main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Club Jocasta: AHSOKA

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It's time to start the next book! This time around we are reading the newest Star Wars novel; Ahsoka by E.K Johnston.
    [​IMG]

A brief description of the book (from Amazon):

Fans have long wondered what happened to Ahsoka after she left the Jedi Order near the end of the Clone Wars, and before she re-appeared as the mysterious Rebel operative Fulcrum in Rebels. Finally, her story will begin to be told. Following her experiences with the Jedi and the devastation of Order 66, Ahsoka is unsure she can be part of a larger whole ever again. But her desire to fight the evils of the Empire and protect those who need it will lead her right to Bail Organa, and the Rebel Alliance .
    And a reminder of the rules:

Newcomers are always welcome here! All we ask is that they be interested in bucking the dominant trend of the internet by:

-- Enjoying the PT (or at least refraining from making snarky remarks about it or in any way putting out veiled insults about the tastes of those who do enjoy it here)

-- Being generally polite, friendly, and considerate of others' feelings;):)

For those that need to, go get the book....like, right now.....what are you waiting for, go get it!! Everyone else go ahead and start reading the first few chapters, or if you're like me and already finished, we can go ahead and start discussing the early parts of the book. As always, let @Sepra and/or I know if you have any questions or concerns, or of any ideas for the next book you'd like to read.

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
  3. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
  4. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I started audiobooking it a couple days ago - which I recommend if you can, it's read by Ashley Eckstein!

5. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Hopefully I can get through this without crying.

cubman987 and Sepra like this.
  6. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    I think this is our unofficial motto of Star Wars.

7. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Not got this one and recently moved flat so unlikely to get around to it any time soon, but please tag me in for the next one ta.

cubman987 likes this.
  8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd love to join the Book Club threads, but I just got pretty well into reading the Aftermath series, so I'm not in on this one, but please tag me in as well for the next ones!!! Thanks!

cubman987 likes this.
  9. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Okay since I've already finished the book and started reading it again I'll start us off. Anyone else who has already started reading or finished go ahead as well. Right off the bat I was impressed with how Johnston writes Ahsoka. I think it has to be a tough task taking established characters from TV or movies and trying to capture their character properly, and I don't always think this happens in Star Wars books. In this case, however, I think Johnston pretty much nails it. Right away I felt like I was reading about the thoughts and actions of the character I grew to love during The Clone Wars. I especially think Johnston did a great job of showing how Ahsoka continued to grow after her final appearance on TCW, and is on her way to becoming the Ahsoka we see in Rebels. I think there is a lot to like about Ahsoka but for me anyways, properly writing the character was always going to be essential for my enjoyment of the book and the fact that Johnston exceeded my expectations is a big reason why I liked it so much.

10. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    I have so, so many thoughts about this book. I thought it was really good and hit a lot of emotional notes that I was hoping it would, and a couple I wasn't expecting at all but loved.

Are we allowed to talk about stuff all the way through to the end or am I supposed to keep it restricted to certain chapters for now? I'll play it safe and just say that I was ruined just from the Prologue alone. I still want them to make the damn Siege of Mandalore arc. Direct-to-video that stuff already, Disney! God. Stupid Maul. I disagreed with Ahsoka's internal thoughts that Kenobi wouldn't have liked her "half a Sith" comment, though. I'm pretty sure that delightful sarcastic bastard lives for that kind of crappy combat humor and he would have been proud. Especially as it was part of her kicking Maul's ass.

Anyways I died a little bit at how quickly Johnston jumped into the Obi-Wan/Anakin/Ahsoka pathos. I really love those three as a trio and I was just so sad for Ahsoka, feeling so alone out there -- and still being so young, too! She's been through so much in her life already. When she has her little moments, even early on, where she tries to reach out for Anakin, or any of the Jedi, and finds nothing but blackness and emptiness, I was like WHY BOOK WHY. It made that moment in Rebels later when she has her terrible realization so much worse (and we all know going back and making something that was already sad MORE sad is pretty much Star Wars 101.)

I'll try not to wade too much further than that. I don't entirely recall which things happened at which points in the book and I don't want to jump too far ahead for everyone.

11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I really liked the first half of this but the latter half of it felt like any other TCW episode. Which is either good or bad depending on whether or not you liked TCW. In my case, it was rather disappointing.

Sepra likes this.
  12. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah for now just try to stick with the early parts of the book if you're going to be real specific about the plot, this will help to drive more conversation and avoid being too spoilery for others. Anything that's pretty generalized like characterization or just your overall feelings about the book as a whole are fine though.

