main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Club Jocasta Book #1 - Labyrinth of Evil (now discussing Chapters 4-7)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by heels1785 , Apr 18, 2016.

1. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I think I'm waaay passed that. Whoops.

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah first 3 chapters were only 20 pages.

3. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    Going just by the first three chapters, I am not really liking this Anakin at all. He seems too close to his AOTC counterpart rather than ROTS.

heels1785 likes this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I thought the exact opposite haha. I thought he could have been reigned in a bit on the micro series

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  5. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    I haven't read this book in probably close to a decade so I was happy to have incentive to pull it off the shelf! Based off the first 3 chapters, between the micro-series and TCW, I think he leans more towards the latter (I haven't seen the micro-series in its entirety so I can't really make a comparison there :p) IMO, I see a smidge more of Hayden's portrayal right now than the animated take on the character though.

Enjoyed the Obi-Wan/Anakin banter as usual, always good for a chuckle:
    Anakin: "I prefer more straightforward tactics"
    Obi-Wan: "Master of understatement" :rolleyes:

Huttese 101 and cubman987 like this.
  6. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    So what chapter are we reading this week? These chapters are pretty short so we could do more than 3 unless anyone objects....

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    We're going to roll on to chapters 4-7 this week - I'll have some thoughts and questions up tonight.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Apologies, some technical difficulties at home last night.

I'd like to discuss a passage that I consider to be pretty important with regard to Anakin, and put it in the greater context of what we know eventually happens to him.

"Yes, just as Yoda had sensed after Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan had freed him from slavery on Tatooine and brought him to the Jedi Temple, he had a lot of anger in him. But what Yoda failed to realize was that anger could be a kind of fuel. In peaceful times Anakin might have been able to bridle his rage, but now he relied on it to drive him forward, to transform him into the person he needed to be." (pg 32/e-book version)

So, a few questions to start us off here:

1 - Was Anakin's turn much more complex than generally accepted? Was it the experience of war, as opposed to the loss of his mother and threat of losing his wife, that fundamentally changed him? Was it the experience of being enslaved? Was Anakin doomed from the start?

2 - Is Anakin right? We know that his efforts swung many battles in The Clone Wars, and his leadership was vital to Republic efforts - had he worried more about "being a good Jedi," would he have been as effective? Consider what we know about Quinlan Vos, and more dramatic swings back and forth between dark and light (in both continuities), and how they hindered many Jedi initiatives - was his case similar enough to Anakin's to make a generalization about using anger as fuel?

3 - Is Anakin being honest with himself? Could he really "bridle his rage" during "peaceful times?" Can you point to any examples of that?

9. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    I'm glad you brought this passage up because parts of it really rankled me. Sometimes I really take issue with the creative license in the EU and this is one of those times.

Anakin has been a Jedi for about 13 years at this point, and indoctrinated into their theology since he was nine. There seems to me to be no way that he would ever feel like harnessing his rage to fight or use the force is something that would work for him without going to the dark side. Like, he is literally using the dark side here, and not only would he know what that is, he would know that he should avoid it and why.

Throughout the prequels, Anakin struggled with his anger and worked to eliminate it (unsuccessfully). Even in the ROTS novel, using his anger in fighting Dooku was novel for him. Anyway, it took me out of the continuity.

10. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    Thank god this passage was brought up. I had already read past it when I found this thread, so I was waiting and holding my tongue to complain about it-- it really bothered me to no end.

I like what Sepra brought up about Anakin's Jedi training. If Anakin were consciously thinking about how angry he was, he would probably be consciously trying to squash it. But what really bothered me about this passage was that we the readers were being told that Anakin was angry. Like I had to put the book down and stare crankily into the middle distance for a few good minutes. From the perspective of a reader trying to enjoy this piece of literature, and especially so because Anakin is a character I like very much, I would really prefer to be "shown" things about Anakin. I'm a little really tired of Anakin's anger being pushed so hard, because he's much more complex than that. Anakin being angry is something I would really have preferred to have explained to me through actions, and over a longer course of events. In the greater continuity of the story of Anakin's turn to the Dark Side, I feel like a passage like this would have worked better for me much later in the book, had it been built up to for several hundred pages. Yes, we all know Anakin is going to turn to the Dark Side, so it's not like there's much suspense here, but I would have appreciated at least an attempt at it.

