Before Colds (answer to the Qui-Gon mush challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jennifer_Lyn, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jennifer_Lyn Force Ghost

star 4
    Title: Colds
    Author(s): Jennifer_Lyn
    Timeframe: Pre-TPM, of course
    Characters: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan
    Genre: Mush
    Summary: Our two brave Jedi are laid low by the common cold.
    Notes: I was in a mush drought and then I caught a cold. Write what you know! Not my best work, by far, but what do you expect from a virus-addled brain?
    Disclaimer: Hi Uncle George! This is not the author you're looking for, move along!

Coughing sounds came through the open door. Morning light brightened the bedroom as Qui-Gon rolled over, catching the rasping sound out of the corner of his hazy mind. Obi-Wan was sick. The teenager had not looked well the night before and now Qui-Gon?s fears had come to fruition. Throwing back the covers, he sat up quickly, but froze when the room began to spin.

?Oh, no.? he groaned, unable to help uttering the words aloud.

?I?m sorry, Master,? a hoarse, young voice came through the door. Obi-Wan poked his head in. ?Did I wake you??

?Not at all, young one.? Qui-Gon grimaced. He could feel it now that sleep had cleared from his mind. His throat felt raw and his sinuses pushed against his eye sockets, making his vision cloudy. As if on cue, a stream of coughs racked his large form. ?It would seem we are in the same gravsled.?

?I just commed the Healers, Master. I?ll contact them again and have them send double doses of whatever they?ve got.? Obi-Wan disappeared from the room, coughs punctuating his departure.

Qui-Gon stood to dress himself. He had gotten his sleep pants off when the weariness of the chore took hold of him and he plopped back down on the bed. He sat for a moment, contemplating his options.

?Not much choice, really.? He thought.

Gathering the strength of the Force around him in order to accomplish the small goal, he went to the dresser, pulled out fresh sleep pants, a clean tunic and donned them as best he could once he resumed his sitting position on the bed. A loud crash from the outer rooms jarred him from the stupor he fell into after dressing.

?Obi-Wan, are you alright?? he called out and then wheezed for a moment, the exertion leaving his congested lungs struggling for a moment.

?Yes, Master.? Came an equally wheezy reply. ?Just dropped ? tea kettle.?

With a sigh, Qui-Gon stood and, grabbing a robe from his small closet, shuffled into the common room.

?Can I help, Padawan?? he spoke softly, leaning on the counter that separated the kitchen area from the larger living space.

?I think I?ve got the kettle under control now, Master.? Obi-Wan?s cloudy eyes met the large Jedi?s. The usually cool, clear gaze was bloodshot and red-rimmed. ?Could you get the mugs?? he asked quietly, looking to the high shelf where the cups were kept.

Qui-Gon simply nodded and slowly moved to the shelf. ?Breakfast, Padawan?? he questioned.

?Not hungry. How about you?? the young man answered.

?No, me either.? He sighed, his shoulders slumping as they worked together to pour the tea.

Three standard minutes crawled by as they waited for the tea to brew. When finally it was done, they made their way, leaning on each other, to the couch. Having just settled in, they looked questioningly at each other when a chime came from the door. Obi-Wan smirked as he watched his Master use the Force to open the door.

?Don?t look at me like that, Padawan. I would not call that a trivial use of the Force.? He glared at his young charge. ?Unless you would prefer to get up and let our visitor in??

At the teasing admonishment, Obi-Wan sunk himself further into the couch, eyes widened as he shook his head. A med droid came into the room, pushing a cart. It was followed by two more droids with a couch. After moving the two chairs that usually resided along one wall, the droids placed the couch in their place and left the apartment.

?I don?t understand,? Qui-Gon questioned the med droid. ?We do not need a second couch.?

The tinny voice of the droid answered succinctly, ?The Healers suggested that you and your Padawan would
  2. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, I loved this! [face_love]

*sigh* Such great mush. I loved Qui's reflections as he watched Obi sleep. Through all of those tough and trying missions he had somehow managed to raise a fine young Jedi, a good man and a son of his heart. [face_love] Just beautiful!

And those vids from their missions was a great idea, how sweet of Qui to have collected them over the years.

Thanks for sharing this, Jennifer Lyn! I hope you're feeling better now! I can certainly sympathize, because I have a cold now too! At least I don't feel as bad as Obi and Qui did. Stupid changing weather... *grumble grumble* [face_frustrated]

@};- @};-
  3. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    Awwwwww JL, that was so cute!

