main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT Code Breaker: The Journal of Kash Ferros (DDC 2017) concluded 12/27

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by divapilot, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Always a treat to see good old Master Nu! [face_dancing] And what's even better: even if she does spook Kash a bit at first (and yep, she does have that ghostly quality, doesn't she!) she proves to be a sympathetic ear, and even believes him enough to take increased protective measures for the library (or at least to say she's going to). Given what a fount of knowledge we know she is, I wouldn't be surprised if she's familiar with this phenomenon of distance projection and can recognize the signs of it (perhaps better than Masters Fisto and Doranni could, I'd wager, even if Kash had told them more about what he'd experienced). Wonderful descriptions of the library and its rare and important holdings, too—yep, as someone who loves the materiality of books and who had a bit of a print culture emphasis in my graduate work, I have to say paper instead of flimsi is pretty darn special! :D

And of course Saleris (ogosh, I almost wrote "Salieri" :p ) is by his side with sympathy and friendship once again. It can be a difficult and awkward thing when a friend who's taken the same test as you passes, while you don't—but there is no awkwardness between Kash and Saleris at all, so true-blue their friendship is. Though I share Kash's apprehension about how much time they'll be able to spend together in future, now that Sal's time belongs to his master.

Given Kash's current state, I can see how the ominous message from Master Windu would spook him! And dismissal from the order does seem like a distinct possibility, given how things have been going for Kash recently. :( And yet—if they wanted to just boot Kash out outright, couldn't they just do so by way of a holomessage or some such without needing him to show up for a meeting? Besides, I remember how sympathetic Master Fisto was toward Kash in the previous entry; certainly that must count for something. Plus, as Lady_Misty points out, Master Nu can now vouch for him too. So all things considered, I'm guessing the situation is going to wind up being much more complex than "keep him in vs. boot him out." [face_thinking]

Kash and his situation get more intriguing with each entry—do keep 'em coming! :cool:

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  2. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005

Thanks! I appreciate it! Kash is only human, and a teenager on top of it, so naturally he feels pretty low about not passing his trial, especially since he got an unheard-of second chance. He wants to understand this strange phenomenon that has now happened twice to him. He didn’t know where he went last time, but he knows he went to the archives this time, so maybe he could find a clue that would show him how to control this event in the future. Jocasta believes him, and she is the one who contacted the council about it.
    As for him wondering about non-Force users, I would think that the kids who were raised in the Jedi Temple would be pretty sheltered from real life. When you grow up sensing the thoughts and emotions all the time, being severed from that ability, even though that’s how the vast majority of the population lives, must seem lonely and scary.

Thank you! That’s exactly what happened. She is, of course, concerned with protecting her archives. She doesn’t know that they are already seeing potential hints of treachery; her information is added to their growing list of warning signs.

[/FONT]
    Thank you! I’m partial to Master Nu, and growing to like her more and more. She lives for her library. It’s literally her life’s work. If anything is a threat to it, she would go completely mama bear on it. And she probably does know something (or where to find something) about distance projection, if she had had the time to research it before the archives were destroyed. We always think we have enough time to do everything we want.
    When I wrote this I was thinking of the US Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. What amazing things are in this most beautiful of public libraries!

Lol - my computer keeps telling me his name is “salaries.” Saleris knows as well as Kash that he can’t really hang out with Kash anymore. Their lives have taken different routes. But they’re still best friends, at least for the time being, and they will make the most of the time they have before Kash has to go back to Salliche and Saleris has to begin his training on Coruscant.

Kash’s mind went to the worst case scenario. He feels like a loser for failing the trials a second timer and he assumes others view him like a loser, too. He doesn’t see the bigger picture. He does have people on his side, namely Kit Fisto and Jocasta Nu. And yes, they didn’t need to have Saleris bring the message in person. But like I mentioned above, I think Saleris volunteered to bring the message so that he could have an excuse to see his dear brother one more time before their lives diverged.

Thank you to all who stopped in to read and/or reply! This story is not dead; it’s just moving very, very slowly.

3. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005

Thank you for your kind words! Kash is a teenager, after all, and he will be moody. But he’s also a disciplined Jedi and is not going to wallow in the unfairness of it all. He’s kind of a foil for Anakin, who did not grow up in the temple and has not had this kind of belief system hammered into him from an early age. When things don’t go Anakin’s way and he feels he has been taken advantage of or slighted, he feels he has to argue for his “rights” (as an ex-slave, that would have been pretty dominant in his mind, imho). But here, Kash accepts it as the will of the Force and he trusts that the Force has other plans for him.

