main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Club Camping Trip

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by jedi5150, Jun 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    OK, so Michelle wants to go camping for her birthday. So how's everyone feel about a camping trip the weekend of July 12-13?

Doug

2. nordicgal

nordicgal Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    COOL!!

Are we talking tent-camping, or cabin-camping?? Either is fine, but I prefer tents! :)

3. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    probably tent/camper/etc camping, although I can see if that cabin offer is still open.

4. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    YIPEEE!!! Yes, let's go camping. I am like Laura and prefer the tent thing, but for wussies like Michelle, a cabin might be needed. It will be a fun time anyway we do it. :)

5. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    So I guess one question is this: Who's got stuff? Post here what camping equipment you've got.

We've got a tent for our family on lay-away as well as a coleman cook stove. We'll have them by the planned weekend. We also have dishes for camping, a dutch oven, a couple of coolers, etc.

We need to decide on how to organize meals. Should we do group meals (potluck style) or have everyone bring their own stuff?

We should also discuss a location. A few members have suggested/requested that the location we choose have basic "facilities" such as a restroom. Several of the forest service campgrounds in Island Park have this feature. Buffalo campground is a good one, the Buffalo river is nearby and is shallow/mellow enough for a fun, casual float trip on innertubes, boats, etc. In addition there are fire pits and grills as well as a picnic table in just about every camp space.

**** EDIT *****

OK, just did some checking online, seems that Buffalo campground is pretty much booked for that weekend. Michelle and I stayed in Kelly Island campground a few years back and it was nice. It's just past Heise, and is $5.00/day. Here's a link:

Kelly Island Campground

Anybody else have suggestions? I think it would be best to avoid bear country... :)

Doug

6. starwars-widow

starwars-widow Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2003
    Ok Erin, I must defend myself. I had only mentioned the cabin because it had been offered some time ago, and was not aware of whether some members had camping stuff or not. Just my opinion, but I think Kelly Island would be good because it's close to Heise where we could go swimming, or golf. There is also a store to get ice or other supplies if needed. The last time we went camping the kids got bored because there wasn't enough to do.
    It would be nice if we got a little bit more feedback from club members even if it's a "I'm not a camping person, I think that idea sucks." Just to let us know your alive and have read the tread.

7. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Yipee Michelle. You have finally posted something on here. I am sorry I called you a wussie. I did admit to you that my only stipulation was a bathroom. Heise sounds like a fun place, I vote for that.

I have:
    2 tents
    1 extra air mattress
    access to coolers
    lawn chairs
    a tent heater (not really needed this time of year)
    and access to any kind of wood we might need for campfires and such
    many blankets for those who don't like the confines of sleeping bags.
    flashlights

I think that depending on who goes, we could always give a few people meals to work on. Easy stuff could be done, like tinfoil dinners, hotdogs....you know, stuff like that.

8. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Marvincade and I also have a lot of stuff:

*tent
    *tarps
    *sleeping mattress
    *heavy-duty sleeping bags (new - dying to use them!)
    *lots of blankets and pillows
    *coolers, including ones you put water in
    *camp stove
    *lanterns - both gas and battery-powered
    *flashlights
    *cooking equipment, including a Dutch oven
    *plates, cups, etc.
    *1 lawn chair
    *fishing stuff
    *firewood (good idea, Erin!)
    *games (Frisbee, hackey-sac, board games, cards, dominoes)
    *gold-panning pan
    *binoculars, field guides
    *telescope

I'm sure there's more, but I'm not remembering it right now!

We can rough it, if the campsites are "rustic," but I vote for at least the campsite having a toilet, even if it's of the "vault" kind (read: latrine).

With regards to meals.....I hope I don't sound like the Grinch when I say this, but I am leaning towards each family or person bringing their own stuff. This way, you bring what you like, and you're responsible for yourself. If you don't have a lot of cooking or eating equipment, we could all share, but I think food should be brought by each person/family.

That being said, however, if you want to share meals, I suggest we do so on an "easy" meal, such as breakfast. Just my opinion. :)

P.S. - BTW - What's wrong with bears?! ;)

9. BithLord42

BithLord42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2003
    Blah Blah Blah,

There Michelle, I posted

10. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    I wouldn't mind going camping. It's been years since I went on a camping trip. The 12-13 is the weekend before ComiCon, so I guess it depends on whether or not "Reepo" gets picked as a finalist.