After a really bad day, a little mush was just what I needed to cheer me up :) [:D]
  4. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    That was so cool, JL! I can imagine Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan watching old home vids, as it were.

And poor guys! Having a cold stinks, that it does.

Thanks for the link!
  5. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Awe that is just adorable! I loved it!
  6. Katieelessar Jedi Knight

star 2
    That was too cute to be legal, Jennifer. :p
    I feel for Obi and Qui, I know what they're going through.
    Grrr, blasted fall colds and allergies. Will they never go away?
    Such a sweet tale, it made me feel loads better, thanks!:)
  7. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Wonderful, sweet Qui-Gon mush! [face_love]

I loved it! =D=
  8. Stella_Ripple Jedi Knight

star 3
    Aww! That was soo cute! You painted such a simple, but effective, picture. I can just see the two of them going through that. And its so typical- exactly how you feel when you've got an irksome cold- groggy movement, stuffy heads and all.
  9. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Superb mush Jennifer. That will leave me smiling for days! Love how qui-Gon had taken holos of through the various mssions.
  10. Star_Drifter Jedi Knight

star 3
    Morning would bring better health and their routine would return to its normal rate of chaos, but as he fell asleep, his hand gently resting on Obi-Wan?s head, he took comfort in the quiet the day had brought them and the joy and pride that filled his heart.

What lovely mush! [:D]

I hope that you are feeling better now, too, JL! @};-

11. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Awww...that was very sweet.

I liked how Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon helped each other through thier colds.

Well done,

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  12. LilQui-Gon Jedi Knight

star 2
    Having just settled in, they looked questioningly at each other when a chime came from the door. Obi-Wan smirked as he watched his Master use the Force to open the door.

?Don?t look at me like that, Padawan. I would not call that a trivial use of the Force.?

[face_laugh] I know how he feels. Nice job on this. =D= [:D] [face_love]
  13. Kestrel_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah, so sweet...I love mushy Qui-Obi fic.

Thanks Master...hope you're feeling better now?

Have a [:D]
  14. maychorian Jedi Master

star 4
    Aw, very sweet ficcie. I love mushy Qui-Gon. Poor Jedi with nasty colds. [:D] Juice is good.
  15. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4

It is just amazing that these two can only be themselves and
    be a loving son father team when they are sick.

Well it seems that way in most Obi and Qui stories anyway.

It was such a wonderfully mushy story
    Sitting suffering on the couch together=D=
  16. obi-wanfan123 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ahh...

Obi and Qui-Gon both down with colds, yet still having a nice time on the couch, watching holo-vids.
  17. Jennifer_Lyn Force Ghost

star 4
    Humble thanks to all of you for taking the time to read this!

Bastet: So glad you liked it! I?ve actually used the vid idea in another fic. Works for me because I think Qui was a big softy inside.

Layren: I?m glad to serve your mush needs!

RK_Striker_JK_5: You?re welcome and thanks for reading!

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi: Yippee! Glad you liked it!

Katieelessar: Too cute to be legal? No wonder my Evil Master?s been looking at me funny. Glad it could brighten your day!

VaderLVR64: Thank you, ol? Master or mine!

Stella_Ripple: Well, in this case, art is imitating life, so the picture wasn?t too difficult to paint! Thanks Padawan!

Healer_Leona: Thanks Leona! Smiles for days? That definitely brightens my mood!

Star_Drifter: Thanks for reading! Isn?t it great when the mushiest passages write themselves?
    KELIA: Thank you very much!

LilQui-Gon: That passage came from a deep seated desire to not move a muscle myself! Thanks for reading!

Kestrel_Kenobi: Thanks Padawan, if only I had the assurance Qui and Obi had that I would feel better in the morning!

maychorian: Juice is good! Thanks for reading!

Gkilkenny: How true! They just mush right up when ill, it?s amazing! Thanks for reading!

obi-wanfan123: If only we could all treat a cold the same way, right? Thanks for reading!
  18. obi_webb Force Ghost

star 4
    great mush from you again!=D= i loved qui gon's "trivial" use of the force to open the door.... poor fellow was just to weak to get up!
    THOSE BLASTED COLDS WILL DO THAT TO YOU!
    hope yours gets better soon Jennifer Lyn!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.