The masters certainly want to get to the bottom of this event. However, as to whether it leads to greater vigilance, we always think we have more time than we actually do.

Angry!Mace can scare the heck out of anyone. But Yoda will see deeper than the obvious.

Thank you for your reply! Kash only told Master Nu about the archives, and she didn’t think to ask for more information. As a librarian-in-training, I know that if anyone tried to meddle with my books they’d be in for a world of hurt, so I can see Jocasta getting very protective with her archives. As far as she knows, there is an attack and her archives are the target. She’s lived her entire life protecting and nurturing them. Jocasta’s concern is pretty limited to her archives. She’s going to make sure they are safe from an external physical assault, but she has no idea that it will be an inside job (of course, neither does Kash).

Yes, it was Saleris who picked up the pieces and brought them back for his friend. Saleris is excited to begin his new role as a temple guardian trainee, which will make him extremely vulnerable and extremely ill-prepared for what we know is coming.

Mace gets the job done. He isn’t going to soften the blow. And I hadn’t seen that angle of it, where sending Saleris to deliver the message is kind of rubbing Kash’s face in his defeat. I saw it more as a friend who delivers potentially bad news would be more comforting to Kash than a total stranger, or just getting a cold comm. In my headcanon, Saleris asks to be the one to bring the message. He knows his opportunities to see his friend are coming to an end (oh the irony, he doesn’t know exactly how true) and he wants an excuse to visit with Kash again.

Findswoman , Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Please forgive the double post. I have had a hard time posting all the replies and the best way to do it seemed to be to split them into two shorter posts.

Entry 14.
    That walk down the corridor to the Council Chambers was the longest one I ever took. Every footstep that my brown leather boots made on the polished stone floor seemed to be an echo of the end of everything I had ever known.

The masters were going to dismiss me.

I had to go in there and face it with courage and with tranquility. I had begun to accept that it was the will of the Force that I should not become a knight. Now it seemed to be the will of the Force that I wouldn’t even be allowed the privilege of calling myself a Jedi.

Thirty more footsteps until I reached the great wooden doors.

What would I do now? What was I even qualified to do? I knew nothing of life outside the Order. I had hardly even ever interacted with anyone who wasn’t Force sensitive. Was I even capable of going my own way, of making a living? I suppose I could be a farmer on some ranch somewhere. Maybe they would let me stay on with the farm on Salliche as a paid laborer.

Ten more steps.

I tried to steel myself for the harsh words I would undoubtedly hear about my failure. Maybe they would tell me all my education was a waste of their time. Maybe they wouldn’t be so cruel. If Master Fisto was there, he might be lenient to me. But I knew Master Windu had little patience or sympathy for those who didn’t measure up to his high standards.

I had reached the doors. I took a deep breath and knocked, then I tucked my arms inside the sleeves of my tunic and waited.

The doors opened and I walked inside. A surreptitious glance showed me that along with Master Windu, I was fortunate to have Master Fisto and Master Yoda there, too. Maybe they would be reasonable.

I walked to the center of the room and stood in the center of the room, on the circular design, the inscribed ancient symbol of the Whills. I lowered my head respectfully and waited to be spoken to.

It was quiet for a few moments before I hear the baritone voice of Master Windu. “Initiate Kash Ferros. Master Nu contacted us about you. She said you had an interesting story to relate. She sensed that you were not only sincere in your belief about the truth of your story, but that you felt it was important enough to investigate further.” Out of the corner of my eye I saw Master Windu lean back in his seat, his elbow on the armrest and his hand stroking his chin.

Having been spoken to, it was appropriate for me to now raise my own head to face them. “Yes, sir,” I answered. “I had a vision.”

“More than a vision you had,” Master Yoda said. I could sense the delicate traces of a probe around me. I resisted the instinct to shield my thoughts; I had nothing to hide from him. “About the vision you must speak. No detail leave out.”

I took a breath, composed myself, and told them everything I could remember. The stench of the electrical fire, the smell of discharged blaster plasma that hung in the smoky air, the screams of children and adults, the heavy tromping of military boots. I told them about the clone trooper killing that child, who was absolutely no threat to him at all. I told about the horrifying feeling of being trapped, and about the sensation of evil seeping into the room like a flooding river relentlessly overrunning its banks.

