Sac, CA "Cloverfield" Movie Trailer... Is it really Voltron?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by TaintedJedi, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Rumors have been flying about for awhile now that there's a Voltron movie in production.

Well, look for a trailer in front of The Transformers... it starts out like some bad home movie of some teen kegger... until something akin to an earthquake rocks the building. People start screaming, streaming out into the streets, the footage faithfully reproducing the frantic camcorder-style recording of a flight down stairs with black outs and grain and all.

A ball of fire explodes near the top of one building, sending streams of flaming debris out into the night sky.

All in all it's a trailer that truly must be witnessed to capture the intensity of it.

Someone then turns, screams something like "oh my god the lions..." and then the head of the statue of liberty comes tumbling down the middle of the street. The screen fades out to be replaced with "Produced by JJ Abrams... 1/8/08. My research tells me the movie has been giving the working title "Cloverfield"... and is akin to a giant monster invasion movie.

Could it be...?

-TJ
  2. RUSSELLSTANSBERY2 Jedi Knight

star 2
    [face_peace] TJ I saw it, I went to go see Transformers today.
  3. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Me too. You heard the "ZOMG T3H L10NZ" dialog, right?

-TJ
  4. RUSSELLSTANSBERY2 Jedi Knight

star 2
  5. CaeliRose Jedi Knight

star 2
    According to www.imdb.com Voltron is being made by a different company than the one JJ Abrams is using for Cloverfield. But both are set to be released sometime in 2008. [face_batting]
  6. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I know. But both are potential paramount pictures... is it likely? No. But if it were, it'd be one of the greatest stealth blockbusters I can remember... maybe the first Matrix... in terms of just sneaking under the radar. But with that january 2008 release date... no. Probably not.
  7. CaeliRose Jedi Knight

star 2
    I found this on the Wikipedia website:

"Film adaptation
    In July 2005, producer Mark Gordon announced a collaboration with singer Pharrell Williams as well as producers Mark Costa and Frank Oelman to make a live-action film adaptation of the franchise. Pharrell Williams was also reported to score the film.[2] In December 2006, screenwriter Justin Marks was announced to have completed a script for Gordon.[3] It will be distributed by Paramount Pictures or Columbia Pictures and World Events Productions."
  8. darkknight271980 Jedi Padawan

I'm not sure its Voltron, although it would be cool. But per mania.com and wikipedia the budget for Cloverfield is only $30 million. Not sure I would like to see a $30 million voltron movie. I think that 'A Sound of thunder' cost more and they had the worst CGI/visual effects of a modern movie. I kinda thought it might have been the new Incredible hulk movie when i 1st saw it. But not with a small budget like that. Looks great though I cant wait to hear more.
  9. Tev_Torbek Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok, they did Transformers, now Voltron, when are they going to Starblazers or Robotech??? I think those shows were WAY better!!!! And didn't George get his ideas for using star fighters from Star Blazers??? (at least that's what I heard, anyway)
  10. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, it's pretty much confirmed it's NOT Voltron. But it was an interesting thing to think about while the mystique lasted. As for George's inspiration, it was old Flash Gordon style serials, and he practically blocked out his action and camera movements straight from old World War One and Two footage from the plane's strafing runs/maneuvers/AA Gun Crew stylings...

-TJ
  11. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    And as for Starblazers and Robotech, they're both vastly different in the Japanese versions, Tev. Robotech is mired in so much legal issues it's own recent attempts at revitalizing the franchise have been lukewarm to mediocre. The last best thing to come out of Robotech was Battlecry for Xbox/Gamecube/PS2... the recent Shadow Chronicles Movie was horrible. Horrible designs, tepid plot, a real switch and bait. Not to mention the DECADES OF LEGAL ACTION Harmony Gold, Big West, and Studio Nue (?), among others, have been in. Robotech is three completely different unrelated shows in Japan, so the odds are very poor anything will get made that will be released stateside, that anyone will "recognize" as Robotech. If you want, check out the quirky "Do You Remember Love?" movie of Macross, which compresses the entire series into like 90 minutes... but liberties are definitely taken.

Starblazers, well, I'm not so familiar with it but it's Japanese title is really Space Battleship Yamato, in which the famous Japanese WW II carrier is rebuilt... a carrier that was sent on a suicide mission against American Allied forces in WW II. So there's a lot of history to deal with in that fashion. These properties are distinctly japanese, and were transformed for... "US Consumption".

-TJ
  12. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    To correct myself, it's a battleship, not a carrier. D'oh.

Additionally, Disney has apparently bought the rights to work on such a feature (Starblazers/Yamato), but it is almost completely unrelated - a crew of ragtag kids NOT patterned after the characters of the anime. Additionally, the ship would've been the Arizona - a vessel lost at Pearl Harbor. Development is currently stalled. Although a new version may be in the works.

-TJ
  13. Jedidoria Jedi Master

star 4
    TJ: :-B X 1000

Jedidoria: :confused: x 1000

Jedidoria's response to TJ's posts: "Huh???"
  14. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Tev was talking about several old anime (japanese animation) series getting made into movies. The problem is, they're mired in legal issues in the case of Robotech, and Starblazers has strong cultural/political connections in it's original japanese incarnation. I find both shows to be extremely unlikely to be produced here in the states as movies intended for the states. Maybe as a Japanese film, and then it would pretty "unrecognizable" to most of the US audience.

-TJ

TJ=l33t x 1 million
    JD=old foggie! :p
  15. Jedidoria Jedi Master

star 4
    That's not nice...it may be true...but it's not nice!:p
  16. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
  17. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
  18. Marric_Korde Jedi Master

star 4
    so is tobey gonna be Rick? or Max? or is this gonna be another craptastic redux(interpratation) of the orignal? and no I didn't bother to read the link.
  19. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Then you've got no reason to be asking questions until you do, Mr. Man!

-TJ
  20. Marric_Korde Jedi Master

star 4
    yes I do, because your my anime translator. sooo what is he doing?
  21. TaintedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    At this point, nobody knows much about "Tobeytech", as it's already been dubbed by many fans. I could give give you a laundry list of fan choices for various characters, but nothing much is known other then Tobey's "eying the lead role", but they don't specify what part they'll do and who might direct, etc. My bet is Macross Saga, but who knows...

-TJ
  22. Marric_Korde Jedi Master

star 4
    I want to see Roy Fokker, never did like his death scene though.
  23. Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  24. Marric_Korde Jedi Master

star 4
    only the cooles guy ever.
  25. Jedidoria Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, if he is truly the "cooles" guy ever, we know he must be great.:p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.