main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Club ideas

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by soneil, Dec 20, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    It's time to get serious about making our club official and make it happen. I've heard different suggestions from people about what we could do as a club. I'll list some of the ideas below and you can all add your own ideas. The ones with a * next to them are ones that I don't think we could easily do until we're an official club with memberships etc.

Organise video/film nights
    Fundraising to subsidise events *
    Get together and make costumes to use for conventions/fanfilms
    Make funds for the club by hiring out the costumes we make *
    Organise fan fairs/conventions *
    Issue club memberships *
    Organise for star wars celebs to visit Perth (I really think we could do this) *
    Make fan films *
    Organise our own big screenings (not just group booking for someone else's screening) *

Other ideas?

2. Pinback

Pinback Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2000
    File this under the fan-film subheading in your list; Bill, a guy from GKR Karate International showed up at our door recently with a flyer advertising classes. This could be useful to our fan-film enthusiasts with ambitions to create truly kick-ass lightsaber/martial arts sequences, through demonstrations we could perhaps arrange at group meetings whenever fan-films are a high-priority topic.

Besides, if we develop a good relationship with the guy, we could end up with a handy stunt coordinator! Or a bouncer to repel Trek fans from future large meets!

3. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Of course we have a few borderline trekkies that are allowed. As long as they prefer starwars!
    I like the idea though. Keep coming with the ideas. Princess Lego's going to post some more detailed info about the official stuff that is needed to get the club going. Might be a good topic to chat about before the film next week.

4. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    Ah, a topic with some substance. Finally!

5. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Well I suppose I better post some substance then, ok here we go. This is my views:

1. Star Trek Fans (any other sci-fi fans) should be allowed so longs they don't talk star trek all the time, it is suppose to be a star wars club, not another place for star trek fans to hangout. And second I don't watch or follow star trek so I have no idea what they would be talking about. Well that last one was really for my benefit!

2. I think the idea of inviting special guests is a great idea. It would attract more people for sure. But then again, we really need to make our club official, official. Correct?

3. When it comes to fan films, I think the more people we have the better. At the moment I've been planned (in my script) to be used serveal times. I would also like to include people from our club (got a great part for Grizzly to play, he he).

4. LD was talking about (insert his idea here, you know what I'm talking about right), which I think is a great idea. We would have to brain storm ideas for it, I can only think of a few. Lets just talk about that one at the screening!

5. Um! I did have 5th topic, I'll get back to you! :)

6. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Here we go, again:

5. Maybe we can offer a membership card that people can hold on to. The longer you have been in the club, the more higher rank you are. That way it encourages people to stay in the club, not just a trial thing for them. We would have to think of ranks though? Shouldn't be that hard!! It would be just like the army, hey Grizz. (Oh the memories)

6. And Damn. Its been said before but here we go again. A club website!!! For a place to post news and the like about us.

7. Conventions! Great idea, did anyone find out when the next scifi one was? I think this would be a great idea to promote ourselves, even if we do pick up a few trekkies!!

7. Pinback

Nov 30, 2000
    If they could be turned, they would be powerful allies...

They will join us or die!

8. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    I take it you are talking about star trek fans. Don't know wheather they would be THAT powerful though. But let's not turn this into a star wars vs star trek affair! :)

9. Princess_Lego

Princess_Lego Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    If anyone would like to contribute some funds, I can get the club official. It's $80 for the name registration and it might cost to put the official ad in the paper. I'm sure you understand I don't want to fork the money out by myself. For those coming on Wednesday, maybe you could make a contribution, any amount is fine, it will come off your membership fees once the club is established. Once I have the money, the club should be official in just over a month.

And definitely we will have membership cards, the rank system sounds good too.

Fan films will be a must for the club, though if we did it in the next few months I'm not sure who I could play. Perhaps, Padme as an expectant mother being hidden from Darth Vader. Now if I only had twins, that would be something!!
    I wonder if Ep 3 would cover that part of the story. It would certainly make a nice change from the usual, 'guys with lightsabers' type fan films, which are so prolific these days.

10. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Pinback is speaking from experience as a turned trekkie.

As for conventions. There is a collectors fair in January. Probably not the sort of thing our club could really get into but some of you might be interested in going. I think Sith_magician has the details on that one.

11. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    hmm rank structures...*reaches for WEG sourcebook*

rebel ranks.. with different colour representing army or navy (fleet)
    Lieutenant,Captain,Major,Commander,Colonel,General
    then theres the Political structure with the cabinet...

12. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    The details for the collector's fair is it's called Nexus and is run by a couple I know who also own a collector's shop in Perth.
    It's on Jan. 13th at the Vic. Park Rec. centre.
    It's really just a collector's flea market with a heavy Sci-Fi slant, but if your into collecting this is good to check out.
    If you want more details feel free to email me at sithmagician@iinet.net.au or come talk to me at the TPM screening on the 27th.

13. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Another club idea:
    There seem to be quite a few young folk coming to the TPM viewing. I know a lot of starwars fans who are teenagers and younger. When everything is official and well organised perhaps we can have special memberships for younger members and organise the occasional event with them in mind.

14. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Just a couple of ideas for the younger fans, what about droid and ewok cartoon viewings? (must attend in costume), or get some of us who are experienced model makers to have a kind of "coaching" day for kids who would like to learn how, or a nintendo/pc star wars gaming day?
    would be just as much fun for us older fans to help out with.