11. MrsStrahd

MrsStrahd Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    Sounds like a lot of fun. As for whether or not I'll make it, I'll have to say "It depends." I'll have just returned from a workshop in Jackson, so I may find a campout quite relaxing. Or I may be too tired and would prefer a quiet weekend at home with Barry and the kiddos. So, I guess we'll wait and see.

12. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    So, do we have a final total of everyone going? It would be nice to know who is coming, if nothing else, then so we can all be on the look out for eachother. It will also help us decide how many campsites we need. If we are all into sharing, we can make this a cheaper event. Just a thought.

13. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Here's the headcount so far (as far as I know):

Doug, Michelle, and boys
    Erin
    Ryan
    Cory and Becky
    Laura and Alan

Here are some that I know are THINKING of going:

Erik
    Adam
    Nick W.
    Ken and Brooke
    Tory
    Valerie (and family?)

14. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Hey - not to change the subject, but I wanted to tell everyone that I found a place here in town that sells inner tubes for tubin' down the river. Big-O Tires on Northgate Mile sells 16" tubes for $13. They also sell bigger tubes (18" & 20" ?[face_plain] - the girl wasn't exactly sure) for $17. All the inner tubes are new. She also said they had plenty in stock!!

So, if you want to have something to float down the river on, give them a try!! :)

15. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    You can also get HUGE truck tubes from Tire Recyclers on the Yellowstone Highway (in the same building as the North Forty Fun Center) for $10.00. My mom bought some last week.

16" tubes are, If I remember correctly, a bit small for adults.

16. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    Thanks, Doug! An even BETTER deal!! :)

Yeah, I was suspicious when she said a 16" tube would fit a large adult. I guess I'd need to see one blown up to get a better idea for how large they are.

17. nordicgal

Mar 12, 2002
    FYI -

Over lunch I went to The Sportman's Warehouse, and they said a fishing license for the rest of the year costs $23.50. It would be good through Dec. 31.

18. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    I don't think I'm gonna go. I just don't feel up to it.

19. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Adam, I think you should come. It will be fun. It is also a time that maybe we can go look at the stars too. And I know that you wanted to go do that. Even if you don't stay, you should at least come up for the day. Doesn't floating the river and getting completely sunburnt sound like fun to you? It does to me!! Please, think about it, okay?

20. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Okay, I can almost promise this will be my last post on here about the camping trip. I think that everyone should try and make it, even if it is for the day on saturday. If nothing else, get out, breathe some fresh air, get a little sunburnt. IT all does a body good. You know, this all did start because it is Michelle's birthday is Sunday, the 13th. If nothing else, we all need to wish the old lady a happy birthday. It will be a fun, relaxing weekend. Come film a horror movie up in the woods, that could be funny. Heck, this last weekend I went to Palisades with my brother and all his buddies. They filmed themselves riding their snowmachines across the water. It was a riot!!

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you don't come, YOU SUCK!!

Hope I didn't offend anyone. Just how I feel.

21. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    OK, here's the plan (I guess):

We plan on leaving our house shortly after 1:00pm on Friday. If you want to caravan with us, be here before then. If not, here are directions to the campground:

Take Highway 20 North. You'll go through Rigby, Rexburg, Sugar City, St. Anthony, Ashton, and a few others. When you get to Ashton, go straight through town. You'll cross a bridge and head straight up the mountain. Continue on the main highway until you cross the Buffalo river. On the left you'll find Pond's Lodge, and on the right will be a turn-off into the campground.

Call me if you have ?'s: 529-8573

Doug

22. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    I wont be going. Not because it is me that sucks, rather my job. Every weekend for the rest of my life. But I'll spend Saturday night watching Legend of Boggy Creek on DVD to get that great outdoor feel.

23. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    barry-
    that sucks, cuz i think it is goinig to be a fun time. maybe if your job sucks so much, you should find a new one? and having to work weekends for the rest of your life, I am very sorry.

e

24. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    YOU'RE SORRY? Not half as sorry as I am. Other jobs await to be sure, but I am underemployed as it is. If I get any lower ill be working for the Rancor keeper.

25. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Barry,

I'm really sorry you couldn't come, we had a great time! On the bright side, it was suggested by all in attendance that it should be an annual club event. So, we're (my family) is already planning on July 16,17,18 of next year...

Next year, I would like to know early (like in May) who is going so we can reserve campsites that are next to each other.

Thanks to all that came, either for the weekend or just for the day, you all made the trip a blast! The efforts everyone made to come prepared were outstanding!

Thanks again for a great time!

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.