main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Closer than Blood (Cast of FOTJ, OCs)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Revanfan1, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Nyota's Heart, jcgoble3, Darkwriter, earlybird-obi-wan, Gemma, Force Smuggler, JediMaster_Jen

Chapter 4

Ben was squeezing his way out of the briefing room when a hand clasped onto his shoulder. Ben turned and found Seha standing behind him, a look of concern and confusion on her face. Ben started to explain that everything would be fine, but she interrupted him before he could speak.

"Aren't you forgetting something, Ben?" she demanded.

Ben frowned. "Forgetting something?"

"Yes."

"Uh...don't think so. What do you mean?"

Seha slapped her forehead into an open palm. "Allana. Little girl. Eleven years old. Your apprentice."

"What about h–oooohh."

"Yeah, 'oooohh.' You can't take an eleven-year-old girl on a potentially lethal mission!"

"Yes he can," Allana argued.

Ben turned. Allana stood behind him, an expression of determination on her face. Ben recognized the expression; he'd seen it on Jacen's own face many times when he had been told he could not do something on a mission, and intended to do it anyways. Usually, when he made that expression, he got his way.

"It's too dangerous, Allana," Ben said. "You should probably stay here."

Allana's expression remained hard. "I killed Sith in the Jedi Temple, Ben. I can handle this."

Ben considered briefly. "Hard to argue with that...but Allana, you don't even have a real lightsaber, just your training blade."

"Then I guess it'll be up to you as my Master to watch my back."

Before Ben could argue, Allana darted out of the room–doubtless to pack her bags. Ben closed his eyes, pinched the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger, and sighed. The way Seha breathed sounded like she was trying very hard not to laugh. Finally, he opened his eyes and looked at her. She had her hand covering her mouth, and her shoulders were shaking.

"I can handle her," Ben said stubbornly.

"Oh, I don't dare doubt you," she said, now laughing uncontrollably.

"Do you want to be on my team or not?"

"S-sorry," she giggled. "Yes, I want to be on your team."

"Then pack your bags and meet me at the Shadow. We need to get moving ASAP."

Seha nodded, turned, and exited the room. Ben glanced around the room. He wanted to bring at least one more Knight on the mission, just in case–he was sure that he and Seha could handle almost anything together, as could Valin and Jysella, but with Allana along it was better to be safe than sorry. Before he could make his choice, he felt a tapping on his side. He glanced down.

"I'd like to volunteer my services," said Tekli.

Ben frowned at her. "You haven't been on a mission in years, Tekli. Are you sure?"

Tekli nodded. "I am. Jedi Bann could be injured and need medical aid."

"All right. Meet me at the Jade Shadow."

Ben turned away from the little Chadra-Fan and found his father's gaze. Luke moved toward Ben, concern written all over his face. Ben knew he didn't like the idea of him being the one going on the mission. But of course, that was just his fatherly protective instinct.

"It'll be all right, Dad," he said.

"I know," Luke replied. "I'm not worried about that, so much–it's Bakura."

Ben nodded. "You're worried about her, aren't you?"

"I am. Since Mara died...I feel like I've neglected her, and if she feels the same way..."

"Dad, she's a grown woman. She'll know why, and understand."

"It's just, I feel responsible for her."

"I know you do, Dad."

"If you see her, tell her I said hello–and that I still love her."

"I will." He stepped forward and hugged Luke. "I love you, Dad."

"Love you too, son. Be safe."

Ben, Allana, Seha, Tekli, and Anji–Allana's pet nexu–gathered in the hangar next to the Jade Shadow. Each of them was dressed in a brown light-armored utility suit, with their lightsabers strapped to their left hip and–except for Allana–a blaster to their right. Ben felt guilty even seeing Allana wearing the combat uniform, which had become so common for the Jedi to wear during the Yuuzhan Vong War and after.

They quickly loaded supply crates into the Shadow's cargo hold and sealed it up. Then, with one last look back at the hangar, they entered the Shadow and walked up to the cockpit. Ben knew, though he had been too young to remember, that this was not Tekli's first journey aboard the Shadow. When she had been about Ben's age, she had gone with Luke, Mara, Jacen, Saba Sebatyne, and Danni Quee on a search for the mythical living world of Zonama Sekot.

Ben hoped it didn't bring up bad memories for her.

In the cockpit, Ben powered up the ship and transmitted a request for departure to the hangar controller. After a moment, the controller–a Bith Jedi Knight–returned the signal, and the hangar doors opened. Ben reached out and took the Shadow's controls.