15. Pinback

Nov 30, 2000
    SM, those are great ideas! With some organization of talents and resources, we could even make a couple SW short features for the kiddies (perhaps?), or maybe hone our talents enough to rent out our services in those areas to kid's parties! Who wouldn't want Darth Vader at their 8th birthday party? Instead of a pony, why not a speeder bike-go-round?

16. JediLeia21

JediLeia21 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    count me down for a contribution, i hand it to princess lego at our next meet

they all sound like great ideas ....

and there's nothing wrong with trekkie's as long as they don't qoute warp core theories to me i'm fine ( sorry former trekkie) but i saw the path of the force and switched sides.
    are we wearing costumes to meets , does anyone know where u can get a sw costume ?
    bye

17. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    You probably already guessed, but yeah , I'll put in for the registration.
    And I have nothing against Trekkies, or Trekkers as they prefer to be known, I do watch the series on video,(as do others on this forum, eh *name edited to protect the guilty*?).
    As to keeping out Trekkies,
    The only times probs have arisen here, re: Star Wars vs Star Trek, is that while Star Wars fans are willing to suspend belief in the enjoyment of a good story, Trekkers have a tendency to want to have EVERYTHING on screen explained in maximum detail and 100% scientifically, they then try and bring it across to Star Wars, where it's not appreciated very much by ppl who don't give a damn how long it took the Falcon to reach Bespin and what impact this had on the length of Luke's Jedi training
    The way I look at it, Star Trek is sci-fi, Star Wars is sci-fantasy.
    any other views?
    *steps of soap box*

18. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I'd like to wear a costume. I know my brother and his kids plan on it so if you want to dress up, you won't be alone.
    Lost of costume places (like Apparition) have starwars stuff of varying quality. I've found some looks good (like Apparition's Leia costume) but others didn't impress me too much. You can find good stuff in Good Sammys and Op Shops but that takes time.

19. Loadeddog

Loadeddog Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    *<steps up onto Sith Magician's soap box>*

This is a repost of my very first post on FanForce

OK here we go
    I call myself a sci-fi fan, I like nearly all types of sci-fi from Star Trek and Star Wars to Dr Who and Red Dwarf.
    I will not commit myself to saying one is better than the other because no two shows are comparable.
    The appreciation and enjoyment of sci-fi is strictly personal and dependant on your lifestyle, upbringing and future outlook.
    Often it is just one item in a show that can tun the viewer on or off and more often than not it is due to
    a lack of understanding or a closed or narrow mind (lack of imagination is the killer of fantasy and fiction , we
    all may remember the great nothing in "The Never Ending Story").
    some people turned their nose up at Star Trek because a American ship had a Russian on board
    or because there was a black woman as part of the bridge crew let alone a female captain and chief engineer.
    there are those who didn't like Star Wars because the didn't like the "moral values" of good over evil or they thought lightsabers were a load of **** and could not be taken seriously and this is where my point lies.
    I believe sci-fi was created not to simulate or reflect real life but to give us an escape from life and maybe
    give us some insight into what the possible future holds

*<steps down from soap box>*

20. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    We have a bitches box thread. Maybe you should start a soap box thread!
    We'll leave the idiot box thread to QLD. ;)

21. Pinback

Nov 30, 2000
    Alright, now that it's gotten out of hand...

About that little "join us or die" comment regarding the Trekkers: it was a silly little joke, just a harmless movie reference. Walk away, pretend it never happened. Please disperse citizens, nothing to see here...

Yes, I was a Trekker for many years, but chose to walk away for my own reasons. Perhaps, one day, I may walk away from Unca George's universe as well. That's okay, in the end it doesn't really matter. As John Lennon once said, "I don't believe in Wookies, I just believe in me." And he was the walrus!

I could be the Walrus, it still wouldn't change the fact that I don't own a landspeeder!

22. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Just to clarify something incase most people don't know yet, but Star Trek is sci-fiction and Star Wars is sci-fantasy.

The difference: Sci-fiction likes to explain in great detail how something works or functions. Everything must be exact and thought out so it works or would exist someway, somehow. Sci-fantasy on the otherhand (my favorite) is based on the fact if it looks and acts cool, its cool! It doesn't bother trying to explain how it works and where and how they came from, it gets on with telling story and showing you a adventure!

That's why I prefer Star Wars over Star Trek! There I said it!

23. Loadeddog

Loadeddog Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Dose that mean we can assume Star Wars Fans lack intellect or are just simplistic

Oh dear I think I?m in trouble now

24. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    No, I just think Star Wars fans can let go with their minds a lot easier.
    I remember some zit ridden nerd once emphatically telling me Star Wars sucked because there's no way a space ship could get any where near light speed using thrusters, he couldn't accept the fact that I just couldn't care less.

25. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Thats exactly something that a star trek fan would say! The point is though, who cares? Star Trek fans, thats who! Star Wars also appeals to the younger audience, which is a bonus I guess. To sum it up then:

Star Trek fans may be intelligent super beings, but they lack personality!

Star Wars fans may not be that smart, but we know how to have fun and our imagination is out of this world. Hey, just look at some of the posts on this board, it shows! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.