main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Clothes and Fashion in the Galaxy Far Far Away

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Nice, but what do he were on his days of?
    Also have we seen any mon cal with a hat?

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    [​IMG]

(Although to be fair that's probably an updated "supreme commander" outfit, not an off-duty uniform.)

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    We have seen a loot of wookies looking badass but have we seen any looking pretty? And what is the the wookie idea of pretty?​

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've seen a pic that was titled "Wookiee Courtesan." Depending on your point of view, it's either hilarious or horrifying.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Were can I find that pic?

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've been trying to remember where I saw it. Might have been on Deviantart.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This one?
    http://jadeonar.deviantart.com/gall...aarr-Wookie-Courtesan-186775543?_sid=61591001

Valin__Kenobi and Sarge like this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Of course it would be Deviantart.

10. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    If disappointed with the EU fashion, always be sure that Deviantart has something worse to horrify you and destroy the rest of your inner child.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What kind of stiles have we seen in tattooing and what kinds of people have tattoos? And have we seen any culture were tattooing is an important part of the culture?

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Vong.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They are tattooed? I thought they were just into scarifying and piercings

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I could cheat and quote the Wook on tattoos, but that would be boring. So I'll just randomly bring up a style that's made me curious over the years concerning tattoos:

The Zealots of Psusan. They show up in the EU randomly, and I don't think much has been done in the way of explaining what they're all about, beyond the AOTC source books and that one Who's Who Insider article on the Outlander club. But you can always tell who they are by their tattoos.

Khaleen Hentz is probably the most well-known:

[​IMG]

Breela is another from the comics:

[​IMG]

And there's the trio of gals hanging around Obi-Wan and Elan in the club in AOTC, which made the style famous. They all had the tattoos as well:

[​IMG]

Honestly, nothing known about any of these characters, Khaleen included, gives us any information about the Psusan cult. I was waiting for Khaleen to mention it in Republic, but IIRC she never did. We know it's from Kuat, but really not a whole lot else since only the sourcebooks mention it.

spicer, Mia Mesharad and Gamiel like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    They do tattoos that are in the same patterns as their scars.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why?

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Because it looks cool, maybe. Don't think it's ever explained. [face_dunno]

Gamiel likes this.
  18. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Kiffar are tattooed as infants, the markings denote which clan their mother belonged to. if mom is not kiffar they get dad like Quinlan Vos's son Korto

19. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a lengthy Wookieepedia article on tattoos, their significance in a number of cultures, as well as their prominence and meaning among a variety of individuals.

Zabraks, Yuuzhan Vong, Kiffar, and Mirialans are just a few of the major cultures who made use of ritual tattooing, while tattoos were used to mark slaves and as symbols of ownership by the Crucible, the Rakata and their Force hounds, and other slaver operations. Clone troops used tattoos as a means of expressing individuality, while Mandalorians and Hutts sometimes donned tattoos of their clan affiliations, and a variety of criminals from pirates to Black Sun members could often be found marked with tattoos of their organizations' crest.

Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So all the fasical markings we have seen on Zabraks were tattoos? If so I am a bit disappointed, I liked to think that there were a bigger visible difference between (standard) humans and zabraks then just the horns:(

Is there any guide to the symbolism in the Mirialans tattoo tradition?

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen any tattoo stile in SW resembling that of the old-school seaman stile?

22. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I believe the Mirialians add diamonds or other marks on their face/hands whenever they accomplish a great achievement in life, or have mastered a particular skill. I think Barriss mentioned that to Jos Vondar in Medstar (someone correct me if I'm wrong -- for some reason I remember him asking about it, but maybe that's a false memory or something).

As for old-school seaman style:

Cade's bunch had some for Rav's gag, which were particularly pirate-like (especially considering Rav had a pseudo-peg/claw-leg!):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaking of pirate-like Feeorin, Nym had one too:

[​IMG]

Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know if the placement, pattern and/or size of the diamonds mark different accomplishments? And if so, what placement/pattern/size mark what accomplishment?

Just have to mention, I love Rav's "peg-leg"

Maybe we should take a look at pirate fashion next

24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe so. I remember it struck me as odd, because it appears as though Barriss has more tattoos than Luminara.

Come to think of it, I believe the original tattoo = accomplishment idea came from one of the actresses who played Barriss... because I'm vaguely remembering one of them mentioning it in an interview. If it was TCW's voice actress, she was likely referring to something Dave Filoni told her in the EU.

You asked for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...Because real pirates wear speedos.

Havac , Gorefiend and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There's also Vex from Agent of the Empire.
    [​IMG]

Suffice to say, pirates aren't known for practical clothing choices. :p

Barriss_Coffee and Revanfan1 like this.