main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Club Jocasta - Leia: Princess of Alderaan

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , Jun 18, 2018.

?

Which Book Should We Read Next?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2018.
  1. Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter by Michael Reaves

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. No Prisoners by Karen Traviss

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Cloak of Deception by James Luceno

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. Revan by Drew Karpshyn

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Hello everyone, it's time to start a new book for Club Jocasta! In the last poll Leia: Princess of Alderaan was the top vote getter so that's what we will be reading!
    [​IMG]

Also, everyone please welcome @Guidman who will be helping out with the book club to keep things moving smoothly and keeping the conversation going.

So, anyone who wishes to participate get the book if you need it...if you already have it start reading! If you've already dead it and don't want to again but want to participate, you're welcome to start discussing early parts of the book now!

Also, don't forget to vote in the poll for the next book!

I don't think I need to worry about posting decorum rules at this point, just always remember:
    [​IMG]

Guidman and BadCane like this.
  2. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    First: @Guidman, congratulations for winning the co-host spot! I'm sure you will do a great job.

Second: I'm having a hard time finding this book. It seems Amazon doesn't have it in Ebook format. And the book hasn't been published in Brasil yet.

cubman987 and Guidman like this.
  3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It's showing a Kindle version for me.....maybe it's US only?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  4. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    Can you PM me the link?

5. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    So is there a deadline for us to read the book and discuss it?

6. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Not a set one, no. Usually takes a bit to get through a book and discuss so there is time.

BadCane and Guidman like this.
  7. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Happy to be co-hosting the book club and re-reading Leia: Princess of Alderaan. I'm going to get started on the book soon. There is some good stuff to hopefully talk about that touches on each of the trilogies.

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Great timing, I literally just read that book this weekend.

Guidman and cubman987 like this.
  9. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Started it again. Just have to say that I'm real glad Claudia Gray has been able to write these novels in the new canon. All three have been great so far. I'd love to see her get a chance to write for either a movie or the live action series.

10. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Just a few discussion points for the first few chapters:

-Thoughts on the first chapter? I think this is a very human moment of Leia. The excitement of her Day of Demands but her disappointment in her parents pulling away from her and interaction with her after it. Also nice tie in to Bloodlines with Mellowyn of Birren, who was the successor to Lady Carise.

-Cool to see how again the Empire is stripping planets of everything. Turning Wobani into the lifeless planet that we see in Rogue One.

-I think this takes place 3 or 4 years before ANH but you can see shades of where Leia takes control of a situation ala the Death Star rescue. Her hiring the inhabitants of Wobani as crewmembers of the Tantive IV is in line with everything we've seen from her. Thoughts?

cubman987 likes this.
  11. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
  12. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I already finished the book when it release last year. It's a great book. I like having these stories as a fan because I didn't get to grow up with the OT crew like older fans have. Books like Princess of Alderaan and films like Solo help me dig these characters more than I ever thought possible.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think Grey nails how to write young Leia. Leia wants to help everyone she can possibly help and she will find a way to get it done. There are some really cool moments that come with this book in later chapters that I can’t wait to discuss.

cubman987 likes this.
  14. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Initially when I read this book before TLJ, one of the things I liked the most about it and made me look foward to TLJ was the introduction of Holdo. We meet her in the pathfinding class that Leia organizes. She is very quirky and eccentric, basically the Star Wars version of Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter. Now in TLJ, you really don't see any of these traits. Some things do carryover, her fearlessness and not being afraid of death. I would have liked to of seen some of oddball personality be carried over to the movie.

-Thoughts on how she is portrayed in the book vs. The Last Jedi

Sometimes I think that's where the Story Group drops the ball. They're supposed to be responsible for continuity of the canon but there's times where the movies don't line up with other materials.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    The author is really amazing at writing Leia. She really got her character perfect, and not many people can do that. She's actually a very hard character to write. I really loved seeing Young Leia because we never really saw that before. I think she might have been a background (really background) character in some of the Last of The Jedi books by Jude Watson. I got most of the "Easter eggs" in it, like Krennic, the Millennium Falcon... but one thing I know is there but never found is, apparently there's a reference to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe in the first chapter or something like that. Do any of you guys know what it is?

