main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Co-existing; people who like the film, people who hate it. How?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CEB, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    FWIW, I like the name 'Hater's Cave', mostly because I firmly believe that MOST posters there take it (the name) with a giant grain of salt - (see 'man cave'). It's just a thread...

2. SkooterNB

SkooterNB Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 4, 2005
    But its so tempting to look!

On the other side though I would love to bring up Han using the bowcaster and not have people immediately say that it was stupid/convoluted/doesn't fit 'canon' etc. There should be an understanding that we have different opinions, but also some opportunities to discuss what we loved and not feel like it would get shot down.

AmySolo and Satipo like this.
  3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Translation: “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time."

4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I enjoyed TFA well enough the two times I saw it in the theater. But it has plenty of flaws and weaknesses, and I'd be happy to discuss them if there wasn't an attempt to force the discussion about TFA's flaws and weaknesses into a thread branded with a "haters" title. That's patently unfair to people who enjoyed the film but felt it was one of the more flawed of the Star Wars movies. It's not as good as any of the OT films and not as bad as any of the PT films. But I'm not a hater, so mostly I don't discuss the movie here other than in the box office thread where I bring up the "TFA rehash" issue as it relates to the movie's commercial success.

5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    There's a huge difference between constructively discussing flaws and weakness and the kind of comments that get directed to the cave IMO.

6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Are people's feelings truly hurt that they "have" to post in a Star Wars forum thread with an obviously tongue-n-cheek title?

Or am I being trolled?

AmySolo likes this.
  7. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    The best advice I would give is that if you don't think someone is posting in a non constructive style to decent debate DON'T reply to them. Its IMHO an easy trap to fall into going after the easy pickings but its not ultimately a fulfilling one, respond to people who's debate you respect and the forum will be a much better place and you'll enjoy it more.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Middle ground is not an uncomfortable place. I have viewed the film in double digits and I am secure enough to say that it is an extremely flawed film in several glaring categories but that does not stop the film from breaking my top 3 in the entire saga and being a generally brilliant way to spend a few hours.

Ezon Pin, ucdex, EHT and 2 others like this.
  9. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

Pretty much this.

10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Sounds like the Star Wars Saga.
    Business as usual.

11. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Very well said, my man...

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

12. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the biggest problem with having a personal opinion about something to one extreme or the other makes it impossible for us to understand why someone else might think differently. Prequel haters will never understand why those who like or genuinely love them do so, and the Prequel fans will never understand why over a decade after the fact people still have to interject every conversation about Star Wars with swipes at the prequels or remind everyone how much they hate them.

The people that seem to have the most civil discussions here (Cave of Evil or otherwise) in my experience are those that realize that personal opinions are in fact "PERSONAL". I went into the Cave of Evil to vent about some things I didn't like about TFA, but I also know I wasn't going to change anybodies mind. That includes my own. I thought it was a good movie, but deeply flawed. I love that I have a place to both praise and tear down what I like and didn't like about the film. Its what makes me a fan. The thing I will NEVER do is try to change someone else's opinion or stand idly by when someone tries to change mine.

This is why they say never discuss religion or politics with people, and I do believe it applies to something like Star Wars which people can be equally passionate about. At a certain point fandom can become so ingrained in our definition of ourselves that when people don't fit into boxes that we want them to we just can't rationalize it. That is where most of the issues come from in my opinion.

Personally I take the approach of having my say and moving on.I don't care that some people think I'm dumb for enjoying the prequels despite growing up in the OT. One of the advantages of getting older I guess. I come here and seek out what I like and take that with me, and leave the rest behind. I have no desire to "defend" my opinion anymore. In the end, it is just that. An opinion.

ChildOfWinds, AmySolo and SkooterNB like this.
  13. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    And really, it has spawned a religion recognized by an existing government in reality so it should fall under that. Not that these things cannot be discussed but they won't be necessarily flippant and mindless debates.

[Also, love the avi, I adore Brecken for his performance as Boba alone.]

Dranem likes this.
  14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015

I don't have to post there, and I don't post there. However, I would post there if it didn't have an insulting title that assumes something untrue about people who criticize the movie.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  17. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014

I would be interested to hear from you about the flaws of the movie, if you would like to share here. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.