main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    The female character in JW (forgot her name) is career minded. That was the plot. Maybe they bring her back in a future movie and he is more of a family person. As said before, these movies are one-dimensional. We now cant portray a woman as career minded and cold and distant?? My god...I guess they should revert back to housewives who serve there men dinner without shoes.

This is ridiculous. I'm out.

2. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Mark's comments are simply supporting a friend and future co-worker. We'll never know what he truly thinks of the movie.

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I watched SNG and JW and his short, so all his work exept BOH, which is not running in Germany. I did not see any woman who is intelligent, warm, sharp-mouthed, not looking up in 'ahhh' to the macho guy next to her etc. In summary not one single modern female character. So how can he write Rey's character different than again like all his other one dimensional and mainly submissive female characters? [face_dunno]

4. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    You've completely twisted it. Trevorrow portrays Clare's choices as being bad. She is bad for choosing a career instead of marrying and raising kids. That's his portrayal, and I disagree with it. The same goes for his short. According to Colin, the women is the cause of all relationship issues because she was cold and distant. This is a way that Colin chooses to portray his female characters, and he treat them as bad people for it.

Again, the point is that women should not have to "revert back to housewives who serve there men dinner without shoes," but Colin treats Clare as flawed for having chosen a career over that option. That's his worldview.

5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016

You completely missed the point. The criticism is that the implication was that career-minded women are cold, heartless people who despise children, and that only by accepting motherhood as a core role, can they be redeemed. It's an entirely valid criticism of that character.

When you then put that characterization in the context of all of Trevorrow's output, it's clear that there's an inherent sexism in his approach. I think it's intentional, but there are some who believe it's unintentional, and that Trevorrow simply doesn't know how to deconstruct gender stereotypes. So he's either a sexist, or incompetent. Either of those qualities should disqualify him from directing Episode IX.

Seriously, though, don't take my word for it. Go watch Book of Henry.

6. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    You are completely misinterpreting the movie. This is a blockbuster film. They are trying to develop a one-dimensional romance between 2 people who are completely closed off to relationships. CT and the writers chose to show Clare realize she is missing out on family and having a solid relationship with someone. Thats it. There is no commentary on how she is bad for choosing a career and women should never choose that.

They want that romantic tension between the male and female stars. Its that simple.

7. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    I'm disgusted by Trevorrow's characters. I'm disgusted by what he thinks is funny and what he thinks is normal. His worldview as presented by his total filmography is not something I want to see spread to Star Wars.

If you want to blithely accept it, that's your affair. I'm not shutting up about this.

8. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Watch BOH and you will see, quite starkly, that Trevorrow has not "improved" from his past. AND that he has absolutely no idea about children or females. Watching that movie you have to wonder if CT has ever even met a child, or a woman. It's beyond the pale, horrible stuff. And I say that as someone who wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. I did that by actually watching the film. And it confirmed for me that Trevorrow is either a dyed-in-the-wool sexist, or someone who repeatedly, accidentally produces sexist caricatures in all his films.

9. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    I guess we're not supposed to find it extraordinarily telling that the only way Trevorrow knows how to create "romantic tension between the male and female stars" is for the woman to be lectured by the dudebro lead about how she's just not attentive enough to his needs.

10. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well apparently the Book of Henry isn't being shown in Swedish theaters (atleast not in my area) so I can't judge the Book of Henry for what it is until it releases on DVD.

but going by these reviews maybe I should consider myself lucky ?:p

11. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    May be. But he also portrays men as dumb, single minded and stubborn. Colin only knows how to create one-dimensional characters.

As I said, I don't like him, exactly because of that. He is a bad director, cannot create compelling characters.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  12. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    One of the most well-rounded women I know is a single woman working extraordinarily hard to advance in her career. She's funny, smart, compassionate, giving of her time. She's one of the best people I know.

The idea that if she were inserted into a Colin Trevorrow film she'd find herself lectured by Owen Grady - or the next iteration of his character - about how she needs to "fix" herself to make herself more appealing to others, to him, makes me want to vomit.

13. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    ooooookkkkkk, that could be the real problem. [face_plain][face_plain][face_plain]

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    To be fair JW had a scene poking fun at male entitlement when that dude in the control room thinks he's "earned" a relationship with his coworker only to be abruptly shut down.

15. DarthTalgus

Sep 3, 2012
    Regardless of the quality of the movie, I can't be the only one excited for Red Letter Media's inevitable Half in the Bag BOH episode right ? [face_laugh]

16. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    the terrible thing is that it is not a funny banter between a strong male and a strong female character which can be a lot of fun. The female just endures to be lectured by the male how to make herself attractive to him. This concerns me a lot and where it may go.....[face_plain]

17. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    But this was just a point in her character arc, do you agree? It is not like she gets told what to do for the whole movie.

If you ready the summary, it is filled with "Claire tells them to do this".. then "Claire sends them to do that"... she is clearly the boss, but she is out of her element in the jungle. That's what I think.

18. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    You really need to see BoH, because there's nothing good-hearted or appealing to children in it. The whimsy in the film is perhaps the complete opposite of ROTJ. It's insufferably smarmy and belittling. There's no wonder and no innocence in it. If anything, it eviscerates common concepts of childhood and presents what it clearly believes to be a superior form of child - an adult child who plays the role of a traditional husband. His comment about Star Wars speaking to children is fine as a comment. But Trevorrow isn't capable of doing that in his films. It's clear that he either has no idea about children, or is actively tearing down childhood wonder and whimsy. Watch the film and I guarantee you will not want this man anywhere near Star Wars (or any children). He's the worst person I can imagine directing a Star Wars film. The worst.

There's absolutely nothing "fun" about Book of Henry. Also, one of the horrible things about the film, apart from the sexism, is its nauseating and constant attempts at hip, smarmy dialogue. It's very much the opposite of the fun-loving earnestness of the Star Wars saga. Watch the film and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Steele Wars lives show starts in 30 minutes so if anyone wants to make a call in and voice concerns now is the time.

20. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    The important question is, "Did BoH stick to practical effects?". ;-)

21. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    That and supporting Jacob T., the little boy in the film. Doubt he'd say anything negative about the film, having given that boy a thrill of a lifetime, meeting him.

22. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

They filmed in a real house! :eek:

23. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    You win the thread.

24. DarthTalgus

Sep 3, 2012
    Is it okay to post BOH spoilers ? Because I got a question

Is the spoiler about a woman kissing a kid on the lips legit ? That's just... ew :oops::(
    Why would they film a scene like this ? That's just wrong

25. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    The extraordinary lengths some people can go to in justifying, explaining away, or apologizing for sexism, is...extraordinary. Trevorrow's work is consistently sexist. That's undeniable. The only debate should be about how deliberate this is. I suppose it's possible this guy is simply clueless about the implications of his work, or incompetent at making critical commentary about gender stereotypes. But I don't buy it. I think he may simply have a psychological fear of independent women, and that truth comes through in his art. People can accept that he's just an artist presenting his own truth, but I don't have to accept that this is the guy who's going to complete Rey's arc.

Yes. It was also done in secret, when the mother left the room. The idea is that the director was presenting this child who is more adult than child, and that in his "quirky" sensibility, that meant a grown woman kissing him like that was appropriate. It's a ****show of a movie and I think people here should watch it just to fully appreciate why he needs to lose his job as director of Episode IX.

EHT, nightangel, Jedi Jessy and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.