main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Club Jocasta Nu: We Love Kenobi, How 'Bout You?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sepra, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Hello Bookclubbers!

We are back with a new book, Kenobi by John Jackson Miller. This book does take place right after the events in Revenge of the Sith. Here is the description from Amazon:

Before we begin, let's lay out some posting guidelines. We are taking a page out of the PT Social Rules here, so:

Newcomers are always welcome here! All we ask is that they be interested in bucking the dominant trend of the internet by:

-- Enjoying the PT (or at least refraining from making snarky remarks about it or in any way putting out veiled insults about the tastes of those who do enjoy it here)

-- Being generally polite, friendly, and considerate of others' feelings
    ;) :)

Now that's out of the way, we will be reading Chapters 1-3 this week, and here are some suggested discussion questions:

1. How does this book differ from other Legends books so far? Does this feel like the typical EU and how so?

2. Obi-Wan is settling in to Tatooine. How do you imagine he's feeling trying to balance being a former hero with his new status as an exile?

Also, as always, up for discussion is: 1. Hair and 2. How Obi-Wan's robe still seems to be very dramatic.

[​IMG]

Feel free to begin discussing as you get to finishing. My partner in crime cubman987 may also have some discussion points.

2. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    *sends all the love to Sepra *

I should be able to jump in tomorrow, I hope.

I hope there's a part where he WANTS to swoosh the robe around all dramatically and then has to stop himself like, "No. No. No more showing off. Low profile. Stick to flying your hair around in the wind, Kenobi." ;)

3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

I'm going to start posting on the subject of the novel soon but let me just say that you two are the most entertaining Kenobi gushers I've ever come across. :)

4. AprilMayJune

Nov 18, 2015
    Hahaha! Thank you for making me laugh out loud for real. I'm glad you find us entertaining. We have a lot of fun here.

Sepra What can I say? We are pretty damned delightful, aren't we Seps? ;)
    [leaves until she can contribute to the actual topic] [sorry for the digression]

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The "My eyes are large and red because I'm a Duros" moment.

Sepra and cubman987 like this.
  6. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Ha, Talos, you should see me with Anakin. I mean, I just study him for science is all. *cough*

We do have a lot of fun. :*

Oh, good point! Also we should probably discuss the fun droid phobia that pervades Star Wars. From ANH's Tatooine bar where everyone is served except droids to no droids served in refugee ships in AOTC to here where drunk old people are suspicious of aliens that they think are droids. I'd hate to see what droidism comes out at Thanksgiving dinner with that guy!

As an aside, do you think Obi-Wan makes any loose wire jokes in this novel? Can a girl dream?

Pensivia likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I was mainly thinking of the Cad Bane does he contradict the EU thread in the Literature forums.

8. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    I love Kenobi. My fav SW character

9. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Damn, I literally thought about buying this when ordering from Amazon earlier (Batman vs Superman and the first Malazan book in case you were all wondering).

Figured I had plenty of books.

Wonder if I can change my order?

10. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Just get it too.

Also, here are two pertinent quotes so far:

It's nice how Obi-Wan always ensures that whatever light source is around makes him look good.

11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'd forgotten how little Obi-Wan there is early on in this book....that is called Kenobi.

Darkslayer and Sepra like this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    1) It's almost totally isolated from the rest of the galaxy, which is VERY different from most Legends works.

2) I think he could care less about the hero aspect. I think he is trying to reconcile his responsibility for Luke with his guilt for Anakin and having a difficult time doing it.

13. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

That's kind of a given though. After all, not many people were in his position in the Dark Times Legends canon.

Dagobahsystem and Sepra like this.
  14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Still it's kinda cool to see a different setting like that

15. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

It is.

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Valairy Scot, I see you coming around. Want to give your thoughts? It's been awhile...

Pensivia likes this.
  17. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    @ Sepra Ordered it, Should arrive in a few days.
    (also picked up Battlefront: Twilight Company)

Sepra likes this.
  18. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Indeed. It's kind of a tease. We seem to only see Obi-Wan from the perspective of other people.

Pensivia and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    That made it hard for me to read TBH - I was like "Where is Kenobi in Kenobi?" :p

Pensivia likes this.
  20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    My thoughts? The book was great at showing Kenobi as others see (and miss seeing) him. But for a book named for him, our Obi-Wan was strangely under-utilized. He had great impact on events, but we don't really see him in those years.

