main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA "Cloverfield" Movie Trailer... Is it really Voltron? ---S

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AKAI_FETT, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKAI_FETT

AKAI_FETT Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2006
    I went to the Sac boards today and saw this.

http://boards.theforce.net/sacramento_ca/b10140/27048351/p1/?5

I was going to post something about it but had no time until now...while at work.[face_whistling]
    Those of you who saw Transformers, may have took an interst in this trailer as I did.
    Could it be?

also:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/06/29/jj-abrams-top-secret-trailer-for-cloverfield-in-front-of-transformers/

scroll to play the trailer...

2. NivekSkywalker

NivekSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2006
    that would be so kick ass if it was indeed a trailer for Voltron! so long as it's the lions not the vehicles.

3. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    From IMDB: A giant monster movie (referred to internally as "The Parasite") which is shot using home video cameras from the point of view of people who are experiencing the attack on New York City.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/synopsis I don't see how it could be Voltron or Voltes Five considering that show took place in the far future and in space.

Think Blair Witch meets Godzilla. But if you wanna see a good monster movie I highly recommend The Host http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/the-host2.html

If there were a Voltron movie, the licensing news would have exploded in the net because of the various rights holders, the US company and the original Japanese one. And the problem with that is how do you make a Voltron movie NOT like Power Rangers?[face_thinking] Other than getting rid of the Spandex.

4. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    I seriously doubt it is Voltron.

5. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    There is a review of a script for voltron here:

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=65%20discuss

6. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Forget Voltron, I don't think JJ has that in mind...

From www.scifi.com

Cloverfield Hype Begins

The mysterious teaser trailer playing with Transformers this weekend touts Lost co-creator J.J. Abrams' upcoming SF project, an as-yet-untitled movie code-named Cloverfield, and a viral Web promotion has also begun.

Two new viral Web sites have gone live, Ethan Haas Was Right and Ethan Haas Was Wrong, with puzzles somehow related to the movie.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the entire project has moved forward under a cloak of secrecy. Abrams is producing the film, which is being directed by Matt Reeves, who co-created Abrams' Felicity, and it's written by Drew Goddard, who has worked with Abrams on Lost and Alias.

To cast the film, no scripts or even scene pages were sent out; agents who were contacted were simply asked if their client wanted to be in the movie or not. The cast includes Michael Stahl-David (The Black Donnellys), Odet Jasmin, Mike Vogel (Supercross) and Lizzy Kaplan (The Class). The movie is slated to open Jan. 18, 2008.

7. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Forget Voltron, I don't think JJ has that in mind...

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=42332

Still working on the second puzzle, grrr.

8. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    Actually I have heard it may be Lovecraft. Cthulu? Don't know too much about it cause I don't know Lovecraft.

9. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Official word on Voltron:

Voltron is Coming Together at Fox
    Source: Variety
    August 10, 2007

20th Century Fox-based production company New Regency has partnered with the Mark Gordon Company to adapt Voltron: Defender of the Universe into a possible franchise.

Producer Mark Gordon has been developing the film, based on the popular 1980s Japanese animated TV series, comic books and toy line, for some time with Justin Marks writing the script.

But interest in the property hit a high after Transformers turned into a box office juggernaut, raking in nearly $300 million to date.

Marks' take is described as a post-apocalyptic tale of survival set in New York City and Mexico.

In the animated series, five Galaxy Alliance pilots control vehicles shaped like lions that combine and form the massive sword-wielding Voltron robot in order to battle an evil menace.

Gordon is producing with Lawrence Inglee and Jordan Wynn shepherding the project. Mark Costa and Ford Oelman are executive producers.

Marks is also adapting He-Man and the Masters of the Universe for Joel Silver at Warner Bros., as well as the Green Arrow pic Supermax, also at the studio. Marks also has Street Fighter in the works at Hyde Park and Fox.

10. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    JJ Abrams said at Comic-con that his movie was definatly not voltron. He wouldn't say what the monster was but said it was inspired by godzilla, that america needed a monster of its own.

11. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Let's just hope it's not as bad as the last attempt to make an American Godzilla movie.[face_worried]

12. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000

America has a monster of it's own, its name is George W. Bush. :p

13. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    LOL. That's funny.

14. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    From RottenTomatoes.com
    Say what you will about his followthrough, but J.J. Abrams knows how to set up a project. He's established himself as something of a trailblazer for viral ads, littering the Web with various Lost-related content, and he's using the same tactics to create buzz for his next film production -- so much buzz, in fact, that the thing doesn't even have an official title yet, and that's news, as Slashfilm's Peter Sciretta recently learned firsthand.

How intense is the speculation surrounding the film (referred to, up 'til now, as 1-18-08 or Cloverfield)? As Sciretta posted at Slashfilm on Tuesday, enterprising fans have been poring over copyright registration paperwork. (We can just hear our mothers now: "If you only gave that kind of effort to your homework...") Anyway, an attorney named Lori N. Boatright has registered a trademark for the title Overnight, and this just happens to be the same Lori Boatright who did the same for the trademarks protecting Abrams' Bad Robot production company, as well as a pair of slogans thought to be connected with the upcoming movie.

Translation? It seems like a pretty safe bet that 1-18-08/Cloverfield is actually going to be called Overnight -- or that someone wants to make a bunch of hyper-caffeinated movie afficionados think that's what it'll be called, which would be sort of a mean trick, but also very funny.

How big is the story? Big enough to land Sciretta on a segment of CNBC's On the Money. Whether this movie is any good obviously remains to be seen, but even if it turns out to be the worst release of 2008, it'll be valuable as an example of exactly how to market a film.

Source: Slashfilm

15. AKAI_FETT

Feb 27, 2006
    OK, so we all know by now, it's not Voltron. But it was one hellava ride. Great flick and shot well. The only complaint I have, is not about Cloverfield itself, but the stupid-stupid-stupid @$$ Star Flippin' Trek teaser.
    EGG!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

...go see Cloverfield.

16. NivekSkywalker

NivekSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2006
    yeah what the hell is up with that star trek crap for the trailers! other than that cloverfield was a good flick. ended abruptly though!

17. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    The Trek trailer was because it's a Paramount property as well as directed by JJ Abrahms, the producer of Cloverfield. I'm still skeptical about it as a Trek fan and after seeing what Abrahms has done on the big screen(even more so, actually).

Well, the positive thing about having low expectations is that you don't get disappointed. There were plenty of points in the movie I enjoyed. Most of which did not involve humans. This is a giant monster movie after all and I would have preffered more giant monster than shaky cam. The gimmick wore thin after a while and drew too much attention to itself "Oooh, look we can make this look like real hand held by doing a lot of shaking and crooked angles." The effects were cool. and the monster was handled well. In fact I was rooting for it. Definitely a step up from the US version of Godzilla, but still not as fun as...oh, Tremors. The Host handled characters better at least, even if human characters usually don't matter in these films. The movie is worth a rental at least. But if you've seen The Blair Witch Project you can see how it's gonna end.

I highly recommend, The Host as an alternative contemporary monster movie with decent plot and production. And almost any of the Toho Godzilla movies for pure fun.

18. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    I finally saw this movie - three things:

1. I wanted to throw-up
    2. The ending sucked
    3. I wanted to throw-up

19. AKAI_FETT

Feb 27, 2006
    4 things... U SUCK!!!!

20. Harlock415