main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Club Kobe? The L.A. Lakers fan club

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I turned off the game and went to sleep after the first half. Stupid me.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I turned off the game and went to sleep after the first half. Stupid me.

Oops.

Granted that I didn't turn it on until after that, but I only turned it off when the Lakers were dominating the second OT so completely that it was obvious the Rockets weren't doing anything else. It was late then. And Yao looked like he hadn't slept in 48+ hours and had been running up and down the court for the last 3 hours solid by that point, so he wasn't going to do anything else.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    As pleasing as Friday night's game was, here was the stat I heard (on FSN West) that pleased me the most: the Lakers never got to 9 games above .500 last season, they've done it twice already this season. :D

4. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    Nice shoot out between Arenas and Kobe last night. They both also had nice all around game- Kobe with 45 points on 15/24 from the field, 10 assists and 8 rebounds; Arenas shot 17/32 from the field (21/27 from the line!), with 8 rebounds and 8 assists.

I'm looking forward to their rematch on february third, the Wizards are home so I think I'm going to try to get to it.

5. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Kobe's a big fat hypocrite for his comments about Arenas, after the game.

6. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    But he's a damn good basketball player, and as far as the Lakers are concerned, that's all I care about.

7. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    and as far as the lakers are concerned that's all you care about? [face_plain]

8. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Concerning Kobe.

All I care about Kobe Bryant is that he gives us points and helps us succeed, as he has done this season.

9. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    one and a half months in with a schedule that's had them play 17 home games and only 7 road games...

10. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    To be fair, he's missed like 7 of those games too.

11. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Am I saying that the Lakers are the best team in the NBA?

No.

I am saying that they are competitive.

Probably top ten or fifteen in the NBA.

And a big part of that is Kobe. If you take him off the team, they won't be nearly as good. He is an amazing player. Period. If I my team has an amazing player, who helps us win, I don't care what he does off the court. Sure, I'd like for hiim to be a nice, respectable, LT kind of guy, but if he's not, I'm not going to demand a trade. He's one of the best in the NBA on the court, and he helps the Lakers be a very competative team. Period.

12. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    They didn't seem to have an awful hard time winning, when he was missing games. But, yeah, I know it would be crippling to the Lakers if he ever left permanently.

13. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    competitive... but you're pretty much saying they're not contenders.

So what's the point of being competitive if you don't have the pieces to win it all?

My older brother's a life long Laker fan and he wants them to miss the playoffs this year so the Lakers will have a shot at Oden in the lottery... at least he's got the right idea.

14. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    I think if things go right for them, the Lakers have the peices to win a Championship this year. Is it likely? No.

Getting Oden would be good as well.

I like the trio of Odom/Kobe/Oden, and then adding Bynum and Turiaf in there as well. That'd certainly be better than what we have now.

But what team doesn't get better by adding a lottery pick?

15. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    Well the Pistons added Darko...the Magic had Fran Vasquez...Trailblazers took Bowie over that Jordan guy one time...

16. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    lol

17. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Big win over the T-Wolves tonight.

What do you guys think the ramifications of this AI trade are for the Lakers?

18. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    the lakers weren't involved in the AI trade...

Denver was already better then them... this trade just makes denver the fourth best team in the west behind san antonio, dallas and phoenix... after that are the Jazz and the Rockets... and the Lakers are still the 7th best team.

EDIT: or 9th worst depending on how you want to look at it...

19. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    I put the Lakers talent above the Rockets just because you know T-Mac and Yoa cann't ever put it all together all season. This definitely moves Denver up the ranks in the West though. As for the Lakers missing piece. I seriously think it is at point guard. Brown is blossoming at big man and Bynum has great potential. They need to ditch Smush and get a good solid point to teach Farmar the ropes till he is experienced enough to take over. Just imagine if the Lakers still had Fisher right now. They could be contending with SA, DAL, PHX, and now DEN. I could just see a starting five of Fish, Kobe, Walton, Odom, and Brown. You add Bynum, Farmar, Evans, and Vladamir (sorry if I misspelled it) off the bench. I think thats a lot better than Parker.

20. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Rockets have the best defense in the NBA... offense is streaky but you can always count on defense.

21. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    I wouldn't count on denver improving with the AI deal. I'd save such conclusions until we've seen how they play and if AI and Melo mesh well together. But now they have the potential to be as good as the Jazz or maybe even better.

Lakers just beat Wolves without Odom and with Kobe resting most of the 4th quarter.

22. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Yeah, let's not go crazy on Denver, just yet. They still have 14 games to play without Melo, and A.I. is going to have to learn the Nugget's system. That's not going to come automatically.

23. NM_Mandalorian

NM_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    Learning a new system doesn't seem to be slowing AI down much.

24. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Nuggets in the Iverson era: 10-16

Ew.

Anyways, didn't realize there was a thread for LA here. We've been playing horribly of late, and don't seem to be slowing down in that regard. Double OT loss to the Wolves tonight in a game where Smush, Mo, and Cook just made bonehead play after bonehead play. Just non-stop. Mo let's Foye walk underneath the hoop for an easy pass and layin from KG... Cookie throws up a contested airball from three... Smush forgets about the shotclock entirely... Mo throws the ball away on an imbounds pass after already failing to get it in and calling a TO the first time. It's like a freaking cycle. Never ends. Complete waste of 40/13/8 from Kobe, in one of his better performances of the season.

Any hopes of the second round were officially shot as soon as Lamar went down for th second time. If he comes back with some time to shake off the rust, we MAY have a chance. If he's not back, I don't even want to bother watching (although I will).

Walton will help a lot at least. It's amazing how much presence he really has on the court. Kinda like his dad around a mic. Can't wait til Luke recovers.

25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Wednesday's night loss was beyond disgusting, as the guys on the court seemed to be just mailing it in. 2 months ago I would have a given the Lakers a great chance in beating the Spurs in the 1st round, but now, not so much. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.