To touch on heels' first question-- in my mind, Anakin's turn was very complex, just as Anakin himself is complex, and passages like this one just make it seem to me like it was all too easy for him to turn to the Dark Side. I really think Anakin's turn was a massive pile up of a lot of really crappy life experiences, and the cherry on top was his nightmares about Padme's death. And it takes a long time for him to get to that breaking point. Additionally, to address the 3rd question: to me, this passage didn't seem like Anakin. Like I said, I felt like I was being told about Anakin. So I can't say whether or not Anakin was being honest with himself, because it kind of felt like this: "Look at that guy. He's so angry. Lookie, now he's going to bridle his vast sea of anger that he's hyper-aware of and really make it work for himself! Damn, Anakin, you control that anger, bro". Like??? At this stage, it felt out of place. It felt forced to me.

AniLukeRey, QueenSabe7 and Sepra like this.
  11. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I had coincidentally started reading Labyrinth of Evil around the same time that the idea for the book club was put forward, but I wasn't sure if I would be able to participate due to time constraints and also because I'm a terrible literature student. [face_blush] I just wanted to say that I personally like this set of questions more than the first discussion question (even though they're based on a somewhat problematic paragraph in Labyrinth of Evil), mainly because I didn't watch TCW and while I did watch the Tartakovsky micro-series and thought it wasn't bad, I didn't connect with it anywhere near the level I did for the films and did think of the micro-series as taking some creative licence anyway, so there was pretty much no way for me to answer or appreciate some of the responses to the first question. While I don't object to there being questions related to other media, it's nice to have some questions that can be answered just with the book under discussion and the films themselves, I think, so that those with less exposure to other media can still get a lot out of those questions.

Thanks for hosting the book club, heels! :) Will think about the book club questions and get back if I get over my literature-as-a-subject phobia. [face_blush]

I was rewatching the deleted scenes in Sith yesterday, and it occurred to me that what we see in Sith is the worst of Anakin. Admittedly, deleted scenes are not considered canon, but watching them really gives one a good idea of why Lucas chose to include the scenes he did in the final cut: because if the audience had seen the better side of Anakin as frequently as Obi-Wan did - and I think by Sith Anakin has worked out a lot of his issues to a good extent, the main exception being his attachment to Padmé, due to the need to keep it secret - we would have as hard a time as Obi-Wan in believing that Anakin could turn to the dark side. So I agree that it is a bit annoying to see Anakin using the dark side being treated as the way Anakin is under ordinary circumstances (especially after he is knighted, which I think gave him a great boost of confidence and helped him work out quite a few of his issues) instead of just the worst side of him.

12. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    Some interesting stuff in these chapters... one small thing that stuck out to me was Anakin's response to not being able to apprehend Gunray & co. Using his lightsaber to randomly slash at something in anger just seemed a little odd/out of place for him IMO. That goes into the passage that is referenced for discussion as well as what Sepra says... how Anakin is portrayed at this point just doesn't feel wholly connected to how I see him elsewhere. Sure, he has moments of anger, but he knows they are wrong...

Was Anakin's turn much more complex than generally accepted? Was it the experience of war, as opposed to the loss of his mother and threat of losing his wife, that fundamentally changed him? Was it the experience of being enslaved? Was Anakin doomed from the start?
    For sure, very complex. I definitely think it was a combination of all of these experiences, plus having Palpatine whispering in his ear from the very beginning... playing on his fears and attachments, manipulating him. From the moment Palpatine knew of Anakin, I do think he was set on a doomed path.

