Coast to Coast Walk

Discussion in 'North' started by timbolton, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton Force Ghost

star 5
    Just been talking to Dave (Ranouch-Heath) about his planned Coast to Coast walk, the one designed by Wainwright) during the Summer of 2008. He's doing it for charity for Unicef. And it got me thinking. This is the big Northern walk, it takes in three national parks. Walking estimates are that it takes about 15 days or so. And since I am still part time/term time only, I could do this in July. So I am seriously looking into doing the walk, hopefully if I do it'll be along with Dave. And I'll do it for charity, most like the same as Dave's or one closer to me. Is there anyone else willing to take part?

At the least, it would be nice as a group to see him off from the NW coastline (Saint Bees, Whitehaven) and cheer him to the finish line, though it won't be Scaraborough as usual, he is walking an extra 20 miles up to Redcar.

------------------------------------------------------------

Wainwright site
    http://www.wainwright.org.uk/coast_to_coast/index.html

Rambler's Association guide
    http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/paths/coasttocoast.html

The Walking Englishman's diary
    http://www.walkingenglishman.com/coast2coast.htm

Smithsonian guide to the Wainwright walk
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/england.html

2. Ranouch-Heath Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks Tim (Anyone want to talk about this walk we chat about it sometimes on MSN)
  3. Dave_B Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well My Walking training is Going very well Ive lost about 2 stones in weight (Maybe from NOT drinking :_|) Ill be heading over to the NW towards the end of March for a walk around there.

Hows your Training going Tim ?

4. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
  5. Dave_B Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was thinking of doing this walk for Finn rather than Unicef what you guys think ?
  6. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
  7. Dave_B Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have already posted it on the 99th Boards saying Im doing it for Finn rather than other bigger charity's
  8. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    If anyone else is curious I've found this article on the coast-to-coast walk here
  9. Dave_B Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks Sie Even more reading for me to do good find -

I was thinking of asking Jase, Spike T and others to join us on the last leg of the walk ie Whitby to Redcar (12 Miles)
  10. Dave_B Jedi Knight

star 1
    I make it 6 weeks and counting down (I leave st Bee's on the 21st of June)
  11. Dave_B Jedi Knight

star 1
  12. edgejedi Force Ghost

star 1
    Are you and Tim still travelling together on the walk? How are the plans going? How long do you think it will take you?

13. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    For safety reasons, it might be best for you to travel together. If someone is injured on the trip then the other can get help (will the route you're walking through have a mobile phone connection? Some rural areas don't.)

BTW, how much sponsor money have you managed to raise, so far?
  14. Dave_B Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi Jase and Sie,

Ok to reply to your questions :

Training is going well at my end but I think Tim is getting a lot of Blisters just walking around His area,
    I am out walking most days and weekends and can easily cover 15 / 20 miles a day no problem,
    Yes we are walking together for safety reasons - Ill be going to the NW by train to meet up with Tim before we go walkie's.

I am using Spike T's (Spike a Thon as ref info) and I have the maps with me so we don't get lost, The walk should take 14/16 days In total but I will be leaving Tim in Robin Hoods bay as I will be carrying on towards Redcar. (Any of the FFUK N / RL /99th Members who want to walk Robin hoods to Redcar with me are very welcome)

As for Mobiles I am Not sure Ill be taking my Mobile but when near to local villages or towns like Richmond I can text who ever ?

As for Sponser Money - Ive a few letter to write and the local council and some local company's are Interested also the Gazette will do a bit in the paper. ( ITV Tyne/Tees might pick it up ?)

Then once Ive done this walk I'm doing ( Walk the Wall next year Newcastle to Carlisle ) to raise money for the MS Trust.
  15. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    As for Mobiles I am Not sure Ill be taking my Mobile but when near to local villages or towns like Richmond I can text who ever ?

The mobiles are there for your safety, mate. You might end up needing one to phone an ambulance should the worst happen. Always best to be prepared.
  16. Dave_B Jedi Knight

star 1
    Aye - my problem is I am trying to reduce the amount of weight to carry on my back
    But its on the list of Safety items to take, I am rather looking forward to this walk.
  17. Dave_B Jedi Knight

star 1
    Due to Changes :mad: I am Now walking the route on my own !

I have worked out a safety SMS ill be sending to a friends so I can be tracked on the route
  18. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Good you've sorted that out, mate.

Shame you have to do it on your own, though.
  19. J3D1_KN1GHT Jedi Knight

star 2
    Bummer mate!

Won't be the same on your own!
    Fetch Sie with you ;)

Good luck!
  20. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Lol. If only. Work wouldn't give me the time off.
  21. Dave_B Jedi Knight

star 1
    Cheers Ill keep you posted with how things go,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.