main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Club Jocasta: You'd be wise to read DARTH PLAGUEIS with us

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Alright fellow bookclubbers, it's just about time to start our next book: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno.
    Here is a brief description of the book from Amazon:
    And a reminder of the rules:

Newcomers are always welcome here! All we ask is that they be interested in bucking the dominant trend of the internet by:

-- Enjoying the PT (or at least refraining from making snarky remarks about it or in any way putting out veiled insults about the tastes of those who do enjoy it here)

-- Being generally polite, friendly, and considerate of others' feelings;):)

Some of us still need to pick up the book, for those of us who don't, go ahead and start reading the first few chapters. Sepra and/or I will get some questions posted soon to get the discussion going.

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
  3. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    More tags: Emperor Ferus QueenSabe7 Amon_Amarth OKay I think I tagged everyone who has participated before or expressed interest in joining us. If I missed anyone I'm sorry, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the site right now.

4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Sepra and cubman987 like this.
  5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Darth Plagueis was the first Star Wars book I read. It still remains my favourite.

6. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    \o/ Looking forward to this! Luceno is one of my favourite SW authors. I really enjoyed his Labyrinth of Evil and Dark Lord, so I bet he'll do justice to PT era Sith.

Dagobahsystem, Sepra and cubman987 like this.
  7. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    Probably won't read this one, only because I'm still wading through Kenobi and now I'm at school:p But I'll still read through the thread and see how everyone likes it:D

Bail B. Baobab and Sepra like this.
  8. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I remember absolutely loving this one first time around, certainly going to be re-reading with great interest.

Dagobahsystem, Sepra and cubman987 like this.
  9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Oh yes.

Sepra likes this.
  10. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Drop Kenobi and pick up Plagueis. It's THAT good.

Sepra and DarthAnakin96 like this.
  11. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

But seriously, Plagueis is the business, even if you don't keep pace with the thread, make sure you read it at some stage. It can make you view the entire prequel trilogy differently, it's that impactful.

12. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    Hmm. Well school has me fairly busy but maybe during a longer break I can read it:p I've always wanted to anyway

Sepra likes this.
  13. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    I highly recommend the audiobook. Daniel Davis does a really amazing job. IMO, it's the best Star Wars audiobook performance/production.

14. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I remember this. I agree

Big_Benn_Klingon likes this.
  15. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    If I may, I will make a few points about the first chapter proper (instead of the prologue) as it sets the tone pretty well for the whole novel thematically and stylistically. I am not a veteran of the EU (old or new) BUT I find this is actually one of the finest examples of how the Bane style Sith actually operated. We get an example of the classic Master/Apprentice partnership with Tenebrous' genuine admiration for Plagueis' coup as well as the first inklings of Plagueis' own master plans. It also lays the seeds of the idea that the Force is not entirely passive and can be steered or even controlled outright... which tends to be rather important later on.

16. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I'll add a non-spoilery comment on Chapter 1 (as well as the beginning of the book). Species diversity is great, and it is really interesting to finally see more of non-human Sith. Aside from Legacy and the Sith species in Tales of the Jedi (far in the future and in the past from the Saga, respectively, for those not familiar with the EU), I don't think we actually got to see many alien Dark Siders, certainly not in the films. PT was excellent for expanding the galaxy and showing us alien diversity among the Jedi. I was kind of surprised that the same is true for the Sith. Later on, Palpatine's Empire disliked that, and pushed a chauvinistic pro-human agenda. I get the feeling some of the Emperor's later feelings towards non-humans could stem from his master and his master's master. Hopefully, the book might touch on that more.

I like the start, it is fast-paced and absorbing and Plagueis' musings on the nature of the Force are quite intriguing - some of those are the questions that have been bugging me for years. ;)

Also, jakobitis89, your signature > everything.

17. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Maul was alien.

Darkslayer and Valency Jane like this.
  18. Big_Benn_Klingon

Nov 14, 2013

It also reveals that Plagueis intends to abandon the Bane model. It's worth noting that the book was released just a few years after the last Bane book and in many ways was a sort of distant sequel. Altho I dont think that a lack of familiarity with the Bane series hinders the reader. Luceno is careful to give context to his many Bane/rule of two references.

The chapter also of course reveals Plag's deep interest in the specificities of midiclorian activity at the time of death.

Valency Jane and jakobitis89 like this.
  19. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Good point, though only an apprentice. The "big players" like Bane & co are mostly human.

Valency Jane likes this.
  20. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Wasn't Vader "only an apprentice"?

Valency Jane likes this.
  21. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    His "career" was certainly more impactful that Maul's. :p

Valency Jane likes this.
  22. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    In the literal sense, yes he was. But for the first two movies he was far more proactive and directly dangerous than Palpatine whose main role was to appear in a hologram and give commands, so Vader is sort of a de facto Big Bad figure in his own right.

Re: The Bane model and Tenebrous/Plagueis' intended abandonment thereof, it was hinted or even outright stated at one point that it was only even observed as a technicality anyway. Most Sith Lords had several powerful Dark Side wielding minions in the wings just didn't give them the 'Darth' title. [Possible Spoiler Character] for example thought he could earn the title by killing Plagueis, the current holder.

Amon_Amarth I wish I could take any credit for the signature but sadly it was lifted straight from Darths & Droids.

23. Big_Benn_Klingon

Nov 14, 2013
    I think the book explores this topic in some really interesting ways. Without getting into the details of it too early in this discussion, I suspect much of Plag's attitude towards humans has as much (or more) to do with his perceptive as an aristocratic Muun than it does as a Sith. In any case, cynical pragmatism is Plag's guiding principal.

24. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Yeah, Muun's as a species seem to be pretty disdainful for... just about everyone else, really.

25. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    The first section of the book hooked me instantly. I loved seeing Plagueis as an apprentice (helps that Tenebrous was an interesting "mad scientist" type charchter) so I could contrast it with him as a master later in the novel.

Also I may be mistaken but I don't think Tenebrous planned to break the rule of two. We see in the book that he is VERY reverential of Darth Bane. I DO like the Plagueis planned to break it though - he realized something big was coming and changes to the Sith needed to happen. Also it differentiated him as a character - I got the sense that he really almost liked Sidious and wanted to rule with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.