When I had finished, I cast a glance to Master Fisto. He looked at the other two masters. “I saw the whole thing. Kash was doing very well with his test when suddenly he went completely rigid and then collapsed. We stopped the test immediately and summoned a healer, who had never seen anything like this. You read the documentation from the infirmary. There were physical injuries consistent with someone who had been exposed to severe smoke.”

“He could have been exposed to the smoke before the test,” suggested Master Windu.

“If so, then he would have coughed and wheezed through the entire thing,” Master Fisto countered. “This was significant damage. Kash was admitted to the infirmary for respiratory treatment.”

There was a gentle rapping of a stick against the side of the chair. “About the presence you felt, more tell us,” Yoda said. He seemed disinterested in the effects of the vision.

I frowned. “It was like cold, like something icy trying to pierce my heart. It was deliberate, and it was focused on death.” Then a better explanation came to me. “No, not death exactly — it was focused on extermination.”

“Extermination of what?” Master Windu asked, but he directed the question to Master Yoda. Yoda merely grunted in reply.

“Could you sense a particular person behind the sensation?” asked Master Fisto.

I shook my head. “There was a center to the coldness, but I had never felt single-minded evil like that before. It was as if whoever this presence was, it wanted to complete this extermination, this complete destruction, in the most efficient and ruthless manner possible. There was no negotiation, no mercy. I got the impression that they were going room to room and just — annihilating everything.”

“Annihilating everything in the temple itself, or was it broader, like throughout Coruscant?”

“I don’t know. I’m sorry. I only touched the presence for a moment. But it was a very strong presence in the Force.”

The three men were silent for a moment. Then Master Windu spoke softly. “This may relate to the reports we’ve heard from … other sources. Where is Master Kenobi?”

“On his way to Utapau,” replied Master Fisto.

“Discuss this with him as soon as he completes that mission we shall,” Master Yoda said. “A message to that effect I will send him.”

They seemed to remember I was still in the room. Master Windu turned back to me. “Kash, thank you for your candid answers today. You have given us much to consider.”

I turned slightly to face him. “Master Windu, what will the Council do with me now?”

He seemed surprised by the question. “I don’t think we have any further inquiries. You’re free to go back to whatever you were doing before your incident with the vision. You’re stationed on Salliche, right? I read that you were here training to start taking over the business end of the facility.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Then I suppose you complete your education here, and head back home. Thank you for your time. You may leave us.”

Master Fisto spoke, his voice reassuring. “Kash, if you think we intend to punish you for something that you had no control over, and that may in fact have given us some critical information, then you’re mistaken. You have an unusual gift. We have no desire to lose that.” He smiled broadly. “You may not have qualified for becoming a Jedi Knight, but you still have tremendous value to the order. You’re smart, kind, and talented. We need Jedi like you.”

Although they weren’t the words I had always dreamed I would hear, they still made me feel a little proud of myself. I bowed. “Thank you, Masters,” I said respectfully.

I turned and went back to the doors, which opened slowly for me. I heard them close behind me as I walked back down that corridor.

The thought of losing the title of Jedi was far more catastrophic than losing my long-held desire to earn the rank of padawan. I sighed with relief and allowed myself a smile. I was still a Jedi. I would always be a Jedi. I just never would be a Jedi knight.

And it was fine.

The program I had been working on was coming to an end within a week. The thought of going to Salliche was reassuring. I longed to walk under the oliviara trees with Master Quinnus, to listen to the sounds of the evening insects in the fields, to lie on the roof on a cloudless night and look up at the stars. I was ready to go home.

5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    In before you post - DARN, I WILL BE FOUR OR FIVE UPDATES BEHIND. But I love this, I PROMISE.<3

Findswoman likes this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    divapilot -- I am very happy to find an update, and a very gratifying one it is! I knew with Yoda and Master Fisto there would be voices of reason and compassion, as well as seeing the bigger picture. I am happy they still feel Kash has some value, which of course he does, to the Order--being as was mentioned, smart, kind, and talented. [face_thinking] It is wonderful that he is looking forward to going back to Salliche. :) He seems to have come to a point of serenity about his future path. @};-

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Nice chapter
    I like the fact that the council believes Kash,that they trust his vision enought to investigate it.I think Yoda might have sensed how important it is. Though it seems that with Obi Wan traveling to Utapau Order 66 is soon going to happen so it might be too late. It's also nice to see Kash now fully accept his place at the agricultur corps, that he accepts that, despite not becoming a knight, he is still a Jedi and always will be.