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s sorta weird how much more hippy like Holdo is in comparison to the last Jedi. You could just toss that up to her being young I guess.

17. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Yeah I'm sure that partly attributable to it but there was probably a creative decision to dial back the oddball tendencies of her too. Granted we see her more in the novel but I like the Leia of Alderaan version better than The Last Jedi version of Holdo. She was a real standout character in the book.

Jedi Knight Fett and teamhansolo like this.
  18. Voss Fulris

Voss Fulris Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2018
    I enjoyed the book and thought the character development of Leia in her younger years really added to my appreciation of her later on. It is nice to read a book that focuses on adding depth to a character rather than just an action filled plot (although I enjoyed the plot too).

Regarding Holdo, I took a while to warm up to her in the book but definitely grew to like her. I agree she was a standout character in the book. Watching TLJ, I think having read the book meant I was better able to appreciate her character. However, if I hadn't read Leia: Princess of Alderaan, I think I wouldn't have gained as much from seeing her in TLJ. I was pleased to see her in TLJ, but also wonder if those who hadn't read the book would have valued her inclusion. I guess the differences between her in the book and TLJ could be to make her character more accessible to those who hadn't read it?

19. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I love stuff like this in Star Wars - even on a wealthy planet with futuristic technology we can only dream of, they still have traditions like this that are mostly meaningless except for it's symbolism and sense of tradition. It's cool because it really gives each planet and culture their own identity and, makes them seem more real and relatable. I appreciated how Gray mentioned how her parents indeed found the whole thing a bit silly, even as they presented it as serious. I'm interested to see more about the relationship between Leia and her parents in this time - as it's established early on she feels like they are drifting apart.

Indeed - the consistency across the new EU books with how the Empire exploits the less powerful planets and their people really helps to show why the Rebellion was formed and just how awful the Empire is to the less fortunate.

It's still early on and I haven't read this book before, but so far Gray (unsurprisingly) nails what I would expect a young(er) Princess Leia to be like. I can already see her being shaped into the character we meet in ANH.

20. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    Guys, it's official:

I can't find the book. It's not available for purchase here in Brasil. I could try to purchase a physical copy and have it sent to my adress, but the last time I ordered a book via mail from the US like this it took 3 months for it to arrive.

I'm sorry, I would like to participate so much! I discussed this issue with @cubman987 via PM already. Even Amazon kindle store shows up as unavailable for me. It's really odd, since 99% of Star Wars books are ready to buy via amazon kindle store.

21. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    That sucks, check the poll, are all of those available to you?

Jedi Knight Fett and BadCane like this.
  22. Voss Fulris

Voss Fulris Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2018
    @BadCane sorry you can't get it on Kindle :(
    I've had good experiences with Wordery in the past who I think do free shipping worldwide. Not sure on the details but if you do decide to get a physical copy they may be a little faster getting it to you.

Jedi Knight Fett and BadCane like this.
  23. BadCane

Oct 28, 2015
    No Prisoners is not available. The other 4 are good to go!

Oh, thank you for the advice! I'll definetely give Wordery a try. When I buy books from the US, it's from Better World Books.

24. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    -Seeing some of the seeds that helped establish the Rebellion. Once Leia finds the base on Crait, she practically lights up like a Christmas tree thinking of ways she can help against the Empire.

-One of the most memorable parts of the book is the appearance of Panaka, now a Moff on Nabbo. He immediately recognizes that Leia is the daughter of Amidala, questioning her about her birth mother. Great chapter in the book here. I'm sure he would have reported this to Palpantine as soon as possible but well he doesn't get the chance.

-Anyone think that it was one of the Two Tubes brothers who Leia sees when she comes to Panaka's chalet. It doesn't explicitly say, only he had a breathing apparatus.

25. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    The whole Naboo part of the book was chilling. So close! My reaction was like Breha's. Didn't really get why Panaka would have been pro-Palpatine / vs. Padme though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.