main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends ***Co Authored w/ Tangled Sphere***Best Served Cold***Exar Kun, OCs***Updated 11/14***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Zane-Marit, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zane-Marit

Zane-Marit Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Thanks for checking out our fic. This is the sequel to another story we wrote together, Eclipse of Light. I want to thank Tangled for thinking me worthy and partnering up again. We hope that you enjoy, and as always, comments and questions are welcome.

Title: Best Served Cold
    Author: Zane-Marit, tangled_sphere
    Timeframe: The Sith War Era
    Characters: OC's, Exar Kun
    Summary: The sequel to Eclipse of Light. Exar plots revenge after his defeat on Yavin.

Best Served Cold

Alone he brooded in his new master chamber. Hate, anger,?and resentment bubbled to the surface of his being. It ebbed and flowed around him like an unbridled and uncontrollable storm. It had been ten standard months since Exar Kun, Sith Lord, had been forced to flee from the fourth moon of Yavin. The Massassi slave revolt had been a big blow to his war efforts against the Jedi. He had lost much that day and not one moment passed that he hadn?t inventoried those items.

The most precious of those items, the amulet of Aarsatz, was the weapon that would quicken him, augment his powers with the souls of the beings trapped within. It gave him a strength and speed no Jedi could ever match. One by one he would have ensnared the Jedi into a living death and in the cruelest twists of fate?allow them to feed his dark desires.

The loss of his slave labor slowed his war efforts almost to a standstill. Almost. Yavin IV was to be a remote staging and re-supply area for his armies. But, Exar had felt the call of the Dark Side on that moon. It had the potential to be so much more. Once he conquered the galaxy and destroyed the Jedi, he swore to return to its fertile call.

Exar Kun had also lost an apprentice that day. A powerful servant to do his bidding in areas of the galaxy he was not in. Exar had once thought this apprentice to be special, perhaps one day to take his place. The fact that he did not mourn the loss of this apprentice spoke volumes to Exars true feelings. This apprentice did not die. No, much worse. He betrayed Kun to the very Jedi he was to destroy. Rage flared within Exar whenever he thought of Darth Malice and his betrayal, but soon the storm within would calm. There were many in the galaxy that could fill his place. Exar Kun was a powerful motivator when he wanted to be and it had taken only a few weeks to recruit Malice?s replacement.

Yes, there were many in the galaxy that Kun could manipulate, bend to his will and ultimately make in any image he wanted.

He sensed the approaching being long before the heavy sound of footsteps was heard.

?Everything is in place here master. The relocation is complete.?
    ?Good.? Exar bellowed, his voice echoing strong in the nearly empty chamber. ?You may commence with your primary objective now. Do not fail me Lord Perfidious.?
    ?I won?t?master.?

Easily manipulated indeed.

The black robed figure bowed then left the chamber. Exar Kun returned to his dark thoughts as the heavy footsteps faded away to nothing. He thought of the Jedi, ending their insufferable lives, especially two most important Jedi.

Theron Dem and Caden Zerr

Soon his trap would be set and that placed a twisted evil grin on his face. Once the trap was sprung he would at long last have revenge?

Caden stood tall in the center of the council chamber. He sensed the pride and joy emanating from his master, his hand resting gently on his shoulder helping Caden to contain his excitement. Caden could sense that to the others in the council, this was just business as usual, almost. There was another sense of pride in the room and out of the corner of his eye Caden noticed his good friend Theron Dem standing discreetly in the back.

?Padawan Caden Zerr, you have proven worthy in the eyes of your master, the order, and this council. Confer upon you the title of Jedi knight this council does. Step forward.?

Caden advanced one pace and knelt low on bended knee. Master Gemsaa circled his padawan learner as he spoke.

?For a long time I have watched you grow in the ways of the Force. Today is a p

2. Zane-Marit

Jul 11, 2003
    The Temple night had never been so beautiful; the stars seemed to shine just for him. Caden basked in the radiance of his knighting and joining the ranks of countless Jedi before him. Pride welled up inside him, pride of attaining a goal set years before. The satisfaction of knowing that that goal had been achieved?that new ones were set on his horizon brought a smile to his lips. But soon Cadens pride was tempered by the echo of his masters lessons from the past. His thoughts drifted to a memory that took place in almost the identical spot he stood.