8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Ohmigosh! If Obi-Wan is on his way to Utapau it means that... [face_nail_biting] [face_nail_biting] [face_nail_biting]

Poor Kash, being so utterly terrified on his way to the Council chambers. Mace Windu really needs to learn a thing or two about how to handle people who have been through a nasty ordeal, but unfortunately he won't have time to learn anything, will he?

I loved your characterisation of the three Jedi masters: Mace, blunt and suspicious as usual, Yoda, sensing that there is something big at stake and trying to get to the point, and Kit Fisto smiling ( [face_love] ) and being kind and compassionate. Kash needed so badly to be told that he's valued after failing his trials for the second time and in such a horrible way; it's a good thing that Kit was there to give him a bit of reassurance instead of being focused only on matters of galactic importance.

PS: I need to PM you, because there's a line in this chapter that makes me want to coordinate one of my stories with yours.

Findswoman likes this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    PS: I need to PM you, because there's a line in this chapter that makes me want to coordinate one of my stories with yours.

I just love when that happens. ^:)^

[face_party]
    [:D]

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thank goodness for compassionate, understanding presences like Masters Fisto and Yoda. It made me so glad to see Fisto in particular advocating for Kash to Master Windu and reassuring Kash that he’s not crazy, that they take him seriously, and that he is a valuable member of the Jedi order even if he’s not a KNIGHT knight. That is just what Kash needs to hear right now, especially given the unease we know he is feeling as he approaches this momentous meeting with his superiors. And not only that: those kind, encouraging words are enough to dispel Kash’s unease about his future and position, possibly for good. This is a wonderful step for him—though I bet this isn’t the last momentous revelation he’ll gain by way of this unusual gift of his. At least for now he gets to return home, hopefully to some well-deserved peace and calm. @};-

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  11. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I feel terrible that i didn't worry about not seeing an update from this.

So the Jedi Council did speak to Kash and don't seem to know what to make of this information and my heart almost stopped when I read that Obi-Wan is on Utapau and that Kash has about a week left before leaving to return to his post.

I guess that he might never return to his beloved garden.

Findswoman likes this.
  12. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I know that I am echoing the readers above, but I have to do it anyway: Obi-Wan is on his way to Utupau! Oh my, but the end - in one sense of the word, is certainly coming a lot sooner than Kash or anyone who is aware of his vision suspects. [face_worried] :eek: It makes it all the more bitter and frustrating that they were this close to having yet another clue as to the bigger picture, but ultimately unable to take it anywhere. It's heartbreaking and wonderfully thematic. :(

But, now on to Kash: the poor dear! My heart just broke for how much he was worried for his meeting with the Masters. He was so certain that he wouldn't be wanted, that he'd be cast aside - I was especially happy with Master Fisto setting that outlook to rights. Kash is unique, he is wanted, even if he isn't a Knight - he is still a valuable part of the Order, and seeing the peace he has for returning to his life on Salliche, all the while knowing what's right around the corner . . .

Ack, it's going to be painful, but I'm mesmerized! I truly can't wait to see where your next update goes. [face_love]=D=

13. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005

That’s OK. I’m glad you’re still interested in this! :D Take your time. Thanks for dropping in!

Thank you for your reply! Yes, reason won out in the end and it turned out that Kash was worried over nothing. He tends to be a bit of a perfectionist and he has very high standards for himself, so he expected the masters to come down hard on him for failing the lightsaber trial. However, the masters are experienced and they know that each person has a role to play and a talent that benefits the order as a whole. Kash is starting to understand that he is part of something much larger than he is.:)

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Yes, they do believe Kash, and they take his vision seriously. Of course, Kash has no idea what else they know, but this information from him concerns the Council. And time is running out. :eek:
    As for Kash, he has matured greatly. Coming to Coruscant has given him a chance to see where he fits into the Jedi Order. Not everyone can have the knight’s glamorous, adventurous life, but everyone is important in their own way.

