main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Clothes and Fashion in the Galaxy Far Far Away

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Sep 30, 2013.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    [​IMG]

The Palpatine Youth... and among them Shira Brie aka Lumiya.

in stark contrast some Zeltron designs.. the males definitely revive the 80s.. well some obscure part of the 80s at least..

[​IMG]

and their design for Leia which is an interesting contrast and antithesis in itself... but why I posted this picture is, look at all the hairstyles and clothes of the other attendees of the party on the left panel!!!

[​IMG]

Gamiel likes this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You mean SAGroup, CH. ;)

Anyway, hm. I've been aware of that quote for some time now, but hadn't seen the image. It's a very... classicizing, almost Roman, look for the Imperial Palace and those goose-stepping COMPNOR crazies. Harkening back to ancient Notron, I'd suppose.

3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    If TOR's anything to go by, it's because of the Vitiate's Sith Empire getting assimilated into the Republic.

4. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    There's also some punk fashion
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Actually those seem to be the uniforms of the System Militias these guys belong though ;)

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think many societies count military uniforms as formal wear

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, but that's not exactly the point -- the formal versions of military uniforms count as formal attire, but they're not exactly representative of normal formalwear either.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  8. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Any idea, what they hide under their hats?

9. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    I can see why. :D

AusStig likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    what is normal change with the time

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe the height of fashion on Remulak!

Gorefiend likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Leave the blaster. Take the blue milk.

13. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    That Padmé outfit comes up in the weirdest places.

You have posted this once before. I remember it because I started to call my lounge suit "the informal suit" after it. Considering that I don't know anyone who has more formal clothes than those (I certainly don't have) I wasn't surprised that people didn't get it.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Tonight he sleeps with the bloatfish.

Sarge and Gorefiend like this.
  15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Alright, since this thread is here, I might as well put it to good use. When designing a fictional universe, you're constantly walking a fine line between what looks foreign but plausible and the simply absurd. Too much like our own world, and you begin to lose the sense of everything occurring in a different time and place. Too strange, however, and you risk your characters looking ridiculous, or even if they don't, the possibility of your designs aging poorly (much like how the present was envisioned by people in the thirties, forties, and fifties). And so, I think the best approach is to try and run parallel to modern designs as closely as one is able, to retain the ability to easily tell what clothes signify about their wearers (this is what a doctor wears, this is how lawyers dress, this is a uniform, etc.), while still incorporating elements that would clearly be out of place in our own world.

[​IMG]

Here you have variations on the classic Imperial uniform, designed (but sadly never implemented) for Revenge of the Sith. If we were to recolor them and alter the design slightly, they would all work very well as environmentally-customized uniforms, similar to stormtrooper armor. The uniform on the left bears some resemblance to uniforms worn in the desert by colonial forces in ages past, and would not look out of place on Tatooine. The uniform on the right brings to mind Soviet greatcoats, and would work well as a cold-weather alternative for officers deployed on worlds like Hoth. Both are obviously military uniforms, but aren't so tied down to one place and time that you can't imagine them being practical or in style in any other era.

[​IMG]

Here we're looking at more normal "street level" clothes, though Han is clearly the odd man out (seriously, he either wears the same clothes all the time, or has twenty identical copies of the same shirt and vest). What I find most interesting about this picture is how close many of the clothes appear to their Earthly counterparts. Apart from a few extra straps here and there, the clearest defining difference is that they look a good deal heavier than what your average person wears, except in winter. It's similar to the effect used by the Assassin's Creed series in the alteration of historical costumes to allow us to take their wearers more seriously: elements are thickened or lengthened, so as to make the clothes appear larger and heavier and their wearers more intimidating.

[​IMG]

And here we have representatives from various planetary forces, which definitely bring to mind the elaborate formal designs for uniforms from the 1800s and early 1900s. They've clearly been streamlined for efficiency, lacking the numerous medals and other dangly bits we usually pin on our officers, but they're immediately identifiable for what they are without looking as if they're tied to any one era.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I've always liked the old-timey look of those PSF uniforms. It definitely gives a sort of late Victorian / early 20th century analog look to that.

edit: I've always been fascinated by Quest's SW Gamer depiction -- I suppose it's intended to be court attire?

[​IMG]

17. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    For some reason, I never noticed the ankle rings before. Now I wish it had stayed that way.

18. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    No one could achieve perfection in the Dark Side without mutton chops...

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Why do Jedi robes and Tatooine moisture farmer getup have so much in common?

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Probably because Lucas forgot that Ben was supposed to be wearing a disguise in ANH and he said, Oh, that's probably what I meant Jedi to wear all along! :oops:

Landb and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    On one hand I like that they don't all look like Han Solo (way to many "scoundrels" look like Han Solo copies) on the other hand, I am bit disappointed that they all look like they buy their clothes at the same store; maybe it is the light but to me they look a like they belong to a Smugglers & Scoundrels comursial
    Also I know that the scoundrel part of Star Wars is were we find most of the wild west/pulp influences but is it to much to ask for some shout-outs to north South America, west Africa, south Asia, 1300 Scandinavia and/or Cossacks? And/or just some primary colours?

DarthIshyZ, Daala and Ordo N-11 like this.
  22. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    What's this character's name?

Richard Cranium?

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we have any pictures of Corellian formel wear? And/or Han Solo in formel wear?

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I was going to say this scene, but on second thought it looks more like a pajama party:

[​IMG]

Ordo N-11 and kataja like this.
  25. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Tunic. It's a tunic!

[​IMG]

Thus, its a tunic party (not to be confused with a toga party).

Gamiel likes this.