?Be mindful of your thoughts Caden.? Master Gemsaas throaty voice warned. ?To those enlightened in the ways of the Force your emotions will be easy to read.?
    ?But master, should I not be happy when I accomplish my tasks? There are many padawans my age that can not levitate objects of such mass.?
    ?True?very true Cay. There is nothing wrong in taking pride in a job well done. Having pride in what you do and doing a task for the accolades is two very distinct and separate things. Beware of pride young one, it can mask ego. Jedi are passive, responsive to the will of the Force. Ego can block that will, Cay. It can lead you to arrogant or stubborn behavior, which can lead to the Dark Side??

Master Gemsaa looked into Caden deeply with his gray eyes. He cupped his padawans hands and smiled. ?I will always be proud of you Caden so you need never to fear otherwise.?

The memory faded as Caden glanced down at his hands, he knew he felt the same as always..yet different. Ever since he had been abducted and managed to escape from Exar's clutches, not only alive but with victory, his peers held him at a respectful distance. At first after the trauma, the avoidance of people he had once called friends hurt him deeply, slowly he began to understand they were just afraid, afraid of the power that he had escaped from. Instead of dwelling on the past, he had focused on his friend Theron, who was living proof that light resided in the deepest of darkness. And he did everything he could to convince the council of his own vision, and of Theron's sincerity of conversion.

Caden stretched out on the lightly dewed grass, gazing up at the stars. This place in the Temple gardens had always been a haven for himself and his Master. How many times had they sat together under these very stars? How many times in silence had they connected as Master and padawan? Closing his eyes, savoring the memories, he was alarmed when his palm came down upon something sharp. He cursed involuntarily as blood welled up from his fingers. His senses suddenly heightened by potential danger, Caden turned backward, senses ready for battle, yet knowing deep inside there was nothing there but his own imagination. But he was speechless as his eyes focused on the shining object. There, lying in the green brush was a shattered piece of an amulet, shining with the reflection of countless stars, and stained red from his blood. A sudden rush of dreadful familiarity filled him up.

Cautiously, he moved over and picked up the crystalline shard, as he wiped the blood from its beautiful exterior. Almost lovingly, he held it in his hand, feeling as though his thoughts were held captivated by its reflections. Only a few standard months ago, he had taken a fraction of the amulet of Aarsartz from Exar Kun's grasp, splintered it and rendered it harmless. He had taken the piece to the Council to dispose of, as all Sith relics had their own potential dangers. His breath suddenly caught as he saw a single set of words etched violently into the crystalline surface. 'Congratulations' mocked up at him. Caden dropped the crystal as heat burned his palm.

And as the fractured piece of amulet fell upon the ground, memories began to come unbidden into his mind. Exar holding him, threatening his life and those he loved, beckoning him into the darkness. Suddenly the night was no longer beautiful, but cold and lifeless. Taking in a rasping breath, the nightmare ended as soon as it began. He had no idea how long he had stood still, his k

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Great start! =D= Can't wait for more! :D

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Yay!! He's been Knighted! [face_love]

Great start indeed! And Exar is looking for revenge...[face_worried] Uh oh this won't go good at all!

5. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Zane Thanks for starting it! Just wanted to let you know, its great writing with you [:D]

VL Its been fun planning this one :) Hope you enjoy!

Kyn Hi Paddy Sis! [face_love] Exar=Not Good At All! Thank you so much for stopping by!

Let the games begin!

6. Zane-Marit

Jul 11, 2003
    Exar smiled a feral grin as he held the amulet of Aarsatz, or what was left of it, before him. It glowed faintly as if dying.

?At last it begins.? The Sith spoke. ?Little Caden Zerr has received my message.?

Exars apprentice stood silently behind his throne, eying the amulet curiously.

?Time for the next phase.? Exar commanded.

He lazily waved away his apprentice as a low humorless laugh echoed throughout the chamber.

Caden could still feel the throbbing in his hand from the shard in his pocket. He had wrapped up his hand in a piece of cloth he had torn from his inner cloak. Why he wanted to keep this a secret, he did not know. Perhaps he did not want to mar his day of knighthood, perhaps he just didn't want to remember the nightmare of being face to face with Exar Kun.

It was late, and Theron would no doubt be in meditation. But he knocked gently on the door, despite his misgivings. At the very day of his Knighting, he was reaching out for help. In his mind he wondered if he ever would stand on his own.

Even though this had been one of the greatest days of his life, the day he had waited so long for, he still felt incomplete. Caden was not sure what made it difficult to meditate lately. Was it the suffering that came so close to him when he closed his eyes? He didn't want to think about it. His hand throbbed and brought him back to the present as he found himself rapping once again on Theron's door.