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it. The meeting with the masters was stressful, but as you point out, Kit was encouraging and supportive. Kash has grown up a lot during his time on Coruscant, not just as a young man but also as a Jedi. He accepts his place and is happy to be a part of a larger whole. :)

Thank you for your comments! It’s frustrating for us, as readers, because we know what Kash saw. We also know that the clock is ticking if Obi-Wan is en route to Utapau. Yoda, Mace, and Kit have the evidence right in front of them but they are critically underestimating how much time they have left. You always think you have more time. :_|

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! Yes, they were this close. All the evidence was in front of them; they hesitated and it cost them everything. But they had no idea of the enormous scope of the treachery. If only.. if only. :(

There are so many ironies here. Kash was, as you said, so worried that he would be rejected and he would lose everything he had ever known as a Jedi. Then to find out that the Masters still valued him, even with what he had thought was a terrible failure. Kash knows now who he is, and what truly makes him happy. In a way, he is a more proficient Jedi than he has ever been. He’s accepted his flaws and his unique talents, and he is ready to make the best of what the Force has given him. Unfortunately, the end is closer than any of them imagine. :(

Thanks! The next chapter follows. There are only two chapters left in this part.;)

14. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Entry 15.

I’m going back to Salliche sooner than I thought. When I got back from my meeting with the masters, the office where I was working was being broken down and packed away. I went up to my supervisor, Callie, and asked what was going on.

“Your work is done here,” she said. She kept undoing the wiring from the mobile scanners. “We received orders this morning to send you folks home tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” I asked. “Why so soon? I haven’t run the cost-return algorithms yet. We didn’t complete the study on the climate variations on the harvest results. What about our work?”

Callie turned to me. “Things can be completed back on Salliche. In fact,” she said, indicating with a nod of her head, “they’re going with you. I think it’s to continue the studies. Why else would there be a specific order for clone soldiers to accompany you back to the farm?”

I looked over. There was Bo and Geor and Surrex, speaking with a couple of other clone troopers I didn’t recognize. I walked towards them and Bo’s face lit up.

He reached out and ruffled my short brown hair. “So, young Jedi. You survived your meeting with the Masters,” he said.

I smiled good-naturedly. “Yes. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be.” I took another look around. “Is it true? You’re coming with us back to Salliche?”

Bo nodded. “Yep. Me and the guys, plus the new guys here.” He pointed to one clone trooper, then the other. “This is Five-niner and Banner.”

The other men smiled and waved at me. Bo put his arm around my shoulders. “Since this is our last night on Coruscant, what do you say you help me with a special dinner tonight? We’ll celebrate a mission well completed. We got a lot of work done here.”

“I hope so,” I said, laughing. “I really want you soldiers to have some decent food. I hate thinking of you eating nutrients out of a tube. You deserve better.”

“Well, your work is making our lives better, that’s for sure, and we appreciate it.” Bo patted his belly and smiled at me. Then he lowered his voice and leaned in. “I have just enough sun spice left for a steak. Are you in?”

“You bet!”

He laughed and patted my shoulder. “Go get your things packed. We leave at first light tomorrow. Then come meet me in the kitchen and tonight I will make us a dinner we’ll remember for a long time!”

We did have a great meal that night. I got to learn a little about the new guys, Banner and Five-niner, and we reminisced with the Coruscanti Jedi who had helped us with our project.

The only one who wasn’t there was Saleris.

Of course, it was weird without him. I looked over at his seat, the one Banner sat in now. But I had to remember that he was embarking on his own journey. Saleris would be staying at the temple, and he would be fulfilling his destiny as a temple guardian. I wondered if he knew I was leaving. Of course, we wouldn’t be able to say goodbye to each other tomorrow. Saleris would be training somewhere with his new Master, as a loyal and devoted Padawan should. I wondered if we’d meet again.

Bo looked over at me, and his expression became concerned. “Are you all right, my friend? Is there something wrong with the food?”

I sighed. “No, it’s delicious. I just—“ I glanced over at the seat now taken by Banner again. Bo’s line of vision followed mine.

“Ah. Well, don’t you Jedi have a philosophy about things being the will of the Force? I guess the Force has something in store for you back in Salliche, but for Saleris, his path stays here.”

I nodded slowly. “Trust the Force. That’s what Master Quinnus always says.”

Bo put his hand on my shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. “But it’s still hard to say goodbye to your friend, isn’t it?”

I nodded wordlessly.

Bo let out a deep breath. He turned to the table and raised his glass of wine. “To our new friends,” he said, nodding in the direction of Banner and Five-niner, “and to the ones we leave behind. May the Force be with us all.”

We raised our glasses and joined the toast.

