main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

PT Club Jocasta - Lost Stars

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , Nov 10, 2017.

1. cubman987

cubman987 Your Friendly Neighborhood CT/PT/Saga Moderator star 6 Staff Member Moderator

Nov 7, 2014
    Alright bookclub, it's time for Lost Stars!!

Lost Stars by Claudia Gray

The reign of the Galactic Empire has reached the Outer Rim planet of Jelucan, where aristocratic Thane Kyrell and rural villager Ciena Ree bond over their love of flying. Enrolling at the Imperial Academy is nothing less than a dream come true for both of them. But Thane sours on the dream when he sees firsthand the horrific tactics the Empire uses to maintain its ironclad rule.
    Bitter and disillusioned, he joins the fledgling Rebellion--putting Ciena in an unbearable position between her loyalty to the Empire and her love for the man she's known since childhood.
    Now on opposite sides of the war, will these friends turned foes ever find a way to be together, or will duty tear them--and the galaxy--apart?
    [​IMG]
    And a reminder of the rules:

Newcomers are always welcome here! All we ask is that they be interested in bucking the dominant trend of the internet by:

-- Enjoying the PT (or at least refraining from making snarky remarks about it or in any way putting out veiled insults about the tastes of those who do enjoy it here)

-- Being generally polite, friendly, and considerate of others' feelings

I know some people have this book and/or have read this already so we can start discussing the first few chapters here soon - for anyone that has read this before please feel free to post some discussion topics. Anyone who needs to get the book go ahead and buy, rent, or borrow it and join in!

I'm going to tag as many people as I can remember who have participated before or who have expressed interest, please feel free to tag anyone else you think might want to join and sorry if I forget anyone!!
    Darthmaul208 Force Smuggler QueenSabe7 Darkslayer darkspine10 jakobitis89 Amon_Amarth Talos of Atmora Snokers

BookExogorth likes this.
  2. cubman987

cubman987 Your Friendly Neighborhood CT/PT/Saga Moderator star 6 Staff Member Moderator

Nov 7, 2014
  3. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
  4. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2017
    Dagobahsystem likes this.
  5. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED FROM THE DEPTHS OF OTHER PLACE ON THE FORUM--

--Oh hey, Lost Stars. Oddly enough, I just finished another read through of this not long ago.

Can I just say that these Young Adult Star Wars books are so very well written? A lot of adult authors tell such great stories, but to have young adult authors come in and tell (IMO) even better stories in fewer words just blows my mind. I find it fascinating how authors can tell such a rich story and have such deep characterization while using so little narrative language.

Claudia Grey is a fantastic author. For me she has joined the ranks of greats such as Tim Zahn and James Luceno for how good her books are. What a talent. I've been writing my own space book for the past year and it's given me a whole new appreciation for how language is used to deliver narrative, and Claudia excels at writing simply but effectively in this book. She's a hero for sure.

It's awesome how, at their cores, her two mains mature over time without changing who they are at their core. It's an impressive through line to read who they are at the beginning of the novel as children and see how those main aspects do not change as the story goes on.

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  6. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 11, 2016
    So Lost Stars, hmm? I think it was a 8/10.

I really didn't like the Battle of Hoth. I had the feeling the rebels would win while reading it [face_plain] They destroyed the AT-ATs with no problem or I don't remember it correctly.

cubman987 likes this.
  7. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Okay lets get the first 3-4 chapters read by this weekend and begin discussing those.

8. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 2, 2016
    You shouldn't click the spoiler tag if you haven't finished the book.

I wish I didn't care about the two leads as much as I do, because the ending would be easier to digest.

:(

(Obviously a good thing.)

Although, I wish these characters weren't shoehorned into the original trilogy events so often.

It's been a while since I've read this novel.

I'd read it again, but...

I don't want to.

9. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I've read the first five chapters, and I'm enjoying it so far. You can certainly tell it's a YA book, but it seems well written so far. I'm liking both main characters, although they do seem to act a bit too mature for their age at times.
    There is one thing that is making me wonder and basically why I'm posting, I'll put it in a spoiler because I don't know of it is relevant or not.
    I recently translated the Aurabesh wanted list in the recent Darth Vader comic. One of the names in obscured by a speech bubble was Nash ________er, which meant nothing to me. So imagine my surprise when I found out that one of Thane's room mates is named Nash Windrider. But Lost Stars takes place at this point only a few years BBY and that wanted list with Jacasta Nu on it is from right at the end of the clone wars. I calculated that If it is meant to be Nash Windrider on that inquisitor wanted list, he would have been about 2 years old at that time!??

