main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Coconuts - Humour One-post. Obi & Ani argue about coconuts. Mace overhears. **Author replies 6/12**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lolly_Tolly, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    Title: Coconuts
    Author: Lolly_Tolly
    Timeframe: Pre-RotS
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Mace Windu
    Genre: Humour, Mystery
    Keywords: Coconuts, argument
    Summary: Obi-Wan and Anakin argue about coconuts, and Mace overhears.
    Notes: Inspired by an argument at a bus stop. Many thanks to ZaraValinor for betaing this for me.
    Disclaimer: I do not own Star Wars.

Coconuts

Whispers echoed down the hall as Mace strode towards his next appointment at Yoda?s quarters. They were meeting to discuss some pressing issues concerning the war. Glancing quickly at his pocket chrono, he decided that he had a few minutes to spare for a brief detour. As he rounded the corner, he caught sight of Kenobi and Skywalker, whispering furiously to each other, obviously in the middle of a heated debate.

Before he could get close enough to discern what they were saying, they noticed him and promptly stopped whispering. They stared at him as if he had just thrown up on his tunic as he made his way slowly down the corridor.

This was the first of these odd incidents.

----====----

The second came when, while in the cafeteria, Mace caught sight of Kenobi and Skywalker bickering, but whenever someone would draw near, they would pretend to be engrossed in their meal.

Mace sat down by himself, a few tables from the pair and started to eat his lunch. Soon, his curiosity got the better of him, as he accessed the Force to enhance his hearing.

He heard a mere snippet of their conversation. ?It?s a fruit, Obi-Wan. You know I?m right, just concede, for once.?

?I am not going to concede, because you are most definitely mistaken. It?s a vegetable!?

Mace?s concentration was broken as he contemplated the immaturity that the two most famous Jedi were currently displaying. He decided to bring the matter to Yoda himself.

----====----

Standing outside the Council Chambers, Obi-Wan quickly whispered, ?Vegetable!?

To which the reply was, ?Fruit!?

At this point, the doors swung open, foregoing any further debate.

As they reached the centre, Yoda addressed them. ?Brought to our attention, it has been, that arguing, you are, to a point that, disruptive to some, it is.? At their brief nods, he continued, ?Wish to know we do, of the topic of your arguments.?

After exchanging a glance with Anakin, Obi-wan spoke up, ?Anakin thinks that coconuts are fruit and I think that they?re vegetables.?

The silence that followed was thick enough to be cut with a knife.

Then Mace said, ?Um. Coconuts are nuts.?

This provoked a rebuke from Yoda, ?Older am I! Wiser am I! Know I do that seeds, coconuts are!?

The brave initiate who dared to enter with a message ten minutes later was shocked to see Council members yelling at each other over whether coconuts were fruit, vegetables, nuts or seeds.

----====----

Please let me know what you think!

2. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Methinks the Council members need to learn their facts. Everyone knows coconuts are a mineral! :p

Very funny. I especially liked how Obi-Wan and Anakin were trying to conceal their argument, but a certain nosy Master just had to find out what ws up.

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Too short is what I think! [face_laugh]

Can't they "google" it in the GFFA?

4. celine

celine Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2007
    LOL. I don't know what it is either. This is going to keep me up all night if I don't google it, Lolly! :)

Cute and...thought provoking. LOL.

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    [face_laugh][face_laugh]loved it funny LOL

6. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Coconuts, now that is a question that deserves an answer.[face_thinking]
    I think I'll look it up on google.
    I'll get back to you.8-}

Very funny I liked it.=D=

Or I might catch a bus to the library and look it up, that
    is if I dont miss the bus.[face_devil]

7. Ewanish

Ewanish Jedi Master star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    The Coconut Palm (Cocos nucifera) is a member of the Family Arecaceae (palm family). It is the only species in the genus Cocos, and is a large palm, growing to 30 m tall, with pinnate leaves 4-6 m long, pinnae 60-90 cm long; old leaves break away cleanly leaving the trunk smooth. The term coconut refers to the fruit of the coconut palm. An alternate spelling is cocoanut.

but then it says that its a fruit....and a coconut is a simple dry nut known as a fibrous drupe

so its both? lol

8. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

That was priceless, Lolly!

Though I do admit I was wondering at the start whether you'd be incorporating a certain scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail into it. :p

9. mujapple-juicey

mujapple-juicey Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2008
    THAT WAS GENIUS!
    LOL!
    What are coconuts really though?
    I feel sorry for that initiate. A pain to the young ears.
    FUNNY!

10. CommanderK23

CommanderK23 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2004
    LOL [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I love it!

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    LOL this was hilarious.

BTW, for your info, I got this from wikipedia:

The Coconut Palm (Cocos nucifera) is a member of the Family Arecaceae (palm family). It is the only species in the genus Cocos, and is a large palm, growing to 30 m tall, with pinnate leaves 4-6 m long, pinnae 60-90 cm long; old leaves break away cleanly leaving the trunk smooth. The term coconut refers to the fruit of the coconut palm. An alternate spelling is cocoanut.

Later in the article, it says:

Botanically, a coconut is a simple dry nut known as a fibrous drupe. The husk, or mesocarp, is composed of fibres called coir and there is an inner stone, or endocarp. The endocarp is the hardest part. This hard endocarp, the outside of the coconut as sold in the shops of non-tropical countries, has three germination pores that are clearly visible on the outside surface once the husk is removed. It is through one of these that the radicle emerges when the embryo germinates. Adhering to the inside wall of the endocarp is the testa, with a thick albuminous endosperm (the coconut "meat"), the white and fleshy edible part of the seed.