Theron opened the door, smiling in genuine welcome as he always did when he saw his old friend. His shocking blue eyes and cropped brown hair, looked dazed, as if he had been in deep meditation. Caden knew instinctively that he had interrupted him.

But Theron's gaze sharpened immediately. "What's wrong, Cay?" Theron ran his hand through his hair, as he motioned him inside. The question hung in the air for a moment, as it was met by an uneasy silence.

Caden shook his head as he accepted Theron's invitation, and moved awkwardly inside. He still felt guilty about the intrusion, but he just needed someone to take his mind off the memories that were struggling for supremacy in his thoughts. Theron led him into the sitting room and Caden regarded his long time friend. The contrast between the two of them had always been remarkable. Caden was always the stringy dark haired boy in contrast to his friend's handsome and yes, head-turning features. But Caden had also grown into his skin within the last few years, and was no longer that wiry boy that had hidden in the mountain crags from Exar's army. Dark black hair and dark eyes had become focused and commanding. In fact, he had noticed recently that when they walked together down the streets of Coruscant, many eyes of the opposite sex, seemed to land on him. Not that he noticed the opposite sex, or even wanted to go down that road, but he just took note, and learned.

Theron turned his back to fix Caden a drink and brought his glass up in a toast. "To Knight Zerr, may the Force embrace you in its light." His friend's eyes sparkled as Caden took the other cup and returned the toast. 'Knight Zerr.' Oh, that had a nice ring to it. Caden smiled, then realized he had forgotten to hide his wounded hand.

Nothing escaped Theron. His eyes narrowed at the makeshift bandage. "What's going on Cay?" He put his glass down and began to examine the blood, still fresh and dripping on the brown cloth. His eyes finally rested on Caden's eyes.

Caden could not speak for a moment. He wanted to bask forever in the moment of his Knighthood. The fact that this memory came to him this night, awoke an inner regret. The greatest day of his life, marred by a distant memory. "It's Kun. He's back." The words were bitter on his tongue. Caden reached into his pocket and took out the shard that he had leaned against.

Theron took it in his hands, looking at the etchings, a pained expression crossing his face. "You have to go to the Council with this, Cay. This can only mean..." Theron let the light hit the many facets of the glassy surface as he handed it b

7. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Thanks for updating! [face_batting]

I think we need to find a Padawan for Zane [face_mischief]

8. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Poor Caden :( that's so sad that he won't stay with Theron :(

Hopefully he'll change his mind...but I got a feeling he won't. Theron is right. They need each other, friends do help each other out in the greatest time of need.

Great update! :D

9. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

good sequel

10. Zane-Marit

Jul 11, 2003
    Eyes unmoving, she knelt before the Dark Lord, silently meditating, her thoughts clear in the complete darkness that suffused the air for the first time in weeks, perhaps months. She could feel Exar Kun moving, coming out of their mutual stillness.

Expectation filled her, and some haunting excitement at what was to follow. She had finally found out why he wanted to keep her close by his side these many days. The reason he explained both thrilled and terrified her that she had been chosen over his many other followers. Indeed, it had only been a year since she had been Knighted by the Jedi, and scarcely less than that when she proclaimed her unquestioning loyalty to the Dark One sitting before her.

She felt through closed eyes that Exar was now regarding her and the sensation was petrifying in its significance. Those eyes that were devoid of emotion, impenetrable, and what flowed from that gaze: the promise of power and the abilities within her, to never be a victim again. Something Lord Kun had proven the Jedi could never provide.

And the state Exar Kun's followers had found her in when she had failed her first mission as a Jedi. The coalition whose safety she had been entrusted with had been brutally ambushed. And the slavers that attacked knew just what to do with a Jedi. Months with a Force-suppression collar had seemed to stretch into endless years. She shuddered to think what would have happened to her if Exar Kun's followers hadn't found her pathetic small body curled up in a corner, shivering. The feelings of abandonment still scarred her deeply. Surely, she thought for the first few months, that the Jedi would come for her, rescue her. But He came instead. For the briefest of times she wondered why the Jedi had forsaken her?

The anger flowed through her at the memory. Never to be a victim again, they had told her as they wrapped her in a blanket and removed that damned collar that had sucked the life out of her. The Force had come back like a bright blinding light after an endless storm. But she had chosen to stay with them. They understood her and her unquenchable desire for revenge.