So I'm just wondering if this makes sense? If this is something I will find out more about later into Lost Stars. I don't want a spoiler, I just want to know if these two things could be linked or not? Yes or no.

10. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Unless I'm really misremembering it would make no sense for his name to be on an Imperial wanted list.

11. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Thanks, that's what I thought. Must be a coincidence I guess.

12. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    So is no one else reading?

13. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Come on guys, you force me to triple post??

Well I read on some more, up to chapter 10. I find it really odd that I'm a third of the way into the book and I still haven't got to the defection written on the back of the book. I really feel like it's a big spoiler and I'd be enjoying the story even more if I did not know what was going to happen that far into the book.

I mean usually the plot info on the back page happens in the prologue or first couple of chapters and then you continue on blind to what will happen. Its very strange thing for the publisher to give away such a big plot point that happens so far into the book.

I have to say the destruction of Alderaan was really well written. Gray really made me feel sad for Nash Windrider too, his reaction to that feeling of shock and horror you first get when you lose someone very close to you, seemed very realistic. Leia's reaction in ANH is laughable in comparison.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  14. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 27, 2016
    Yeah, it's the hook and the main dramatic conflict of the story, but they could've been more vague about it in the description. It doesn't bother me, but for others they could've said something like, "But can their deep bond survive amidst their ever-differing outlooks on the ethics of the Empire they serve? Or will they - like the rest of the galaxy - be torn apart?"

Also, I would chalk up being in chapter 10 without this being introduced yet, to the book being a bit on the longer-than-it-might-need-to-be side. I mean, almost all of the events in the book are pretty necessary, and it all feels pretty economic, but I gotta say, for a YA novel, it's a long'n. ;)

I often feel 97% of the purpose of this book is to serve as an apologetics to the occasional big head-scratching moments that arise for some viewers from watching the OT. Same with their new novelization of A New Hope titled The Princess, The Scoundrel, And The Farm Boy.

As far as Leia's reaction; we see her visceral yet resilient, so as to show she cannot be broken, reaction as she receives the news that Alderaan will be the target, but it cuts to Obi-Wan after the planet explodes. Her relative composure at that moment was all about hope and the conundrum of the worth of sacrifice. Is it worth it to sacrifice the Rebellion to save your planet, or is it worth sacrificing your planet to these maniacs in the hopes that the plans will make it back to the Rebels in time to destroy this Death Star and prevent this from happening to more planets indefinitely?

If you (like others) are referring to her comforting Luke on the Falcon after losing Ben, I do suggest The Princess, The Scoundrel, And The Farm Boy. in it, female author Alexandra Bracken writes a great new dialogue between Leia & Luke during that moment which goes into Leia's thoughts & feelings on the destruction of her planet and why she is handling it the way she is.

I've also read acouple articles written by female authors over the last few years desribing how they appreciate Leia's demeanor during those scenes. I'll try to find them if asked.

15. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Okay I've neglected this a bit, I appologize but a lot of stuff has come up lately. I assume anyone who has been reading is either pretty far into the book or done. I'd love to get final thoughts from everyone. Personally I think this and Bloodlines (also by Gray) are the 2 strongest new canon books I've read.

A discussion point I'm interested in: how, if at all, does your opinion of the Empire change in reading this book. Is a character like Ciena a "villain" or just a good person that is misguided?

16. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2015
    I bought it but haven't started reading yet. I'll be posting some updates with spoiler tags.

17. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 27, 2016
    I think there might be some parallels at play between Ciena and the Jedi. Namely in the way they live by their codes. Ciena had to honor her code, even if she found herself ending up in bad circumstances. She found ways to justify remaining with the Empire despite the cognitive dissonance, rather than adapting and doing the right thing. Or, maybe I'm remembering wrong, I finished it over a month ago.

As far as my opinion of the Empire, makes you wonder why hordes of people didn't defect. Actually a good pre-Disney novel which went into this well was Allegiance by Timothy Zahn, a highly recommended book about the big 3 and 6 stormtroopers who defected. One of my favorite OT era novels.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    cubman987 likes this.
  18. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    One thing I loved about the book is how the Alderaanian Imperial mentally justifies the destruction of his home world. It goes to show how the Empire lasted as long as it did and how it gave birth to the First Order after its fall.

What a great book. Lost Stars is currently in my top three of the new canon books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cubman987 likes this.
  19. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    I finished the book. Its a good read and fills in a lot of details that the films glossed over. And enough twists to make it fun.

9/10 for me

Mr. Forest and cubman987 like this.
  20. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm going to leave this thread open for a while longer so people can still discuss this book but I will be starting up another book thread soon.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Host, PT Interview Thread star 10 VIP - Game Host

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes! Hopefully this time No prisoners will win.

22. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014