"Here we go," he said, trying to keep worry from his voice.

The Shadow launched from the hangar and Ben quickly took it up through Shedu Maad's atmosphere. They soon passed out of orbit and were deep within the Transitory Mists, a region of ionized space surrounding the Hapes Cluster. The Mists were dangerous to travel unless you knew the proper routes, and they were often responsible for cutting off comm signals between planets inside the cluster and those outside.

Ben piloted the ship expertly through the Mists. When they had finally passed the ionized red and blue clouds, and were in the familiar blackness of normal space, Ben input the coordinates to Bakura in the ship's navicomputer.

"Can I do it?" Allana asked.

Ben grinned back at her. "Go ahead."

Allana reached forward eagerly and pulled the hyperdrive lever. There was a flicker of pseudomotion, and the ship burst into hyperspace.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet letting Allana handle the hyperspace levers. Aww on the parting between Luke and Ben. :D

Nice sorta mention of Malinza. =D=

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Malinza? Or however you spell her name? This should be fun!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Love Allana's reaction to Seha's concerns about her going on the mission.

And LOL at Luke thinking about an old girlfriend. [face_laugh]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Not the girlfriend, actually–she's been dead awhile.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yup, it's Gaeriel's daughter whom Luke and Mara promised to look after...

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I loved Malinza's appearance in the NJO, but I hate that they just dropped her afterwards. Yet another thing the post-NJO EU messed up. [face_sigh]

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Ah. I must not have read that book (whatever it is) yet.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006
    So it appears to me that Ben is starting to look a bit like his namesake. I can't complain--Obi-Wan is one of my favorites.

I love how Ben tries to tell Ben that she can't go on the mission and she's all, "Yes I can, fool." This is the girl whose father kidnapped her and had her inside an X-Wing during a space battle. She can handle anything.

So excited about Malinza! I always liked the inferred pseudo father-daughter relationship between her and Luke.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Malinza appears as a four-year-old in The Corellian Trilogy, is mentioned briefly in New Jedi Order: Balance Point, and appears as a teenager in New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I like how Seha had to remind Ben about Allana. I like how you are including the pet nexu which is full grown at this point.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    A great team to start the mission.
    Love how Allanna got on the team

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Nice reference to Malinza. Hopefully we'll get to see her. :) Loved Allana's excitement at pulling the hyperspace lever.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Nyota's Heart, jcgoble3, Darkwriter, earlybird-obi-wan, Gemma, Force Smuggler, JediMaster_Jen

Chapter 5

The hyperspace trip to Bakura was a long one, so Ben took Allana back to the Shadow's sparring room. In the middle of the room was a large, blue foam mat with a wide white circle running around the center. Ben pulled his tunic off, so he was only wearing his white undershirt, and hung it on a peg on the wall. He moved into the circle. Allana frowned and followed him.

"We're going to practice hand-to-hand combat today," Ben said. "A Jedi won't always have access to weapons, and you need to be able to defend yourself if you lose your lightsaber."

Allana nodded cautiously. "Okay..."

"I want you to stretch first," Ben said.

He led Allana in a series of stretches. After about three minutes, Seha came in and appeared to make a snap decision. She pulled her own tunic off and joined them in the circle, quickly stretching along with them. When they'd gone through what Ben considered to be a satisfactory warm up, he motioned for Allana to stand on one side of the circle.

"I want you to assume a stance as if you're holding a lightsaber," he said. "Feet shoulder-width apart, the ball of your left foot lined up with the toes of your right foot. Hold your arms in close, ready to block."

Allana nodded. "Like this?"

"Yes, exactly." Ben assumed the stance himself. "Now, punch outward, aiming for the solar plexus–you'll have to aim a bit higher, given your size."

Allana nodded and did as told. Ben and Seha did, as well, striking quickly and efficiently, their fists pulling back as soon as they'd reached their maximum extension. After a few punches, Ben nodded.

"All right, now kick. Kick fast, and snap your leg back. Don't give your opponent time to grab your leg if you miss."

He snapped his leg out and pulled it back so quickly the movement was a blur. Allana kicked her left leg. Ben shook his head.

"No, kick with your back leg; you'll get more power."

Allana pursed her lips and kicked her right leg. Ben nodded; the movement was faster, more powerful, and more balanced.

"Good, good." He pointed at the training room's padded wall. "I want you to go practice on the wall for a bit. Punches and kicks."