Right?! The book really does a great job touching on these things. That part about reaching out for Anakin in particular got to me as well, especially knowing what happens in Rebels.

Sepra likes this.
  13. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I would so love to join you on this one, if Amazon wasn't waiting to ship it with freaking Catalyst! Grrr. :)

14. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    I had assumed the book would have taken placed during the clone wars (shortly or immediately after her last appearance) or during Order 66. Im far more curious about her situation during those events than I am about how she became Fulcrum in later years. I was kinda disappointed.

Also I have to say the outer rim 'western theme' present in much of the new canon content is starting to wear a bit thin for me. It made sense for this story, but that doesnt mean it's not starting to feel a bit too familiar.

Sepra likes this.
  15. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I finished the book and I quite enjoyed it. 'Ahsoka' is probably one of my top five favorite new canon books right now.

cubman987 likes this.
  16. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    I've gotten through the first few chapters. I'm loving it so far. I agree that Ahsoka's character is spot on in this book, which really helps when trying to imagine her in these situations. Also its already SO SAD lol. The prologue and second prologue thing were nice additions to show a little bit to what happened right around and right after ROTS. Specifically how her and Rex made it out. Now I'm interested to see when the Empire comes to Raada and how'll she'll deal with that. Lastly this line talking about that one Imperial was great lol (and probably applies to 90% of people in Star Wars. "It was overly dramatic, but he was fond of the effect"

17. AprilMayJune

Nov 18, 2015
    The bit with her and Rex and what they did to throw people off their trails destroyed me. Can you even imagine if they'd shown this in TCW? I'd still be crying about it.

18. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    So speaking of the Rex and Ahsoka part, there are some interesting things going on here. For one, who the heck is really in the grave? They make a reference to the person in there but it feels like leaving who it is as a mystery is done intentionally. Also, we know from Rebels that Rex did end up working for the Empire for a bit, claiming to have given them information about old bases but keeping some things secret. So this should mean he had to reveal that he wasn't really dead at some point. I really hope with both of these things that that means we are going to get either another book or a Rebels episode that explains who is in the grave and how and why Rex had to come out of hiding.

19. AprilMayJune

Nov 18, 2015
    Oh gosh I forgot about that! Interesting.

Her burying her blades. Oh why, Star Wars.

Also I really liked/hated the fact that both her and Obi-Wan must certainly have been going through that same sort of isolation in those first couple of years. Obviously he has a lot more inside info about what happened, but even still. Damn it, Anakin.:_|

20. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Enjoying the Ahsoka book very much so far. E.K. Johnston's clear and concise style makes for fast paced reading, yet also conveys a lot of subtle emotion, conveying multiple layers of meaning, depending on one's familiarity with TCW and ROTS.

I find EKJ's tone and style refreshing compared to a lot of EU books I've read.

Ahsoka's initial escape from her hermetic hovel and her assumed lack of attachment to possessions and friends and family familiarity are compelling and quite sobering. Ahsoka's feeling that Skywalker and Kenobi had perished in Order 66 is an interesting and plausible idea the author plants in the minds of readers unfamiliar with actual events.

I feel bad for Ahsoka. Yet her masterful skills of stealth and subterfuge in evading the stormtroopers are described quite effectively. Her strength and intelligence help alleviate the sadness of her inevitable journey.

As you can see, I'm still at the beginning of this novel. I'm taking my time. I will try and catch up. Thanks for your time. MTFBWY.

21. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Ugh I'm on Chapter 15. I'm so annoyed at these farmers right now. I get that Ahsoka is an outsider and she's not being so forthcoming, but they could have just told her, look this is what we want to do and made her work with that rather than do a bunch of stuff behind her back. And then to get so mad she doesn't tell you she was a Jedi that you run back into enemy territory? Sorry Raada, you did that one to yourself.

cubman987 likes this.
  22. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

So sorry for this but I read this as her and Rex MADE OUT lol....

Possible ship?

Ashrex?

DarthAnakin96 likes this.
  23. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    And oh! I didn't know Breha was the Queen of Alderaan! Of course she was!

24. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Well, there does seem to be a little bit of a lesbian love interest going on here, which I think is awesome.

AprilMayJune and DarthAnakin96 like this.
  25. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    OH and the author loves tumblr. See, I swear those tumblr girls are taking over this fandom in all the right ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.