Tomorrow morning I leave my Little Brother behind. I hope he does well and fulfills his destiny with honor. But I have my own responsibilities to attend to, and with the help of dear and true friends like Bo, I will try to bring honor to my own destiny, whatever that may be, as well.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Bo is so wonderfully insightful & supportive. :) You can sense Kash's readiness to accept his life as it is with serenity but of course he misses Saleris @};- It is a fine balance, being receptive to new experiences/friendships and celebrating the memories of those we hav to leave behind. [face_thinking]

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Wonderful to see this continuing! I just love Bo—have ever since you introduced him—such a great down-to-earth supportive, friendly guy, and it's so much fun that he and Kash get to cook together again. It's cool to see Bo invoking the Jedi concept of the will of the Force, but also sympathetic to the bittersweet side of having to leave an old friend behind—namely Kash's also-wonderful "little brother" Saleris. That kind of understanding is more than a lot of Kash's Jedi superiors have, I have to say.

Now, having said that—I would say that I am stoked that Bo and several of his comrades will be going with Kash to Salliche, but knowing the period of Galactic history during which this takes place (and hearing about this Very Specific Order that the clone troopers accompany him back), I am seriously worried too. When Order 66 falls on Kash (and I know it will in some form, though I know too that he survives), it's going to hurt all the more because of this wonderful friendship that he developed with one of the troopers. Indeed, I could see it being really rough on Bo himself, feeling the pull between that friendship and the programming he'll be forced to carry out.

But for now, though, I too will join the toast, and will wish Kash much success (and good luck, too!) in this next step of his career. I know that whatever dangers may lie ahead for him, he is completely capable of bringing honor to his destiny and playing a unique and integral role in the universe. @};-

17. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Well I'm glad that I am not the only one that's sad about certain turn of events.

Is Kash going to survive? If he does he's going to be (un)lucky; lucky to survive but he will have lost his friends and home and have to live on the run/worry about the Empire finding him.

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  18. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Thank you for reading and replying! Bo has learned so much from Kash about who the Jedi are, and Kash in turn has gotten to see the human side of the clone troopers because of Bo. They really do respect each other and wish the best for each other. And Kash understands, as a Jedi, that attachments are forbidden for a reason: he can’t hold back Saleris from his destiny because he selfishly wants to continue their friendship. Their paths have already diverged - more than Kash realizes.

That Very Specific Order is troublesome, says the people who know what is about to happen. Bo truly likes Kash, and that’s the real tragedy and cruelty of the command itself.

Kash has no idea what is ahead for him, but nobody in his situation does. In a way, the fact that he has never really fit in either at the Temple or on Salliche has prepared him more than he can imagine. He has lived his entire life struggling to be the perfect Jedi. Things will change for him radically. Every major disaster seems to start with a toast to success.

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate it! The Force has plans for Kash, but it isn’t going to be easy for him. Although he doesn’t realize it, he has lived a very sheltered and protected life so far. He will be challenged beyond what he can even begin to imagine.

19. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Entry 14.

There’s something about coming back to a place after you’ve been gone. Our speeder drove through the local town of Charij and made its way across the hills, and then suddenly in the small valley was our farm. I opened myself to the Force and I felt the welcome immediately.

We pulled through the gates and drove up to the entrance to the main building. A young person I didn’t recognize came out right away to help us unload the speeder. I helped her for a few moments, then I felt a familiar presence approach us. I turned, and there was Master Quinnus.

He smiled at me, his pointed teeth white and bright. “Kash! It’s so good to have you home.” The tips of his montrails twitched slightly, which meant he was pleased.

I stopped unloading equipment and luggage. “It’s good to be back, Master.” I embraced him warmly.

He smiled at me, then turned to Bo and the other troopers. “Welcome! We look forward to continuing our work with you.”

“We’re looking forward to it, too,” Bo said. “Our collaboration on Coruscant worked well. It’s nice to be here in the country. I’ve never had the chance to be somewhere so peaceful before.”

“We’ve prepared a special meal for you and for our guests,” Master Quinnus said.

I bowed respectfully. “Thank you, that’s very kind —“ I suddenly stopped. I looked around. “Where’s my personal bag?” I asked.

I began to rummage frantically through the luggage. My heart felt like it was in my throat. I had to have that bag. I looked at Master Quinnus in alarm.

Bo came over, concerned. “I’m sorry, Kash,” he said. “I saw it on a table at the station when we first arrived, and I didn’t want you to lose it so I put it in with the electronics equipment.”

