main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

C'mon Guys, lighten up!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Protege-of-Thrawn, Oct 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    just a quick memo to Lit forumers.
    This Forum is easily one of the best, but it is quickly descending into a downward spiral more imposing then the moonstrike of Sernpidal.
    Everyone seems to be joining the frenzy of dissing Del Rey and LFL, for killing Jimmy, for creating the NJO, and for not creating the GFFA's future as THEY see fit.
    This self-induldgence is understandable as a reaction to shock, but it is now becoming a problem.
    You are all faced with two options. Embrace the NJO and embrace all the authors and plot decisions within - they happened, will continue to happen - or stop reading it. but please for the sake of us not yet drowning in cynisism, stop dissing the NJO.

P.S. special Note for Genghis - dude, we get the whole "Zahn is the anti-christ" bizz, please invent a small word that will let us know your piping up about it again, it would save a lot of time.

Thank you all.

2. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    I agree! It isn't our universe, it's Lucas'.

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Yes, the whole Zahn is the AntiChrist schpeel is completely illogical. After all, I'm the AntiChrist.

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Then, I guess I should congratulate you, Gandolf on your choice of head General of the armies of Hell. Zahn has served you well.

I guess Gandolf's most powerful lie was convincing the world you were someone else. ;)

5. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    He can't be the anti-christ--because I am. :)

The thread was "C'mon Guys, lighten up!" then proceeded to post for a response.

People can say anything they want in regard to the NJO--like it or hate it "we" do not hold the rights for it, but "we" do pay for it and that gives us a right to an opinion on it's merits, it's value and if it was worth the money or not.

The minute they give the books away for free-then that becomes a whole new issue. :)

SbS can not get here quick enough......

6. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Mutley...
    "The minute they give the books away for free-then that becomes a whole new issue."

Then do people who borrow the book either from a friend or library still have the right to "not lighten up?" The manner in which one obtains a book has at best only a marginal effect on one's feeling's of the book as well as the right to express those feelings.

An expensive book will only reinforce negative opinions and a cheap book will only reinforce positive opinions. An opinion that "the only saving grace was at least I didn't spend more on the crappy book" or "I would have paid $1M dollars for the book if I had to" is not all that substantial an arguement in the arena of criticism, and are usually only made in jest.

7. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Zhan is not the anti-christ, he just wrote 5 mediocre Star Wars novels. I have a niece who might be the anti-christine...

8. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Actually, Jaina02, it isn't Lucas' universe, at least not the eu. He only gives permission to use the characters to the authors. In Lucas' mind there are no Solo Kids, there is no Kyp, there is no Borsk Fey'lya, no Mara Jade Skywalker. Han and Leia never got married. There are only the original characters and they're still there as they were at the end of ROTJ. I just wanted to clarify that this is not a Lucasfilm thing, he doesn't decide what happens.

Jae Angel

9. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Narundi...
    "In Lucas' mind..."

It must have been amazing for you to be in Lucas' mind. [face_plain]

Seriously, if you have some door into his mind from your cubicle at work, you should charge admission. There's a lot of people around here who would like to "be George Lucas." You can make a lot of money. Apparently, from all of the people claiming to know what's in Lucas' mind, you already have a lot of people who are using it. [face_plain]

10. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Genghis, I'm just stating a fact. Lucas only sells the rights to the characters, the ORIGINAL CHARACTERS. He has no say in what happens in the eu. Maybe I should watch my wording next time.

Jae Angel

11. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    What's happening now is called the "between book slump." It will end in a couple weeks when most have read SbS.

12. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

I am willing to bet that if Lucas found something in any of the books that he had a completely alergic reaction to, he could have stopped.

13. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Lucas approves a one-page outline of what will happen in the books. For example, Zahn wanted C'Baoth to be an insane clone of Obi-Wan--the idea was nixed. Anderson initially was going to have Exar Kun be a Dark Jedi, but Lucas suggested he be a Sith and provided Anderson with information. Lucas signed-off on the death of Chewie.

14. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    That's true Mastadge. The forum has a bad case of cabin fever. Anticipation for SbS is driving people crazy, and I think a lot of us are on edge. I won't say any names, but I think some of us are about to snap. Tuesday can't come fast enough.

15. ElaineCunningham

ElaineCunningham Author of New Jedi Order: Dark Journey VIP

Dec 12, 2000
    NarundJedi says:

"Genghis, I'm just stating a fact. Lucas only sells the rights to the characters, the ORIGINAL CHARACTERS. He has no say in what happens in the eu. Maybe I should watch my wording next time."

Antually, NarundJedi is NOT stating a fact, but repeating a misconception. LucasFilmLicensing does, in fact, keep a very close eye on the EU. Novels and short stories are reviewed and approved at each step of the way, from concept to outline to first draft to revisions.

16. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Cool. Thanks for clearing that up Ms. Cunningham.

17. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Ooooooh, so we have RA Salvatore AND Elaine Cunningham on the boards!! ROCK ON!!!! I was only going by what I heard from other people on the boards. It seemed to make sense to me. I guess if LFL keeps a close eye on the books then there IS a chance we could see an EU movie. That also ROCKS!!!!! :D

Jae Angel

PS- Could Chris Cassidy and Tish Pahl show up on the Simple Tricks message board and explain whether Kyp was using Fen when he begged her to kill him? I guess the authors know best, which is why I will immediately retract my previous statement and apologize for that entire "know-it-all" tone. Only the authors know what is going on. Which reminds me. . .Ms. Cunningham, is there any way I could pay you 1,000 bucks to reveal some of the details of Dark Journey? Just kidding!! ;)

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Ooooooh, so we have RA Salvatore AND Elaine Cunningham on the boards

Troy Denning's been posting here, too. Peter Mayhew shows up once in a while, as do A.C. Crispin, Mike Stackpole, and a few others. Kathy Tyers was here A LOT when BP came out.

19. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Kathy Tyers was here A LOT when BP came out.
    She returned for a bit to The Jacen Solo Fan Club ;)

20. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    ElaineCunningham...
    "Antually, NarundJedi is NOT stating a fact..."

Thanks, Elaine! You beat me to a response. :)

Narundi...
    "I was only going by what I heard from other people on the boards."

You fell victim to one of the largest problems of fandom, Narundi. Not thinking for yourself based on your own experiences. Why you would say something like "I'm just stating a fact" when you have absolutely no clue about it is beyond me. This is done, unfortunately, a whole lot. People make all sorts of crazy statements about the NJO, Marvel's Star Wars comic books, etc. as fact when they're really not. In fact, about the entire EU and Star Wars and "what Lucas thinks." The first step to lightening things up is not perpetuating incorrect information.

21. Gandalf_Postmangler

Gandalf_Postmangler Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2001

I shall slay those who post incorrect information and add their heads to the pillar of skulls!

22. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    You really are enjoying Planescape: Torment, Gandolf. :D

23. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Ugh, don't get me started on Planescrape.

24. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    George Lucas = Lucasfilm. Maybe George Lucas has taken "Attack of the Clones" to heart and Cloned himself. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

George Lucas hires people (Lucasfilm) to watch over his expanding universe of characters. In the past his involvement was limited to approving short outlines for the books or major events such as Chewie's death.

Is this still the case for the NJO? Does George Lucas still approve every script outline? Does George Lucas have to approve the death of a major character created solely in the EU? I mean, if a writer wanted to kill Corran Horn or one of the Solo children, would they need George's approval, or do they just need his approval if they want to kill a movie character like Chewbacca?

25. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    :p

That, and having fun in the Viking threads in community. Almost done Torment now; I'm in the Fortress of Regrets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.