But it had only been recently that Exar Kun had taken any personal interest in her. At first she was suspicious of his intentions but he had wanted nothing more than to complete her desire to embrace the Dark Side and its powers more completely. Yes, he had promised to take her abilities to new heights if she would fulfill his wishes and let him complete her training.

Her knees started to ache against the stone floor when she heard the expected words coming from above. "Rise, my servant."

She rose from the floor and looked into that impenetrable scarred face that encompassed the Dark Lord, Exar Kun. He smiled at her, a completely unnerving experience were it not for her extensive training she had endured. It was when she tossed her old name away that she felt the power once again. She was no longer that young girl who had been victimized, she was now Darth Perfidious. She had thrown the name of her birth, and hoped in actuality never to hear that weak, pathetic name again.

"You are ready?" Exar asked her, "you are clear?"

She bowed her head, "Yes, my Master."

Exar reached down and caressed her face affectionately, "Accomplish this and I will teach you more power," he smiled at her once again, "power beyond your imagination."

The quiet of her thoughts were suddenly torn apart as she realized the magnitude of the task set before her.

And two names burned deeply into her memory: Caden Zerr and the traitor, Theron.

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    AACK! I missed an update. Great work you two! :D

12. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Just wanted to say how much I appreciate you guys reading [:D]

This has been an interesting excercise, because I love the character Zane and I created Caden, and I think there's a lot of potential for him. Zane has come up with a GREAT idea for Theron, which I am enjoying working on [face_devil]

My Paddy Sis!

Congrats on your awards! @};- @};- @};- Dooku [face_love]
    Thanks for reading [:D]

sdhfs

Welcome Back! A reader from Eclipse [face_love] Thank you so much for stopping in! [face_love]

VL

You are very, very appreciated! Thanks for stopping by, my dear! :D

13. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Uh oh! Sending her after those two? [face_worried] Oh no :( This will indeed be a test for her then.

Thanks t_s!! It is all for him ya know! ;)

14. Zane-Marit

Jul 11, 2003
    Thank you to all the readers. Hope you are enjoying...

?You say you found this in the upper east garden?!?? Master Vosh inquired as the Force gently placed the shard in his waiting palm.

?I wouldn?t use the term found master?? Caden said, fighting the urge to look away. Anywhere, ceiling, floor, it did not matter, anywhere but into the intense gaze of the council. ?Someone somehow placed it in an exact spot where I would find it.?

Master Vosh carefully inspected the chipped piece and found the inscription. ?Congratulations? he muttered. He nodded and passed the shard to his right. Master Toulis, an Iridonian, accepted the shard and also had begun to inspect it. Master Vosh sat in contemplative silence, hands steepled together under his chin.

?What does the Force say to you Knight Zerr? What do you feel??

Cadens mind had wandered ever since the crystalline piece had pierced his flesh. Questions flew in and out of his mind at a rapid rate. Meditation was useless. He had hoped that Theron would have some useful advice, but offered none. Inevitably, his mind always returned to one thing. Exar Kun.

?I must be honest master, my mind has been too erratic to meditate on this but I do feel this is a message from?Exar Kun. He is planning something or he is trying to torment me?probably both.? Caden admitted embarrassingly.
    ?Jump to conclusions you should not young Zerr. A Jedi should always be calm?at peace, open to the will of the Force.?
    ?Patience is not the way of the young.? Master Toulis offered. ?No matter how well trained.?
    ?Perhaps so, but the boy is correct. I too feel the strings of the Dark Side pulling on this affair?and Exar Kun is the puppet master.?

Again the council was silent as they contemplated strategy.

Caden found it difficult to breathe with the pressure of standing before the council alone. It had only happened once before, shortly before Master Gemsaa had claimed him as a padawan learner. That instance was the direct result of having struck an older padawan out of anger. That padawan was Theron Dem. The judging glares of the council had caused his skin to prickle then just as it was now. Master Voshs? question pulled Caden from his remembrance.

?While you have him in your thoughts, let me ask?has HE seen this??

Caden scolded himself for allowing the council to see into his mind. He knew immediately to whom Master Vosh referred?Theron.

?Yes master, he has.?
    ?And did he handle it?? The master coerced.
    ?Yes, he held it for a moment.? Caden answered dutifully.
    ?Dangerous this object can be in his hands. Reminders of his dark days he does not need.? Master Toulis chimed.

