main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Cold

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by fistofan1, Feb 11, 2012.

1. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    While I was watching Episode 1 in 3D, I noticed something toward the end that I never saw before. After Obi-Wan tells Anakin he will be trained as a Jedi, Anakin seems to mouth the word "cold". Whether this is a coincidence or a subtle detail I don't know, but if it's the latter then I am impressed. Since feeling cold is a theme relating to the dark side in Star Wars, this perfectly foreshadows what becomming a Jedi means for Anakin.

Here's the scene on YouTube, although it isn't quite as obvious as it was in HD on the big screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a65LE8k8Ww&feature=related It happens around the 1:23 mark.

Also, this thread isn't limited to talking about this one detail. Everyone else is free to document any subtle events in the Saga that they find interesting or significant.

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

On the journey from Tattooine to Naboo, I do recall Anakin complaining to Padme that he felt cold.

3. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    That's AMAZING fistofan!!! I was about to create the very same type of thread about ANOTHER subtle moment in Episode I.

In the scene where Anakin follows Padme and Jar Jar into the skylift, Qui-Gon tells the Chancellor Valorum, "I need to speak to the Jedi Council. The situation has become much more complicated" Anakin turns around and there's a bizarre musical cue. He seems perplexed that he isn't going with Qui-Gon.

Before, I just assumed he really had misgivings about leaving without his parental figure, but now I think he actually thinks Qui-Gon is telling the Chancellor about HIM. And he thinks he's come to Coruscant to become the greatest Jedi ever. He isn't your regular protagonist who has to overcome his doubts, he pretty much thinks he can do anything.

Another moment like this is when Anakin meets Obi-Wan, he goes "You're a Jedi too?" I'm not sure Anakin knows how many Jedi there are, he just knows he's "special."

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Luke associates cold with the dark side cave on Dagobah as well.

Says alot about Anakin and Luke's general mentalities that one feels "cold" just from being away from his mother, and the other only notices it when he's literally standing in front of a hallucinogenic evil tree.

5. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I know Anakin says he is cold two other times in the movie, I just thought it was interesting that a third one was possibly slipped in without being noticed for 13 years.

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Anakin feels "cold", the Gungans have Sith eyes, the Queen's ship relies on Darth Maul for power.

What's going on in TPM?

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Since the DVD version added a bit more to the scene, the symbolism of that scene, IMO, is Anakin being torn between the Jedi and Padme. Padme tells Anakin to come with her, Anakin looks back to Qui-Gon not sure who to go with, but Qui-Gon waves for him to go with Padme and Jar Jar.

Very much sets up and forshadows to conflict Anakin faces in the next movie between the Jedi and the woman he loves.