Co-Chairman State of The Menace Address

Discussion in 'Ft. Lauderdale, FL' started by AxtonTredway, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxtonTredway Jedi Knight

star 2
    Greetings fellow sci-fi fans and congratulations on making our chapter one of the most enduring and successful sci-fi clubs out there! Happy New Year! :)
    2002 marked the third consecutive year of The Fandom Menace since its foundation May, 1999....And what a ride its been! Not many clubs can boast that they've had 3 separate administrations with 3 distinct forms of government and have lived and thrived to tell the tale! What we have done thus far is the successful experimentation of a "dues free" organization (user fees only) combined with a token economy based upon experience points derived from participation. The result is a merit system that rewards extra effort without isolating members who "have lives". Sometimes "paliamentary procedure" goes awry during meetings and sometimes topics meander or become redundant, but its all part of the learning process of working together-We throw out what isn't working and keep the parts that are and build from there. We have thrived to keep meeting dates consisitent for the sake of continuity which is forming "tradition" and some things are becoming rather "automated". Communication is more than just emails, however, and we must maintatin the friendships that brought us together as a club. As I stated earlier, we have come a long way, especially with the limited resources that each of us are able to contribute in terms of time and $. Some of us have harrying job and school schedules while others also have families to raise. It's great when we can get together and play Sci-Fi despite the pressures of daily life and not be constatntly ruled by life's demands. Nevertheless we have maintained a "life comes first" approach that has served us well (Eventually we all get time to watch the tube)
    And although we have come a long way there is still much to do. I know there are some who resist the idea of a members' handbook feeling that we will lose the "intimacy" of a less formal group. I say it's how it is composed and what will comprise such a text. First contact procedures would be a good place to start, for one. We need to flesh out how to bring new members to the group without making the prospective member feel like an "outsider" while at the same time maintain the security of the group. I'm sure everyone has some good ideas and we will set aside such a time at future meetings just for this project.
    Other matters: DragonCon!....Registration is at $45 for now!We need to follow up on resolutions ratified on previous meetings. How much is everyone bringing to the next meeting for the DragonCon Project? Riachia will post a future thread/email on where we stand.....And Megacon is next month! Anyone know if they're going? Like I said...there's still work to be done....And I can hear ALL of you clamoring...."When do we flesh out our characters and do some dice & paper rpg?!" Well, Things are becoming a little more "normalized" now and I will begin auditing characters on a one-to-one basis begining Jan.18!
    Well, that's it for now. Congratulations to everyone who's helped make us great!......... And May The Force Be With You!!! :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.