The council shook their heads in unified agreement. Master Vosh fixed Caden with a deep glare.

?We will need more information about Exar Kun and his plans before we act. For now patience will be our stance. In the mean time the council has an important task for you. We know of your friendship with Theron and the lengths you went through to bring him back to us. However, in light of these new circumstances temptation to rejoin the Dark Side will be hard for him to resist. The council requests that you follow Theron wherever he may go. Be his shadow?and report his activities to us.?

Caden stood in shock. ?You want me to spy?on my best friend?? he exasperated.
    ?Hopefully nothing will come of this. After all it may be a mere coincidence that he was present when you destroyed the amulet. That he was here at the temple when you found this piece of it. That he was linked to Exar Kun. If he has turned back to the Dark Side?or worse, never returned to the light, then we must know and know as soon as possible.?

Bile filled Cadens mouth with a foul taste as the thought of spying on his best friend rolled inside his mind. He did understand the council?s logic, but it was difficult to wrap his mind around Theron turning traitor?again. He knew it would do no good to argue with the council, especially on his first assignment as a knight. He choked down the bile that had built up.

Ca

15. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Uh oh...the Council might want his old Master to spy on him while he's spying on Theron! [face_worried] Will they ask it of him? Man if so...that's a lot of spying going on! [face_laugh] Sorry couldn't resist that one! ;)

The Council thinks Theron capable...it is possible, but the way they talked of him in front of Caden :( how sad is that?

16. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Hello, Paddy Sis [face_whistling] You'll just have to keep reading [face_batting]

I think you will find the answers very intriguing [face_skull]

I know, poor Caden :_| He is in for a VERY rough ride!

17. Zane-Marit

Jul 11, 2003
    The next installment...

Gemsaa entered the chamber, taking the customary place in the center of the seated council members. He bowed low in respect as Master Vosh addressed him.

?This just arrived, scramble coded, a few moments ago.? The wizened master said as the chamber darkened.

The life-sized whitish blue hologram of a young woman flickered to life between Gemsaa and Vosh. Master Gemsaa did not recognize the woman, but he did notice the discoloration under her eyes and swollen cheeks. Whoever she was, she had either recently been in combat or, most likely, tortured. Her demeanor was one of panic, she appeared nervous and tense. He pushed those thoughts from his mind and focused on the transmission.

?This is Jedi Knight Kehla Stahn. I have failed my mission?They?re dead?all of them.? The holo spoke in a mournfully ashamed tone.

?I was held captive, for how long now I do not know. I managed to free myself and?? the image flickered as the woman seemed to search for the right words. ?neutralize my captors. I appear to be on some remote space station or orbital outpost, but I do not know the system?? again the image flickered as the Jedi spoke, ashamed.

?I?m the only one here, but I do not know if others will come?please hurry?come for me.?

The image began to crack and fade as the Jedi continued to speak until it faded to nothing. The shades of the council chamber windows rose and daylight filtered back in. Master Gemsaa stood still soaking up all that he had heard.

?We have been able to back track the transmission to the outskirts of Cerea. We would like for you to bring her back to us.? Master Vosh said.
    ?Yes, many questions the council has for her.? Master Toulis added.

Master Gemsaa continued to stand in silent contemplation, eyes closed as his mind focused on the transmission. After a moment his eyes opened.

?And I have a question of the council.? Gemsaa stated.

The council members looked to one another and nodded approval to Master Vosh.

?Ask.? He replied flatly.

Gemsaa knew the reply was not made in anger or rudeness. Master Vosh always spoke in a no nonsense fashion, even in his early days and Master Gemsaa was used to it.

?Knight Stahn spoke of a failed mission, what mission did she fail??

Master Toulis answered. ?Her mandate was to protect a Corellian prince and his delegation from the Kuat system back to Corellia. Since there were threats made against the royal family, we sent out a decoy transport and had the prince travel incognito?The decoy transport was attacked, but the princes real transport never made it to Corellia. We are very curious; to say the least, to learn of his fate as is his family.?

Gemsaa gently rubbed his bearded chin as he took this information into account.

?I sensed a great amount of fear in her.? Gemsaa offered casually.
    ?That would be understandable?? Master Vosh said. ?It was her first assignment as a Jedi Knight.?

Gemsaa nodded in understanding.

?And what of the search and rescue efforts??

A stern look crossed Master Voshs usually unreadable face as Master Toulis answered.

