main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cloning in Adobe After Effects

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DarthMike3, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMike3

DarthMike3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2002
    Hey, I see the awesome cloning effects that Ryan has on his website, and I was wondering how to clone and hard/time consuming it is to do. I'm very new to AE so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Thanks.

2. andalite

andalite Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    film yourself in two different locations of the camera view, not ovelapping yourself. Keep the camera stationary. When you import the footage into AE put each clip of yourself in the timeline one on top of the other, then use a mask to erase the area that you are in on layer two. hard to explain, but if you have any questions, just ask.

3. ultimateguy

ultimateguy Jedi Master star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm also curious about this effect. Wouldn't you just be able to change the mode of the layer to screen?

4. andalite

andalite Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    no you couldn't because then the actor would be semi-transparent in the darker areas, masking is the best way to go.

5. dark_lord_biped

dark_lord_biped Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 16, 2002
    you could also shoot a slate shot for the bg stuff then shott the clone subject on a green screen bam same effect

6. ultimateguy

ultimateguy Jedi Master star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    So what kind of mask would it be? What color? I really have no idea.

7. sithgoblin3

sithgoblin3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    uh?

a mask of the footage... no colour...

8. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I have seen footage at a local production group here in high school that was so convincing I didn't know that it was an actual cloning (the clone was a background character that only had his face shown intermitantly) and it was all done using screen in either Premiere of AE, I can't remember which program.

9. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    I've always wanted to try cloning... mb i should try it tonight... hmmmmm...

*ambles downstairs to his camera and tripod...*

If i decide to do this I'll post it up... as for how to do it, dont you just film 2 shots of yourself in different places, put one over the other, and erase where the other part is so the other part shows through?

10. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    There's some info on it in my behind the scenes documentary but generally you:

- Take two shots from same location
    - put them on separate layers in AE
    - create a mask (animated, turn on 'keyframing', if it needs to move) on the top layer to enclose only the clone. Feathered edges help.
    - voila!

/Z

11. DarthMike3

Oct 7, 2002
    I'll be the first to say it looks like a 2 year old did it, but here is a what I managed to whip up so far. Thank you all very much for your advice.

12. DarthMike3

Oct 7, 2002
    Oh, and does anyone know what the white flexks are on the left clone?

13. vinman009

vinman009 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 9, 2002
    make sure ou get the lighting right and feather the mask as much as possible so you dont see a line around the subject and also mak sure you dont feather it as much as to it starts eating you away.

but got to remember the lighting ;)

vince

14. DarthMike3

Oct 7, 2002
    Is there a way I can take a shot of the background, turn it into a still image, and have that as a layer in AE that I can use to mask to from my movie?

15. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    You could do that easily. Just put the background layer on the bottom. It'd be easiest to actually put the objects onto the background using a bluescreen, but you could make a mask only showing the objects.

16. Deyrian_Kreaton

Deyrian_Kreaton Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2002
    Well, my Dad is a genetics researcher and I have found that by getting him to clone me it works better. :)

No, actually I've never done movies, but I've done cloning in stills. I just open one in MSPAINT and the other in another MSPAINT. Then I select and copy myself out of one of them and then paste in the other. Worked for me before I got ANY Adobe products. I haven't done it any other way. I know to do a video I'd need to do it in After Effects or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.