main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga CloneTroopers/StormTroopers/1stOrder StormTroopers/SnowsTroopers/ScoutTroopers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ord Sorrell, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    Which were the best trained and equipped? which would have the best Kill/Death ratio? If you were stranded on a Planet with Harsh terrain of several different climates and had to traverse the entire planet, with enemies hunting you down, which corp would you prefer a companion from?

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Holy **** that title tho

Well, we haven't actually seen FO stormtroopers against any large ground forces whereas we've seen that Empire stormtroopers could hold kick ass against large Rebel ground forces (I will defend against the whole "they can't shoot" meme any day) and the clones can fight off droid armies and apparently Jedi while sustaining some casualties

It would be sort of unfair to compare the three as we've only seen the clones take on trained Jedi and we don't know how either generation of stormtroopers would fare against them. But at the same time - Order 66 was a big sucker punch and we don't see how many clones died in the Jedi Temple. My lack of skills at Battlefront II would say a lot, but there's no way to know for sure

I'm gonna give it to the Empire until we really see the FO in action

3. Ord Sorrell

Oct 16, 2016
    Darn.. Wish I could edit titles.. Aside from the title being so huge.. Snow(s) Troopers? shouldn't be plural there

anyway.. It's tough for me to answer this which is why I asked it.. I've often wondered...

Best trained.. hm...Finn didn't seem that well trained to me, Rey was saving his butt all over the place. But then again neither did the regular storm troopers in ANH. I would say Clone Troopers were by far the best trained.

Best equipped.. Finn and the other 1st O ST's seemed to have basic carbines (and masks without toxin filters!).. ANH storm troopers seemed to have the same gear although their mask filters might have been more sophisticated (maybe the empire had more money to spend on armor)..but I would have to give equipment to Snowtroopers or Scout Troopers.. those heavy carbines the snow troopers were carrying around...and the large "caliber" Blasters they set up on tripods looked brutal...Although the speeder bikes of the scouts were of course badass...I guess I'll give the edge to the snow troopers their armor looked superior and their firepower looked superior...

best Kill/Death Ratio... I would have to give this to either the Clone Troopers or the Scout troopers.. those scout troopers iN ROTJ were awfully slippery and a small handful of them took up more of Luke/Leia's time than any Storm trooper ever did... I will go scout troopers with this...

And If I was an Imperial Officer that say, survived a crash landing onto a pretty harsh planet with several different regional climates (snow capped hills or mountains, forests that gave way to deserts).. I'd probably without a doubt want to be stranded with scout troopers who could navigate the wilderness more easily and probably handle more diverse terrain than the other troopers.. not to mention they are probably trained in survival skills and can locate food/water...

although when storming a base, or a capital ship.. I think we all know what corp of solder would be best...

4. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Send a PM to either/both mods of the Saga section and editing the title to whatever you want is no issue

You might also want to request the addition of a poll to get the opinions of those who don't write out a full post about it

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  5. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Wasn't Finn propped up as one of the best soldiers in the FO in Before the Awakening? If that's the case, why is he so unbelievably incompetent? That's really the one problem I have with their statement that everything would have equal levels of "canonicity". Finn acts nothing like he did in that novel.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  6. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    In his defense, we never really see him fighting as he did when he was FN-2187. I've never read the novel, but I assume it was all training and simulations where he proved himself. I think it's said that the attack on the village was his first field mission, where he found he's not really meant to be a killing machine. Most of the action he sees after that, he's not really in a calm state of mind, and even then he still fares pretty well, I'd say

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  7. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I believe the OT stormtroopers are simply later generation clones going by in film evidence and some of Lucas own statements, so clone troops and stormtroopers are one in the same for me (the PT never used the term clonetrooper on screen). Moreover, the FO's stormtroopers seem to be a big decline as several are shown to be cowards, Finn, the two that backed away from Kylo, and of course Plasma who betrayed her whole organization without a fight.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  8. Ord Sorrell

Oct 16, 2016
    this statement does conjure a memory of a squad of stormtroopers running from a screaming Han through the hallways of the first Deathstar, until they realize they are being idiotic (although in the remastered version they end up in a large room with many more stormtroopers (some of which look like cutouts though :( ))

so to be fair stormtroopers have always been... inept...

9. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Stormtroopers always seem inept when the plot calls for it, such as failing to hit Organa as he ran to his airspeeder, or a squad of clones could not stop two Jedi. But Plasma really takes the cake though.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  10. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Captain Plasma? ;)

That's a nice nickname for a character that was essentially just a lot of hot air or hot plasma...

Slicer87 likes this.