main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Club Kobe? The L.A. Lakers fan club

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Please folks, lets try to keep this civil and respectfull...;)

Lakers as a "middle of the road" team? I don't think so.

No, they are not in the elite quite yet...

But I think they are atleast top 10 in the NBA.

The fact is, they are 14-6, and they havn't just been playing sucky teams. They have been playing quality teams, as well as some bad ones.

2. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I think we're done with 1 and 2 so I'll just get into 3 and 4. :p

3. I was simply stating that your 7 game series with the Suns was a poor argument. If you give me something substantial, I'll agree with you.

4. I'm not saying every Kobe fan is pro-rapist... the Lakers nickname just happens to be "Rapers"...

3. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    I'll admit gotten carried away unnecessarily. [face_shame_on_you] Apologies to all. But in regard to the Lakers good record, not to spoil the good mood, but they have played quite a few games at home.

4. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'd like to point out that I don't think Laker fans are pro-rape, but I do think the Kobe Gushers tend to overlook some things. Try reading his police interview sometime.

5. DurronFan

Jul 25, 2005
    3. Perhaps...but you're argument that it is IMPOSSIBLE for the Lakers to beat the Spurs in 7 is just as poor an argument. You're in essence saying that the Lakers don't even have 0.00000000001% chance of winning. THAT is what I am arguing against here.

4. Really? Wow I never knew that! o_O Well, now I do. Kinda unfair that the whole team gets that nickname for something that Kobe himself did outside of basketball, don't ya think?

And as far as being a Kobe-fan, it's strictly based on him as a player. I never ever said that I respect him as a person, not that anybody implied, but people could try and distinct these two from eachother. Hate him for what he is outside of the game by all means but don't hate him for how he plays. Unless you think he's a selfish ballplayer or something like, that's ok.

6. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    whole team? I that Kobe was the whole team...

7. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005

Ahhh, no way.

Kobe used to be the whole team, but if we've proven any thing this year, it's that we can win without him.

8. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    so let's take Kobe out of the lineup for a whole season. What do you think the Lakers w/l would be at the end of the year?

9. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    They'd have A.I. and miss the playoffs by 10 games?

10. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005

They have been playing some great ball with and without Kobe. I think the fact that they have held up so well without Kobe shows their talent this year. Best in the West, no. Top five, I think yes. Dallas and Utah are definitely on top. San Antonio I think have lost some of their spark from years past but are still sitting near the top. Then Phoenix would have to be the fourth team in the West. Really those are who definitely in front on the Lakers. You do have Houston and Denver that are mentionable but I think the Lakers are looking better. Yao and T-Mac always have the potential of injury and Melo just isn't enough. True there is more to Denver but for how long?

11. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    it appears odom may miss some time: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2695675

Big problem for the Lakers, I think. I am interested to see how they cover for his absence.

12. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Ouch. That's going to hurt us...

But, if Brown, Bynum, or Walton can step up, I don't think it will be of too much consequence.

Beat the Rockets last night.

Mavs tonight.

13. DurronFan

Jul 25, 2005
    If the Lakers can beat the Mavs without Odom, I'll be impressed. Mavs' depth is quite superior compared to the Lakers. Although Kobe and company are riding on good momentum so who knows...

How many people here see some similarities in the Kobe-Odom partnership to the ol' Jordan-Pippen one? Before Armenian_Jedi says anything, I'm well aware that the latter one is much better but I still see some parallels.

14. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    I think it has that potentail, but for it to get there, a lot of things need to go right.

1. They both need to stay healthy
    2. Kobe needs to learn how to trust Odom

There are some other things that could be added as well, but if those two things happen, watch out!

15. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Kobe-Odom is a decent combo... but it took them awhile to gel together. This Odom injury is unfortunate for them since he's having his best year as a Laker.(Actually his best year in the NBA regardless of team)

But it should be noted that Pippen and Odom play different positions so the parallels aren't that similar. Pippen was a better passer then Odom where as Odom can rebound better.

16. DurronFan

Jul 25, 2005
    Well they both play forward positions if I'm not mistaken, Odom PF and Pippen SF, but onyl because, as you said, Odom is the better rebounder and Pippen the better passer. What I was thinking was that Odom and Pippen are both similar in the sense that they've both accepted their sidekick roles by letting Kobe or MJ be the go-to-guy. Of course in both cases, Kobe and MJ had both already been playing in their respective teams long before Odom or Pippen came into the picture. But they both accepted the sidekick roles and helped their teams. Of course Pippen's contribution and talents overshadow those of Odom's but in a few years Odom could slowly crawl near that level. Kobe is lucky in the sense that he didn't have to look long for a good sidekick unlike AI, who never got one that pleased him. I don't know if anybody could be AI's sidekick, maybe KG will become that.

17. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Do you guys find it weird that the Lakers had no problem winning without Kobe this year but can't win without Odom?

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    If the Lakers can overcome the injury, and play well in the next month-8 weeks, especially with all the road games coming up, then the Lakers will prove that they're a better team from last season.

19. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    I'm not sure about other games, but keep in mind the Lakers were playing the second game of a back-to-back.

20. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Since Odom joined the team, the Lakers have a .139 winning percentage when Odom doesn't play, I saw it on sportscenter last night. So, yeah, he does seem to have quite the effect on their offense.

21. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I think it's quite obvious, to anyone that's paying attention, that the Lakers are a much improved team from last season.

22. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    That's what I was going to say...they're obviously better than last year.

If they can keep up their quality with both Kobe and Odom out (I don't think they will), than they are a very good, and deep team.

Without Kobe, they are missing one of the best players in the NBA, and without Odom, they are missing their second best player, as well as a big reason for their success. I'll be happy if they go .500 with both of them gone.

23. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    I obviously missed something. Kobe's out right now too?

24. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    No, but he has missed a few games throughout the season, thus far.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Nice comeback by the Lakers tonight, I watched the 2nd half, the first OT, and the first half of the second OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.