As the titular character, I would have expected a Kenobi-POV book - and still hope for one.

Pensivia, Darkslayer and Sepra like this.
  21. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Okay wrapping up my thoughts on the first few chapters: Again forgot how little Kenobi there is in the first part of this book. As Darkslayer mentioned this book seems to be a bit different from some of the others because of it's isolation from the rest of the SW galaxy, which of course is to be expected given the subject. I also think it has a bit more character point of views than a lot of the others but I could be wrong about that as it's been a while since I've read some of the Legends books. As for Kenobi (what little we've seen of him) it looks as though he will have a hard time resisting the urge to be a hero since it is the role he is used to playing, but he knows keeping Luke safe and a secret is clearly more important at this time. An interesting dilemma for someone like him to be in.

I know some of you are still getting the book and/or reading the first few chapters so please feel free to continue any discussion you might have on those chapters.

In the meantime lets get Chapters 4-6 read for this week and get some discussion on those chapters going in the next few days. We will have some discussion questions here in the next day or so to get the ball rolling.

22. AprilMayJune

Nov 18, 2015
    I should finally have a stretch of time longer than 15 minutes to devote to this this evening. I swear, I am going to catch up eventually.

23. AprilMayJune

Nov 18, 2015
    Guys I'm on like page three and I already need to laugh-cry at so many things.

24. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Discussion questions for chapters 4-6:

1. The first 6 chapters have very little of the title character, and other than Obi-Wan's meditations, are told from the point of view of other characters. Do you like the decision to tell the story this way? Does it contribute to the image of Ben Kenobi as the mystetious old wizard we first meet in A New Hope?

2. How does the characterization of Kenobi so far in this book compare to how the character is portrayed in other media (movies, tv, other books)? Does it match up with how you would have expected Kenobi to be shortly after the end of Revenge of the Sith?

25. AprilMayJune

Nov 18, 2015
    OK, seriously people: how has no one called out the fact that in this story, Obi-Wan and Day-Old Luke go into a bar and Obi-Wan like, IMMEDIATELY gets involved in a bar fight?! These two were in a bar together TWICE EVER in their lives, and BOTH times Obi-Wan had to throw down?

Also, if we combine the unaired-but-planned final TCW arc, plus ROTS, plus this book, that would make events lay out roughly this way:

Obi-Wan's Approximate Last Week-or-So:
    • Fighting in the Clone Wars with Anakin, hard work but whatever we're bros and sometimes I might even smile sometimes
    • Finally gonna go to kill Maul thank the damn FORCE, oops, nope, sorry, gonna go save the Chancellor from a self-kidnapping see you later Ahsoka I'm sure everything will be fine for all of us byeee!
    • I'm Proud of You Anakin, BRB Gonna Go Kill Grievous Don't Lose Your Damn Mind While I'm Gone
    • OK Grievous is dead, time to go fight with my guys from the clone army and clean this place up so I can go home
    • WTF why are my own guys trying to kill me, time to sneak away and go back home and figure out what's going on
    • Hoooolllly crap everyone's dead here
    • OMFG Anakin killed them
    • OMFG Palpatine was the damn Sith Lord
    • OMFG I have to go kill Anakin
    • OMFG Padme's pregnant with Anakin's kid
    • YOU WERE MY BROTHER WTF IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW
    • OMFG Padme's dying
    • OMFG she just had TWINS
    • Welp, off to the desert with a newborn
    • Better stop for directions at this bar
    • Oh hey look a bar fight's erupted: here, Total Stranger, take the Chosen One's kid for a sec while I badass it up in here for a minute
    • K thanks bye gonna go drop this baby off on some unsuspecting farmers* and then peace out for eons of loneliness
    * am I the only person who wonders how THAT conversation went? Did Owen and Beru ever meet Obi-Wan before that? Did he literally roll up and chuck Luke at them like "Hey, your stepbrother who you met that one time is dead, also he was secretly married and he knocked up his wife and she's dead too now, so could you like, watch this guy for the next 18 years or so? No worries I'll be right down the street creepily spying on you all periodically, too. BTW, Ultimate Evil kind of wants me AND the kid dead, so, y'know. Maybe install a security camera or two and stock up on pepper spray."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.