main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cold Patrol premiere a blast

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by snoberts, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snoberts

snoberts Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2003
    The world premiere of Cold Patrol took place yesterday (20/5) in melbourne and I must say that I thought it was a great success. After 4 years of "blood, sweat and snow" the adventures of Lt. Cutter and Pvt. Buzzby are now a part of the fan film expanded universe.

At this point I would like to thank my wife Joanne for her support and help shooting the innumerable effects elements that went into CP, and for giving me the encouragement to keep going. I also thank H. Gibbens for all his effect work and putting up with all the stress of wrestling the film out of my computer onto a disc. So many friendships can be ruined by this kind of pressure but he put up with all my angst and gnashing of teeth with cool optimism and always had a plan B ready to put into action.

This whole project has been a collaborative effort between Steve Carroll and myself and he was always my first choice at Lt. Cutter. He is a true friend and from the first casual conversations we had about this project back in August 2002, he has poured in his great talent as an actor, craftsman and many times, co-director. Thanks.

There are so many members of the cast and crew that deserve thanks and I hope that some of you will respond to this posting to detail your role. I thank you all once again.

I will be submitting the finished film to theforce.net shortly and I hope it will be hosted soon after that so that you may all get a chance to see it.
    In the meantime "Keep your hands warm, and your feet dry"
    Peter Roberts

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Very cool - glad to hear it went well! :D

3. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    [face_dancing] Excellent! I have been waiting for this film for sooo long, it's good to know its ready. I hope it gets hosted, so all the hard work can be truly appreciated

=D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

4. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    Soooo looking forward to it! :)

5. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Congrates guys.

I was at the Premiere and I must say..."Cold Patrol Rocks"

Awesome effort and awesome results.

Good fun film that slots nicely into the Star Wars Universe.....can't wait for the DVD release. :)

You can always tell went the makers of a film have a real "feel" for the subject, and it's obvious with Cold Patrol that both Peter and Steve feel quite a lot. :)

Seriously...great film, GREAT costumes & Props, great story.....another Aussie Masterpiece.

6. Tech_Krill

Tech_Krill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    ...is this the one that's based on Hoth? I think I saw pictures at one point...

7. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    Hope it gets hosted so we can all enjoy it!

8. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Yep, here's a link to some production shots.

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Ah man I'm pumped. I never really thought this would ever get finished (no offence).
    But wow, can't wait to see it.
    Let us know when DVD's are available and send one out to Perth for me :)

10. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    Now that you guys are finished with Cold Patrol..how about a Desert Duel Special Edition with updated effects and a high res re-release? :p

11. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    How about we get a link to dload it? ;)
    Very keen on this film here.

12. snoberts

snoberts Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2003
    Thanks for your interest in Cold Patrol. We're in the process of crunching it into a format suitable for hosting on TFN so it won't be long now- I promise!
    Those of you planning to go to Canberra's Conflux convention next weekend will be treated to a screening as part of the film festival there. I'll be talking about this production as well as making fan films in general as part of saturday's agenda.

As for Desert Duel, You must remember that it was made in pre-digital camera days so the resolution was never as good as I'd hoped. I'll be looking at the original again soon in order to get it in DVD format and I may be able to submit a better version to TFN after that. I won't be changing any of the content (I do have a life) as I quite like it the way it is, cheezy monster and all. I think it was received by the public in the spirit in which it was made and wouldn't benefit greatly from updated effects.

Cold Patrol is a step up in production values but still has the same sense of fun. I had the opportunity to have all the vehicles done digitally but I have chosen to use miniatures and bluescreen because it gives the film more of an 80's feel and it took a lot of pressure off H. Gibbens, the digital artist who has helped me all through both Desert Duel and Cold Patrol.

As a matter of interest, I've used the soundtrack of King's Row in Cold Patrol. Some of you may know that this Korngold composition was used as a temp track for the Star Wars main title. I should also point out that we really did film it in the snow and it was #$(*&^ hard to do.
    I'm pretty sure that you won't be disappointed by Cold Patrol. I've seen it about 500 times now and I still like it.
    regards,
    Peter Roberts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.