main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Clonetroopers to Stormtroopers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by merlin, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_NAFOD

DARTH_NAFOD Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2002
    MeBeJedi, the Navy and Marines also put officers on the front lines. Both in ground combat and aviation. (sorry, had to speak up for my fellow Naval and Marine officers)

As for the topic, I think the OT stormies are mix. Just my opinion.

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "the Navy and Marines also put officers on the front lines."

True, but not to the same extent. I was referring to the "joke" where the enlisted men of the flight crew stay behind. Should have made that clearer. Sorry.

3. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    I believe that there are Stormtrooper recruits and Clone troopers turned Stormtroopers. Why? Remember when Ben sneaks by those two troopers after he deactivates the shields? The two of them are talking about some speeder or something and about how this is just "another drill". Now to me, these two seem pretty independent for troopers thus they seem not to be clones.

Also after the stormtroopers waste the rebels on Tantiv. You see a stormtrooper helping another stormtrooper laying dead on the ground. That is until Darth Vader strolls in. A clonetrooper would just go forth and start killing instead of caring for his friend.

Remember the one thing clone troopers lack the most in is free thinking, they are yes- men.

All this information is of course arguable, this is just my point of view.

4. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    There have to be stormtroopers in Episode III, because Obi-Wan knows the name in Episode IV.

EU doesn't really enter the picture here. Barring some other explanation that explicitly says they are not clones, we are meant to conclude that the OT stormtroopers are the same as the troops in AOTC. If Jango has been giving his DNA for ten years, they have enough to last a while. Plus, Episode III only happens a few years after AOTC.

5. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Interestingly enough, both Clonetroopers and Stormtroopers are listed as 1.83 m tall. As are Snowtroopers and Scout troopers.

Either they're all clones, or the Empire has a really strict recruitment policy...

6. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    I think they must be a mix of both clones and regular recruits....simply cause in the OT, the troopers dont all have the same voice when they all speak.

7. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "simply cause in the OT, the troopers dont all have the same voice when they all speak."

Chalk that up to time and money constraints. Lucas didn't have much choice. Were that not the case, we wouldn't have the SE's, would we?

If you look at ESB and ROTJ, the troopers are much closer in height, and if I recall correctly, very few of them speak. The only ones that come to mind are the scout troopers in ROTJ.

We may just have to suffer with the irregularities in ANH. I wouldn't consider that as "proof".

8. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    ::remembers height difference in one of the earlier movies::

If you ever did see way back when, one storm trooper was quite taller than the rest, and did smack his head on his exit through the door frame.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If Jango has been giving his DNA for ten years, they have enough to last a while.

DNA does not simply "run out". It can be copied. In natural processes, such as mitosis, it is endlessly copied with a very low failure rate. Who is to say that these master cloners could not do the same?

Certainly inferior cloning techniques used in the modern world are able to accomplish so simple a feat.

10. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    " Who is to say that these master cloners could not do the same? "

George Lucas :D

(BTW, I do agree with you.}

11. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    DNA does not simply "run out". It can be copied. In natural processes, such as mitosis, it is endlessly copied with a very low failure rate. Who is to say that these master cloners could not do the same?

Oh good. You're not presenting the "Multiplicity" theory/argument that I've heard. They probably could do that. There's nothing to say that they couldn't still be Jango clones in the OT.

And as for the voice thing, let's follow that through to conclusion. If voices prove identity, then the Boba Fett from the OT can't be the Boba Fett from the PT. Why? Because he doesn't have a New Zealand accent, doesn't sound a bit like Temura Morrison.

12. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "If voices prove identity, then the Boba Fett from the OT can't be the Boba Fett from the PT. Why? Because he doesn't have a New Zealand accent, doesn't sound a bit like Temura Morrison."

I would even attribute this to the Fetts having different helmets, but a lot of people are hell-bent on it being the same helmet, so I won't. ;)

(BTW, I always get a laugh when I consider the Multiplicity theory. In all honesty, it's not completely implausible, but it could lead to troopers drooling on themselves, eating their guns, or putting helmets on backwards [face_laugh] )

(Oh, and walking into doors [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh])

13. Galactic_Emperor

Galactic_Emperor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    I think that the stormtroopers are all clones. Its illogical otherwise.

14. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    Just a question that I thought of while reading the posts on this thread. What is the lifespan of a clone? Am I correct that they age at an accelerated rate? If so is it possible that the empire stopped making clones and started recruiting, and their original stock has aged past use. if that is true than the terminoligy "clonetrooper" would not be correct any longer.

15. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    I don't think it's been state that this acceleration continues indefinitely, or if it can be "turned off" at a certain point.

If it takes ten years to age from 0 to 30(?), then the clones are only good for about 5 more years (sorry in advance to any old-timers posting in this thread. :D )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.