Allana moved over to the wall and started raining blows on it. Ben stepped back, crossed his arms, and watched. Seha moved up beside him. Allana's blows were impressive for her age and size; she wouldn't be able to take down a full-sized man, unless she caught him in the groin, but she might be able to go toe-to-toe with a smaller alien.

"She learns quickly," Seha said. "It's sad, that an eleven-year-old has to know these things."

"Yeah," Ben replied. "Still, with the Sith out there...it's better safe than sorry."

"Can I stop now?" Allana asked. She was beginning to pant a bit.

"Yes," Ben said. "Come back. I'm going to show you some grapples."

Allana stood back inside the circle. Ben stepped forward and extended his left hand.

"Grab my wrist," he said. "Hold it as tightly as you can."

Allana extended her hand and wrapped it around his wrist. Ben pulled his hand straight back and down; it didn't break out of Allana's grip. The girl beamed, apparently believing she'd done something right. Ben almost hated to crush her spirit. He twisted his wrist to where the narrowest part was pointed at the crease where her thumb and forefinger merged. He pulled back and up, twisting at the waist as he did. His hand easily slid free of her grip.

"The thumb is the hand's weakest spot," Ben said. "Break out there."

He grabbed her by the wrist. Allana hesitated, and then did as he had, twisting her wrist and pulling up and away. Her hand jerked free from his grip. Ben grinned and gave her an encouraging nod.

"Good," he said. "Now, moving on..."

He took her through many more moves, teaching her how to escape from various grips and, following that, get her opponent in a grip of her own that would disable him long enough for her to land a blow. Due to her smaller size, he encouraged her to use the Force to nudge him in the direction she was flipping or pulling him at any given time, although he told her not to use it as a crutch. Eventually, she'd have to rely on her own strength alone.

"Now," Ben said. "Let's show you what this looks like all put together."

He and Seha stepped into the center of the ring. Seha grabbed Ben by the collar; Ben pushed her hand aside, grabbed her wrist, pulled her forward, and pushed her down by her elbow. Before she hit the ground, however, to Ben's surprise, she twisted around, dropped on her back, and planted both of her feet in Ben's gut. She kicked out and up, pushing Ben clear over her to land on his back. As he did, she rolled on top of him, pinning him down with her knees. Ben looked up at her in shock, his eyes wide. She giggled. So did Allana.

"Well...that's not exactly what I intended," Ben gasped. "But it was a good move."

And Seha's knees were digging into his chest. He winced.

"Okay, point made, ow! Get off!"

Seha rolled off and hopped to her feet. She helped Ben stand. Sheepishly, he scratched the back of his neck. Allana had her hand over her mouth, her shoulders still bobbing with laughter.

"What's so funny, little miss?" Ben demanded. He activated the intercom. "Tekli, come down here. Allana needs someone to spar with."

He and Seha moved to the far side of the circle and faced each other. They burst into abrupt motion, Ben's fist flying for Seha's solar plexus. She blocked, pushing his arm aside, and returned a blow of her own. Ben caught her arm with his and swung another blow around to her head. Their blows continued rapidly. Ben kicked with his right leg; Seha pulled her leg up, avoiding the strike. And they continued, a fight and a dance all in one.

Gemma and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Crud, double post.

16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I see someone's taking inspiration from real-life experiences. Recent ones, at that. :D

I love Allana laughing at Seha pinning Ben to the ground. And Ben's response was perfect.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes indeed! :p

jcgoble3 likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What a fun, good chapter!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great chapter showing her how to fight and love the fun between Ben and Seha

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Nice teaching from Ben. I liked how you had Seha there and how she surprised Ben. Good call for Allana to see. And I like how it launched a learning/teaching exercise for Ben and Seha. Very well written indeed.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb! You really know your hand to hand stuff enough even to explain it to a noob [face_laugh] =D= Very well done. :)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006
    Great post! Allana seems very serious, but she obviously is a quick learner. I can only guess that will come in handy soon!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Hey RF1! Can you do a series of one shots/stories etc of Anakin, Jaina and Jacen growing up during the Bantam years and possibly alternate NJO timeline stories? Add Luke, Mara, Lando, the Rogues etc? Reading a story on FFN similar to that and it is so much fun.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, yes, yes. yes. [face_batting]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I just finished The Crimson Force - stellar work as usual! I'll catch up on this story as quickly as I can. I'm looking forward to seeing what adventure you've cooked up for Ben this time around :D

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.