Sepra and corinthia like this.
  13. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    This part stood out to me as well; found it a bit off.

1. I think his turn was more complex than saying he just turned to save Padme or any one or two things, Palpatine worked on him for years and he did have a lot of anger and especially fear built up inside him from his experiences. Unfortunately the films couldn't go too far into these things but the movies did make it clear they were there, as did TCW, but his fear of losing Padme was just the final catalyst that put him over the edge.

2. The thing here is that I don't feel like Anakin ever intentionally used anger as a weapon, so I kind of don't like this particular part of the book. I think Anakin wanted to and tried to be a "good" Jedi but his anger just came out sometimes and I think based on his comments in the films that he regretted when they did. Anakin obviously didn't agree with everything he was taught or all of the rules set forth by the council but I think him knowingly and deliberately using his anger as a weapon was a poor choice in the story. I'm honestly not real familiar with the exact details of Vos in the old EU but comparing it to what he went through in Dark Disciple there are similarities as they both use the excuse of turning as being necessary for the greater good, but obviously when Anakin fully turns he takes a far more dramatic turn than Vos did.

3. This is tough to answer since I think there was some poor characterization here but I will say that I don't think Anakin is ever as in control of his emotions as he seems to think he is here. I think murdering the Tusken Raider village is probably the best example of him losing control.

Also I just wanted to add that I found the part about Anakin going to rescue Obi-Wan and finding him fighting off battle droids under the influence was pretty fun, and the part about him creating a new lightsaber from as well. Good stuff.

AniLukeRey, QueenSabe7 and corinthia like this.
  14. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm still just trying to wrap my head around this whole book. I'm having trouble since I already have my mindest set about Anakin's turn thanks to TCW, and with LoE being non-canon now my mind keeps wanting to reject it. Although, it is a really good read.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    New chapters and questions coming this evening.

16. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Ahh no wait! I haven't had a chance to read the past couple of chapters yet!!:_|

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    We'll make it tonight or tomorrow, then. For Ezon. :p

Ezon Pin likes this.
  18. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    What chapters do we need to read to? Nine?

I think I ended up on eleven despite myself.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Up to page 115 myself.
    I love Luceno's style. Ties in so much from the 2002-2005 Clone Wars project and other parts of the PT era EU.
    Really makes it feel like a well realized galaxy and war.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I know I'm double posting but its been since Wednesday.
    Finished the book yesterday morning.
    Loved it. Last time I read it was some time in 07-08 during my Big EU read through at the time.

Really holds up well imo. Even with all of the changes because of TCW.
    Really sets up the stage for ROTS.

Won't go in-depth until we get further in the book.

Darkslayer and QueenSabe7 like this.
  21. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Are we still doing this? No chapters or discussion topic for a while, I'm anxious to keep reading.

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  22. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    I know a couple of us have finished and I'm on chapter 13 or thereabouts. I think in absence of questions we can just talk about it, unless we are worried about book spoilers?

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Sorry guys, I've been tied up this week and I'm trying to kick a stomach bug. I'll get some thoughts up soon. Keep reading, as much as you want - sorry for the delay.

24. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    No worries, hope you are feeling better soon!

25. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    So I've gotten to about 1/3 of the way in. Some thoughts:

Obi-Wan and Yoda have an interesting conversation about the war and that maybe it's tearing apart the Jedi and making them go back on their ideals. Yoda flat out rejects this and argues that it isn't impacting the Jedi, so it's interesting that he comes around in TCW.

I think CIS Droid would be interested in knowing the origins for the battle droid look and feel. I liked how they were modeled on an actual race of aliens.

I'm getting to that point in the novel that I seem to get in all the EU where my eyes glaze over with all the descriptions of starships and it's "transparisteel" this and "durasteel" that. I don't understand why we can't focus on the characters? There was some of this in the ROTS novel, but I feel like it was far less.