Master Quinnus glanced at him. “The electronics equipment has to stay in Charij for processing. There’s a transportation tariff.”

Bo looked stricken. “Kash, I’m sorry. Your bag must still be there. Was there anything in it you needed?”

Let’s see. My scan docs, my kyber crystal, my lightsaber parts, my toiletries…

Master Quinnus smiled consolingly at me. “Tomorrow, at first hour, you can take the speeder and head back to town. I’ll access the credits to pay the import tariff and you can pick your bag up then. Don’t worry, it will be safe there. We’ll get you whatever you need for tonight.”

I considered his words. Master Quinnus was right. I could wait and pick it up in the morning. I relaxed a little and Master Quinnus chuckled. “Besides, there are some errands I could have you run. I’ll put you to work while you’re there.” He turned and smiled in greeting to the clone troopers. “For now, let’s meet our new friends and show them to their quarters.”

I introduced Bo and the other clone troopers to Master Quinnus. Bo seemed eager to explore the farm and the gardens, and the other troopers stood there politely. Then Nirra, the young Agricorps student who had greeted us on our arrival, beckoned for them to follow her to the visitor’s rooms where they would be staying.

Master Quinnus and I were alone. He was quiet for a moment. “I heard about what happened on Coruscant,” he said. “How are you feeling now?”

I took the last of the cases and loaded it onto a droid sled, then directed the droid to deliver the burden to the office area. “I’m okay.” I looked up at Master Quinnus. “It was intense, though.”

He began to walk toward the carved wood doorway that led to the main hall of our building. “I’m glad you’re better. I’m sorry that you didn’t achieve what you had hoped for, Kash. But trust the Force. It has a plan for you.”

“I know,” I sighed.

“We rejoice for Saleris that he has found his place in the Force. You are finding your place, too, my friend,” Master Quinnus said. “Come, walk with me. Tell me of your experience on Coruscant.”

We walked slowly together, talking, as the evening gathered. I could hear the laughter of some of the younger kids as they played in the nearby field. The wind rustled the silver-green leaves of the olivara trees, their branches heavy with early fruit. I told him everything: the chaotic life of the city, the work we did on the project, the way it felt to return to the temple after all these years. I told him of how I got the chance to retest, and how I lost it once again. We discussed Saleris, and how he seemed to really blossom with his second chance at becoming a knight. Then I told him of my Force distance projection and the subsequent meeting with the Jedi Council.

Master Quinnus raised his hand to his face and rubbed his chin. He stopped and turned to me. “I think you have the ability see what will be. Your experience troubles me. It can’t be ignored,” Master Quinnus said. “I’ve been uneasy myself lately. I’ve felt a strangeness, a sense of something being displaced.” He paused for a moment. “Kash,” he said, “I trust you. What do your feelings tell you? What do you sense?”

I stopped and thought. The sun came down through the leaves, warming my upturned face. I closed my eyes and reached out. My mind’s vision began to float upward and I could see the two of us in our dark green tunics and brown trousers with dark brown boots, standing amid the fragrant olivara trees, along the dirt pathway. I stretched my mind further and saw the farm, its fields upon fields of bright young plants, the mechanical buildings, the dormitories, the people busy with their chores. I felt the serenity of the farm, I felt the growing sense of adjustment of the newer initiates to their surroundings, I felt the curiosity of the Agricorp members toward the clone troopers.

I breathed in and I breathed out. I felt…

…something else.

Something dark. Something like a shadow; a dark, cold touch at the back of my neck. I knew this sensation; I had felt it before. My mouth went dry.

I frowned and looked at Master Quinnus. His montrails curled slowly and his frown creased the white markings above his dark eyes. “You sense it, don’t you.”

“What is it, Master?” I whispered.

“It’s danger. Imminent danger.” Master Quinnus spoke softly and low. “I don’t like this. When you go to Charij tomorrow, I want you to send a message to Master Yoda for me.”

[ENTRY 15: ERROR: INCOMPLETE COMMAND. RESTART RECORDER]

[ENTRY 15: ERROR: RECORDER UNRESPONSIVE. DEVICE DAMAGE DETECTED.]

[ENTRY 15: ERROR: RECORDER UNRESPONSIVE. DEVICE DAMAGE DETECTED.]