So, it is a fruit, nut, and seed... not a vegetable or mineral.

12. jedipati

jedipati Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 12, 2000
    This was great!

13. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    He heard a mere snippet of their conversation. ?It?s a fruit, Obi-Wan. You know I?m right, just concede, for once.?
    ?I am not going to concede, because you are most definitely mistaken. It?s a vegetable!?

LOL!!! Somehow, this is so THEM!

This provoked a rebuke from Yoda, ?Older am I! Wiser am I! Know I do that seeds, coconuts are!?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Wonderful=D= Briliantly IC on top of everything!

14. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Hilarious! [face_laugh] And it sounds just like something those two would snip back and forth about. Hmm... we all know a coconut is fruit. Vegetables, after all, are green and... yucky by some accounts. Coconuts are sweet and succulent. They are also nuts, which are also seeds! What do you know... a fruit that can multi-task!

15. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    Meredith_Kenobi: Yes. Of course coconuts are minerals... Just like zinc. Yep, totally!

Valairy_Scot: Most of my things are short. I know why, and I'm trying to fix it. Yes, they could google it, but then I couldn't write a story about it. :(

celine: I'm glad I achieved something, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

earlybird-obi-wan: Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Geri: *I poke my tongue in your general direction*

Ewanish: Indeed. It is also a seed. :D

Idri: It's been ages since I've seen that movie, so I don't get the reference. I'm glad you enjoyed it though!

mujapple_juicey: Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

CommanderK23: Thanks for reading and commenting!

Alexis_Wingstar: I'm glad you enjoyed it! Also, thanks for the information, but I already knew that. *sheepish smile* My dad's a hortoculturist. :)

jedipati: Thanks for reading and commenting!

Alley_Skywalker: So glad to know that my friend and I emulate Obi-Wan and Anakin. Also, what's an IC?

p_stotts: Actually fruit have their seeds on the inside and vegetables on the outside. So capsicum, tomatoes, beans and many others are actually fruit. But other than that, you're right! :p Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks again everyone!

16. Alley_Skywalker

Alley_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2005
    IC = In Character

:)

17. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
  18. mujapple-juicey

mujapple-juicey Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2008
    Whenever I'm down, this is on my list reread!
    Makes me laugh hard.
    Still feeling sorry for that initiate.

19. Abeja

Abeja Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Hey- the question is really good but I am glad we settled it now, otherwise I could get the idea, to tell you all, that a coconut is clearly not a fruit, mineral, vegetable, seed or nut...it's your worst enemy![face_laugh]. But since I am a normal nice person I won't do so. Great story- and thank you for the laugh!

20. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    The definitive answer to the mystery:

By Kasma Loha-unchit
    Text Copyright © 1995 Kasma Loha-unchit.

Also Available: Links to information on this site about the coconut | includes: Coconuts as an Ingredient | Coconuts in Thailand | How to Crack a Coconut

Options: Index of articles | Thai recipes | Cooking classes | Thai cookbooks | Contact Kasma

Coconut - Sprouting Though its name suggests that it is a nut, I've always regarded coconut as a fruit. When the coconut is young, it has properties like fruit, and as it matures, it becomes more nutty. But in fact it is not a nut or a fruit; it is a seed.

Unless it is picked, a matured coconut eventually drops from the tree. The fully developed hard shell does not crack easily. Dry and brown, the coconut may sit underneath the tree for months and appear as if it were dead, until one day a green shoot pushes its way out of the shell. The whole time the old coconut has been sitting under the tree, changes have been slowly taking place inside. At one end of the coconut (where the eyes are), an embryo starts growing, feeding off the juice and nutrition of the thick white flesh. This embryo develops into a creamy mass that gradually fills much of the empty space inside. It is good to eat ? sweet, somewhat spongy and less fibrous than the matured meat.

The embryo eventually sprouts out of the shell and becomes a young coconut seedling. At this point, the plant can survive for several more weeks or months on the food and water inside as roots gradually develop and extend out of the shell to anchor the plant in the ground. Nutritious coconut meat can sustain life for a long time; one of my students, who is a horticulturist, has successfully used coconut milk to nurse seedlings of Coconutother plants in his greenhouse. Coconut palms lead a long productive life. They begin bearing fruits at the age of five to seven years and continue to do so until they are seventy to eighty years old.

As complete seed packages, coconuts have been known to travel to faraway lands to find new homesteads. Stories abound of coconuts floating their way across seas and oceans to be washed ashore on distant islands, rooting themselves in handsome groves to greet visiting humans in search of paradise. The dehusked coconuts you buy at the supermarket, however, are no longer productive seed packages. Once the husk is removed, the seed dies.

Text Copyright © 1995 Kasma Loha-unchit in It Rains Fishes. See pages 115 to 116.

Awwwwww! Coconuts!

Cute story too.

21. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I've got a lo-ve-ly bunch o' coconuts.
    There they are a-standin' in a row.
    Big ones, small ones, some as big as yer 'ead!
    Give 'em a twist, a flick o' the wrist,
    That's what the showman said.

Felt like singing that, nice viggie lolly!

22. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    mujapple-juicey: Thanks! I'm glad you liked it so much.

Abeja: Killer Coconuts! [face_skull] Thanks for your words of praise!

NelanisGhost: Hehe. Yes, they're seeds. Thanks for commenting.

Katana: Lol! Lion King! :p Thanks!

23. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I don't know if a coconut is a nut or fruit but I do know that it can become a seed.

Another thing I know is that if you cut a coconut in half and srap out the insides then hit the two hollow sides togaeth it makes a noise very simliar to the clopping of horse hooves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.