

9. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well I don't have an issue with CG troopers in wide shots with lots of them, but for the closeup shots or where there are like less than 10 in frame, there is no reason they could not find 10 guys of the same build for use as extras in suits.

Some of the clone shots being CG seem to me to be effects for the sake of effects, not because it's the best thing for the shot. Just because you CAN doesn't mean you should.

10. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I liked the CGI clones. It made them totally uniform, which works since they are clones. I wonder if a SW noob would instantly tell they were CGI? We all know, 'cause we knew it before hand - at least I did. They are good CGI characters at any rate.

11. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    "Well I don't have an issue with CG troopers in wide shots with lots of them, but for the closeup shots or where there are like less than 10 in frame, there is no reason they could not find 10 guys of the same build for use as extras in suits.

Some of the clone shots being CG seem to me to be effects for the sake of effects, not because it's the best thing for the shot. Just because you CAN doesn't mean you should. "

Exactly! :)

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    We all know, 'cause we knew it before hand - at least I did. They are good CGI characters at any rate.

I did not know before hand. Honestly I could not tell they were CGI. I was floored when I read it. However, now that I know, there are certain shots that it shows.

13. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    They just have a artificial look to them .

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    No I think the problem is that in some shots they just move too fluidly and smoothly. Humans don't move that way.

15. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Star Wars has always used tricks to make it seem like there were more Stormtroopers than on screen. I think they've used mirrors and mattes (perhaps someone could clarify?).

Overall, I like the way Peter Jackson handelled soldiers with CGI. That is, all the main good guys and bad guys were real. When we watched close combat, it was two or more guys duking it out. CGI was used for huge sweeping shots from a distance or to fill backgrounds or create monsters impossible to build in real life: The trolls etc.

Overall, I though Jackson overdid the effects as well but at least there was balance. I totally lose attention when the battles switch from real characters to 99% CGI battles. They would suit a video game cutscene but for a SW film, the CGI clones don't work. Why? Because their Stormtrooper comparisons looked much more realistic IMHO.

EDIT: I am one of many people who have that uncanny ability to notice CGI. I NEVER believed any of the clones were real. On a side note, is the scarecrow CGI in Batman Begins? I saw a quick flash of the trailer, and when he's wearing the mask, I could swear it was CGI-ed! :(

16. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    I NEVER believed any of the clones were real.

Ditto .

17. -diVe-

-diVe- Jedi Master

Jan 15, 2002
    I had no idea the clones were CGI when I first saw Attack of the Clones. I didn't know, until I read about it online. Now that I know, I still think they look real for the most part.

18. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    There's only two places where I really, really notice it - one shot during the Geonosis battle where we see a shot through one of the crawlers, and then as they line up preparing to leave Coruscant. Otherwise, I was shocked to learn they were all CGI after I watched the movie at a later date.

I still have to remind myself during the Kamino scenes that all of the troopers are CGI, since there's no way they could find a 100 guys looking just like Jango. ;)

19. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    I don't see what's wrong with the clones. It just makes sense to make all of them CGI, I literarly can't tell that their CGI, even the close-up shots. It just goes to show you how awesome ILM is, They can pull off some beautiful stuff.

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I still have to remind myself during the Kamino scenes that all of the troopers are CGI, since there's no way they could find a 100 guys looking just like Jango.

Depends on which shots you refer to. The shots of the young ones being tested and the older ones eating are not CGI, as I am sure you know. They are just lots of different takes of Daniel Logan and Bodie Taylor composited into one shot.

21. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I'm suprised that anyone could see live actors looking at the CGI Clonetroopers. The shot of them jumping off the ship into the arena looks wrong. They seem to fly down and don't jolt properly when they land. Just look at the troopers in ANH's opening. THEY ARE THERE on set, lights glistening off their armour with variation and idiosyncracies in their movements. The clones just don't look right and it ruins the battle. In fact, the whole final battle looks pretty poor. I don't deny the effort from the animators. It's just CGI is not ready to replace live actors.

Just a question: IF the clonetroopers didn't have their helmets on, how real would they look then with CGI human faces?

22. generalgreivous4

generalgreivous4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2005
    Got to be honest, I didn't know they were CGI when I first saw the movie. They look sooo real, it shows that they are making sure the movies have quality, not just slap dash CGI like some other movies.

They looked really cool.

23. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Just want to say, when I first saw AOTC I wondered why Lucas didn't CGI the clones instead of using extras.

Oops. :D

24. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    Many of them are easy to tell they're CGI, but a few are really, really nice looking and hard to tell.

25. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "I think that using extras wearing suits for some the clones would be difficult as you'd have to find people all of the same height."

that wasn't an issue in the OT why would it be now?

Anyways, even if it was, why not just cast 5 guys who are the same height, thats not hard, then use replication?

thats the best of both worlds. Unlimited numbers of CGI, but realism of costumes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.