[PLEASE INITIATE RESTART. DEVICE DAMAGE DETECTED. AUTO SHUT OFF]

Anedon, Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  20. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    It looks like Kash got extremely lucky with his bag being left at the spaceport because of the tariff.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Salliche is such a serene and welcoming place and Quinnis a very nice person to confide in. Kash was able to share his concerns and experiences and have them be taken seriously. But :eek: it's like too little too late. [face_thinking] It's fortunate that his bag was left behind looks like.

Findswoman likes this.
  22. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Wow. I expected that the end of this story was near with that offhand mention of Obi-Wan being on his way to Utapau, but I didn't expect it to be quite that near – and these last two entries, where we see Kash's friendship with the clones grow, and then it all falls apart off-screen, is a real punch in the gut.

Kash was lucky (if there is any such thing as luck in a world governed by the will of the Force) many, many times in these last few chapters. He was lucky to fail his trials, he was lucky to be shipped back to Salliche in a rush and he was lucky that Bo left his bag behind in Charij. It's as if the stars aligned to enable him to survive Order 66 – and, in a way, Bo, who would be responsible for his death, is ultimately responsible for his survival, whereas Master Quinnus, who would normally have been tasked with guaranteeing his security, can do nothing to protect him. There are many layers of galactic irony here.

And now, the diary is damaged and gone, and Kash has left this last bit of his personal history behind him as he starts his new life in hiding with only memories of having ever been a member of the Jedi Order – which, in a sense, will make it easier for him to hide of course, but it also explains why he hung on to his lightsaber crystal for so long. Of all the things he lists as being in his bag, the crystal is the only element that had true value after the galaxy came upside-down – the only thing that he could keep as a reminder of who he was.

23. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, what looked like an annoying mistake had a very important purpose - it kept him away from the slaughter of the other Jedi.

Thank you for your comment! Just as Kash was becoming happy with his life on the farm; just as he accepted who he was and actually was calling Salliche his home...everything went wrong. I wondered what happened to those people who were Jedi but not warriors. They must have been lambs to the slaughter. Kash was out of town when Order 66 came down so he got away with his life, but he lost everything he had ever known.

Thank you for such a thoughtful reply! Yes, the attack was imminent. Even Master Quinnus knows something is up. It's a tragedy for everyone. The clones don't want to do this, the service order Jedi aren't capable of defending themselves. Everyone loses.

Every time something happens that seems like a disaster for him, it turns out that it is good fortune. If he had passed his trials, he would have been in the temple and he would have been killed for sure. If he had not been sent back to Salliche so quickly (of course, coincidentally with a bunch of clone troopers), he would have been in Coruscant and he would have been killed. If he hadn't had to make that unexpected trip to Charij, he would have been killed at the farm. But sometimes being the only survivor is the harder road to take.

Exactly. Everything has been taken from him. The crystal is the only thing that is left, a reminder of what he had and what he used to be.

Thank you to everyone who came by to read this DDC journal this year. It was fun exploring this character, and I hope you enjoyed it. [face_love]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Final replies? LOLNOPE. Just wait...juuuuust wait. :p

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Ohmigosh... what an absolutely incredible final entry in so many ways. It starts out in such an ordinary way, with Kash arriving back at his old stomping grounds, about to start a new chapter of his career, and there's Quinnus and there's Bo, and there's the sun shining through the leaves and the sound of children playing—and oops, look, he forgot his bag, but hey, he'll go pick it up tomorrow—and then, just for that briefest of moments, he feels the darkness and cold closing in, and tells Quinnus. And that is the very last thing that happens before everything comes to a halt with DEVICE DAMAGE DETECTED. It's the end of this diary in a very literal, very concrete way, and we readers know full well why. :eek: Not only that, but we never do know if he got the opportunity to send that message to Yoda.

So yes, echoing what others have said, it's very fortunate (!) that Kash forgot his bag. And, as @Chyntuck notes, it wasn't just that he forgot to pick it up, it's that Bo picked it up and moved it so that it got taken to Charij for processing along with the electronics equipment. So Bo, unwittingly, may have saved him—and that's huge, given that Bo, as a clone, is putatively one of the people who'd probably be tasked with killing him under Order 66! (A harrowing thought, given the friendship they've developed.) Of course, the other possibility is that Bo thought he was acting under Order 66 by depriving Kash of his bag, since after all it contained the closest thing Kash has means of defense—the crystal and parts for his lightsaber. We will never quite know for sure, and that's totally cool. :cool:

Absolutely amazing ending to a wonderful diary, madam. You've done great things with this character and his story—keep up the mighty fine work! =D=