main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Clues from concept art?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TK327, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    We've already seen that concept art from the OT has been used (X-wing, Jabba's gate). This thread is for reasonable speculation about what other bits of concept art we might expect to be used for the ST.

I'll start with this. Looks similar to what has been reported regarding new trooper look. Specifically, a thin eye slit and flared helmet. Did anyone actually say the troopers' face would be completely covered?

http://www.nexusroute.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ep415trivia09.jpg

2. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    http://www.sidebarnation.com/.a/6a00e54f0984ee88340120a70bd918970b-popup

These were done by Dermot Power. The figure on the right has yellow eyes. There have been reports that Nyong'o was trying out yellow contacts.

Is this look distinct enough from Ventress, to warrant creating a new character based on it?

I could see this being an inspiration for a new Jedi despite the fact that it was concept art for a villain.

whostheBossk and Immortiss like this.
  3. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    The old conept arts are definitely used. But we don't know how many and to what extent. Not to mention that Darth Maul was a sith witch for a long long time. Plans might change with time.

KevinM1 and thejeditraitor like this.
  4. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Although the Sith Witch was ultimately abandoned, that's not to say it wasn't a good idea. And the designs by McCaig and Powers for the Sith Witch were stellar, IMO.

I know this is just fanboy gushing, but how could they not use this concept or something inspired by it? I'm sure McCaig, who worked on Ep 7, would have been happy to help finalize her look!

5. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

I also love that sith witch concept art. But, the story prooves that even if concept arts are followed initially, the final product can change.

6. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    I agree. But the story doesn't prove that they can't/won't revisit unused concepts for future films.

7. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I'm seeing that pic for the first time & I'm in love with it. It looks like a role Lupita was born to play- and it screams BAD ASS. Here's hoping...

dyous87, Immortiss and TK327 like this.
  8. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Of course. They are revisiting some OT concept arts just now.

dyous87 likes this.
  9. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Whilst I like the look, it is essentially just Ventress with a different face. Given that fact, I wouldn't want to see this in Episode VII.

dyous87 and SithLordDarthRichie like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Do we really need more threads dedicated to fancasting Lupita? Leave the poor woman alone.

11. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Yes. Let's fancast Lupita to the max! Turn it to 11.

Agree that that the drawings are just Ventress with a different face. Despite the fact that she is canon, I still think that a character inspired by these designs could be in the cards.

The possibility of sightings of Lupita with yellow contacts should at least give us pause to consider this.

D'an likes this.
  12. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Maybe she's just playing an alien, nothing more. Yellow contacts doesn't mean she's a sith.

[​IMG]

Granek likes this.
  13. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    For sure. These designs could could easily be be repurposed for a new Jedi, for example.

The face of my avatar (CZ3) was originally concept art for Vader.

whostheBossk and Dak Oolron like this.
  14. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Pre-cyborg version of Grievous was interesting. A hint of sand people in this concept. Wouldn't mind seeing a cameo of one of his kind as they appear without the Robocop treatment.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Yr419Wm4j...AAj-g/m3Xw-1Z2Xps/s1600/Grievous_original.jpg

Also, quite like this concept for the Clone fighter. Has an OT vibe.

http://www.modelermagic.com/wordpre...10/2008-11-16_KG_MMM_FU_CLONE_FIGHTER_003.jpg

http://www.offtoseetheelephant.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Clone_Fighter_Fu.jpg

15. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
  16. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Ha! I am by no means an expert. I just really enjoy looking at concept art. In many cases I like the stuff that wasn't used more than the stuff that was.

A couple of those are concept art for Battlestsr Galactica. One has stormtrooper-y looking cylons. Maybe this is what's really behind the rumor of the stormtrooper helmets.

The last pic is of the Sith home world, I believe. In an earlier treatment of RotJ, this is where Vader brings Luke to meet Sidious.

Thanx for posting those! I'd like to see some architecture in the new films based on those drawings.

Dak Oolron and D'an like this.
  17. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

I'd like to know more about this one in particular:

[​IMG]

The source said it was the Yavin temple interior. This to me suggests an extensive back story that Episode IV didn't have time to address.

As far as the "Storm Trooper" rumors are concerned, I'm sure it's likely set snoopers are indeed seeing armored soldiers, but to automatically assume they're Imperial or fighting for the bad guys is a bit hasty IMO.

FRAGWAGON and Iron_lord like this.
  18. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Would love to see that concept brought to life as well. I think some of these could be used to depict places other than originally intended. This looks different enough from Yavin that it could be the basis for something entirely new.

Agree that there has been a lot of hasty conclusion-jumping.

19. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Aaaand right on schedule a sith witch rumor pops up. Where is that freaky concept art?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
  21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How does it suggest a backstory? I didn't notice anything in the picture.

22. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    This picture is in a book I have called The Illustrated Star Wars Universe published in 1995. The caption that goes with it says, "In the ruins of the Temple of the Blueleaf Cluster, a strange crystalline centrepiece seems to throb with dark energy from some event in the world's past, as if trapped spirits reside in the crystal".

EU wise, I vaguely recall that this was retconned into Exar Kun's story arc, and has something to do with the Massassi I think, but I'm not sure.

23. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Crystal throbbing with dark power makes me think of the force bomb on Ruusan...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CairnsTony likes this.
  24. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    that pic of gg is pre-crash when he was known as Qymaen jai Sheelal

Grievous - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

Dak Oolron likes this.
  25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

yes it was from one of the initial script versions. they used it later here..

Temple of the Blueleaf Cluster - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

great thread btw.

Dak Oolron and Iron_lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.