?Of course we searched along their last known trajectory? Toulis blustered. ?We were dealing with Corellian royalty and handled the manner as such!?

Master Vosh regained his composure and placed a calming grip on his fellow council member as he continued to answer the question.

?The search yielded no results Master Gemsaa. We also launched our own investigation into the?security of this mission. Perhaps this was not an assignment fit for a knight so young. Never the less a transport has been arranged for you. We ask that you depart as soon as possible.?
    ?Consider me departed.? Gemsaa bowed.

+++++

A cool evening breeze washed over the Jedi temple gardens, ruffling the leaves and gently making the tree branches sway as two figures moved silently together in contemplation. The silence felt thick, and the tension was palpable between former Master and apprentice.

Finally Caden spoke, an edge to his voice that made his Master vi

18. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Well at least they're willing to send someone after her...but I wonder if it was wise to send the older Master out alone? Perhaps Caden is right? [face_worried]

Poor Caden :( it isn't right to spy on a friend...but the Council does will it.

Great update!! :D

19. Zane-Marit

Jul 11, 2003
    Thanks for keeping up. Hope you all are enjoying...

Jedi Knight Kehla Stahn was kneeling in the center of the galley onboard an orbital station. She had sent a distress transmission just over three standard days ago and was sure that the message should have reached the Jedi council. She replayed her role over and over again in her mind. Seven dead bodies of mixed species were strategically placed throughout the station. Blackened blaster marks were dotted along certain corridors and hallways. Having not bathed in the last several days left her with a not so pleasant scent and the bruises of red and purple still clashed with her sandy brown hair, but were showing signs of healing.

Over the last few days she had allowed herself to wonder why it was her master felt it necessary to mark her himself. He had claimed that it was all a part of her training, that he could not risk that the damage was genuine. The two ribs that he cracked still made it difficult to breathe. She laughed to herself as she remembered his words that only through pain and suffering could she truly understand, that one day it would all become clear. But in the end she truly felt he did it to amuse himself. Still, as long as she carried out her part, the Jedi would be none the wiser?until it was too late. Her master would be pleased.

She sensed a strong presence in the Force and her eyes snapped open. The Jedi did receive the distress signal?good she thought. Now fully aware of her surroundings she recognized that the moment had come. She rose from the deck and made her way to the command center.

+++++

Master Gemsaa stood comfortably behind the pilots chair as he gazed out of the cockpit, his palms resting gently on the seats high back to help support himself. He leaned forward as the ship drifted towards their destination. The seemingly lifeless station had a shrivel?shroom design with a wide rounded top that thinned down into a narrow column to where the docking collar was. The station itself was not very large and most likely held a crew the size of, by Gemsaas estimation, no more than ten persons.

The master reached out with his senses as invisible tendrils of the Force washed over the station like invisible waves. He sighed heavily when the Force replied, only one presence aboard. Gemsaa suddenly felt cold, and it had nothing to do with the deepness of space.

?I?m going to head down to the hatch now.? Gemsaa whispered to the pilot, who nodded in reply.

Gemsaa reached the hatch and grabbed hold of a half meter long support bar as the ship shuddered from its connection to the docking collar. He kept his gaze steady on the solid red lighted panel while the docking collar pressurized. The panel light switched from red to green, indicating pressurization within the collar. The hatch hissed as it opened and he made his way into the station.

Gemsaa found waiting for him a petite and slightly battered woman on the other side of the stations main entry hatch. He recognized her immediately from the holo transmission as Kehla Stahn, but she appeared more ragged than he had anticipated. Nothing that rest and perhaps a long bath would rectify.

?Thank the Force that you came, that the transmission reached the Jedi.? Kehla stammered happily.

Gemsaa sensed that she was fighting the urge to rush up and hug him, but so far she showed a great deal of restraint. He also sensed a feeling of shame emanating from her as well.

?I am Klitus Gemsaa.? He bowed at his introduction. ?The council has asked that I bring you back. They will be most pleased to know that you are well.?
    ?I am about as well as can be expected, considering the circumstances. I am Kehla Stahn,? She bowed back. ?and I am most pleased to meet you.?

Gemsaa took in the knights gleeful disposition, but still shame seemed to envelope her. He moved around her as he scanned the outpost. Kehla raised her hand to keep the master from continuing his tour, but thought better of it. She knew there was nothing she could do to stop him.

He could sense death around him.

20. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Can't wait to see where this part goes! :D Poor guy...not knowing...but then again most wouldn't probably think anything of it except to see to her welfare.

21. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Gemsaa doesn't know what he's getting himself into [face_devil]

Thank you so much for reading Kyn [:D]

22. Zane-Marit

Jul 11, 2003
    Sorry for the Looooong delay in posting.

The glowing streets of Coruscant became if anything, brighter in the darkness of night. Establishments cloaked in above-board trades, eagerly lured in the consumers from endless worlds to unknown pleasures. Beings with nefarious purposes betrayed in their eyes, seemed attracted to the flashing lights as much as a Kelter Moth to a flame.

Caden stood wrapped in his plain civilian clothing, shivering in the cold breeze that ripped between the downtown skyscrapers. It was only a few moments ago, that he had received the comm buzz in his ear and awoken from a deep, though disturbing sleep. Council member and Jedi Master, Salvin had given him a lead and asked him to check on their current 'person-in-question.' The very phrase boiled Caden's blood, and got him dressed and out into the night within moments

And 'target' was exactly what Caden felt like as he moved through the ever growing masses who seemed caught up in the glitter and flashing lights. Too busy to notice a lone figure, groveling among the gutters. And he was sure that was what the well-dressed night goers thought of him as he moved along unwillingly towards his destination.

The Twilight Inn, despite the gentle name, was known for it's vicious fights and even more dangerous substances that were handed under the table in abundance. Highly addictive. substances, Caden thought as a Vareen creature leered at him through rotting teeth and a long, off kilter snout. No doubt, he mistook Caden for another dead soul living from fix to fix.

With effort, Caden smiled back.

"You wantsa sometheeng? The creature asked seductively. Well, seductively as a Vareen could, Caden thought still smiling.

"Yes," Caden replied simply, moving fifty credits before the creature's eyes. Instantaneously, with the show of wealth, he felt his shoulders being pushed insistently into the Inn. Dark light greeted his eyes, as well as the odor of many drinks and suffocating smoke. Shadows of faces came from the small holo-lamps, as laughter came in staccato bursts. And it was false laughter, that did not come from the heart, but from the substances that loomed bitter in the air.

The creature scraped his hand, and gleefully took the credits that lay within. Caden felt his shoulders being pushed once again into another room, further and darker from the main lobby. His eyes took forever to adjust as he found himself being sized up by a shadow.

"Meezno teba," the shadow said to them.

"Eeza Jeedi?" the Vareen said backing away from Caden.

Laughter could be heard from the shadows, dark and low. "So?" the creature replied, "manny, manny Jedi come to me."

"Yesss.." the Vareen replied and Caden felt a sudden cold chill down his spine.

The shadowed creature beckoned with a bony hand. "Come heere, Jeedi..."

Caden found himself going forward. A hooded figure stepped out of the shadows, and a cold hand was placed on his shoulders. The breath whispered into his ear. "Eef you tell anyone you will die, Jeedi or not."

Caden felt an ice cold knife blade slip against the back of his neck, almost tenderly. "Understood, Jeedi?" Licking its lips, the creature's eyes remained hidden beneath his hood. "Pecha!" the creature commanded, and Caden could feel two oblong capsules being pushed into his hand.

"Takess, it," the creature hissed.

Caden remembered so long ago, Theron had given him an elixir to help him forget. So tempting when he was a youngling. Not anymore, not with how much he knew of the universe. And how much depended upon him.

He placed the pills in his mouth and pretended to swallow. He took the expected action from the Vareen's mind and pretended to stagger.

"Takes him to the dumping grounds," the hooded figure pointed out. Laughter erupted as a dark band went around Caden's head and blinded him. The amused low laugh continued as Caden was led out.

For some reason, this name struck a chord in his memory and he moved forward willingly, and docilely. Just as the Vareen wished him to. The caps

23. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Aww :( Poor Theron! He would do anything to rid his mind of the voices...the darkness. Poor guy. Caden is a friend to stay with him! Liked how he faked those guys out hehehehe

Great update :D

24. tangled_sphere

Dec 28, 2003
    Thanks for reading Kyn [:D] I'm hitting the road but I hope to find some 'hot spots' to jump on and keep up with Caden. [:D]

25. Zane-Marit

Jul 11, 2003
    Just a quick note to those following this story...Sorry for the delay, life has gotten in the way but do not fear, another post will becoming very soon. Thanks for reading and having patience with us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.