main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    No, it's was making dollars not following.

Hence 6 movies in 28 years.

Now it's about following the dollars hence at least 6 movies in the next 6 years.

DV75, Dak Oolron, ezekiel22x and 2 others like this.
  2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    David Koep wrote the script for JP The same David Koep who wrote the script for Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this one my friend and I loved Crystal Skull as much if not more then Temple Of Doom but Koep is not a great writer.....

basically the same theme that was in JP Is In JW a really great idea is sometimes the worst idea in the world In reality, so how bad was the story written really? the kids seemed really realistic which we have not seen in a JP film yet, you had the teenager who is awkward, with his mind always on the girls and the little brother who is a brainiac. I don't know, I could seriously relate to the kids from when I was a Kid!

3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Ah, but on KotCS Koepp did not have a veteran writer like Crichton helping him. ;)
    Eh, that's not Trevorrow's style. He may not include the same themes, but when it comes to tributes to the previous films he'll go all out. Spielberg actually had to tell Trevorrow to quit it with the throw back references, because he was putting so many in JW.
    And yet, from everything we've seen of the movie, it' going to have that rugged OT feeling.

And not to get into an off tangent debate, but the film's only major themes were the "bigger is better" corporatism and the greed ones, the latter of which was touched on a bit less. There was certainly no animal cruelty themes in there, though if you stretch your imagination you could put some in there yourself, however the theme was not in the film itself. The film also barely touched on the franchises core themes: inherent dangers of abusing science, as well as the Man VS Nature theme. The former was played out more as a spoof of itself, and the latter was played out only in the climax. Neither themes were nearly as prominent as they were in the first two films (the second practically beats you over the head with it's Man VS Nature theme).

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  4. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    no but Frank Darabont started the writing process and wrote the first draft.

5. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    One of the best writers out there, actually. A shame he didn't get to finish. KotCS likely would have been much better had he assisted Koepp.

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Dinos4Ever

The whole point of the Indominus Rex being raised in captivity was about animal cruelty in particular what happens when you raised animals against nature. Also the need for "bigger, bigger attractions" was all about how the movie industry just continues to think that more explosions, more CGI, more violence equals a better movie. And the entire second half of the movie was about man vs nature particularly with Hoskins intentions for the dinosaurs. And I did not even mention what was laid out in the end with the whole open vs closed platform when it comes to the "dinosaur technology".

If you missed all that, then I got nothing therefore I am moving on.

7. CT1138

Sep 4, 2013
    I took the Indominus in captivity more as a part of the corporate greed moral, not as animal cruelty. And Hoskin's plans with the dinosaurs was hardly a part of Man VS Nature. It was closer to a using animals for war moral than Man VS Nature. The open ending also alluded to a animals for war moral. It wasn't an example of the theme itself so much as an allusion to it's possibility.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  8. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Seems like Trevorrows writer have other duties at the moment - more creature feature for him.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jurassic-world-writer-heads-kong-816144

As i understand, RJ will probably write a treatment for Episode IX, but it is not really confimed is it? Then of course, CT does not excatly have a clean slate for his film, he is given what he is given, but from KKs comments, i seems the trilogy directors have a lot of freedom to develope along the way. So we are looking for a sciptwriter who will come in and co write the actual Episode IX script then with Trevorrow. If not he write the whole thing himself - only, he will write / co write and produce the JW sequel, and he is in pre production with Book of Henry now. Will be tight for him. If i were him, i would need some assistance!

9. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Those raptor sequences in the jungle were outstanding, especially when they were running to and from the screen.

DaddlerTheDalek and Dinos4Ever like this.
  10. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    he not only wrote but he directed the Shawshank Redemtion, the Green Mile, and the Mist and I really liked all three but especially Shawshank and Green Mile and although he did not finish the script for KOTCS you can clearly see what of Darabont's made it in to the final script.

11. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    Agree with this. He is showing control and confidence with those scenes, well executed action, not messy, pretty classy and with balanced editing to create the righ amount of suspense. Think John Schwartzman is a very experienced cinematographer, although he did Dracula Untold recently...uhm, it would be interesting with hiring someone who could add someting else to the visual palette. Some of the great European DOPs, or how about this guy:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005893/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr8

Howard Hand and TK327 like this.
  12. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Yeah, they should get a really classy cinematographer for this one. One of my few qualms about the TFA crew is that J.J Abrams retained his DP rather than going for the absolute best.

13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    KotCS biggest problem isn't it's writing. It's the directing. Spielberg was at his worst here. Scenes that should have been suspenseful end up just happening. Take the entire jungle car chase for example. The shot of the tree sliver blade coming towards the car was used in almost every ad, cutting away right before Indy and crew get hit. What happens in the film? Nothing. They duck and that's it. It's not even a close call. They duck, the windshield is broken, they keep driving.

It's like that in many scenes. There's just no sense of tension oftentimes. It all feels very lazy, but it's not the actors performances that give that feeling. Honestly, Harrison was great in KotCS.

14. Othini

Dec 6, 2012
    Right so. I studied in Eastern Europe and know how talented some of those cinematographers from this area can be. Also have met Anthony Dot Mantle ( Danny Boyle ) and Hoyte van Hoytema ( Inception, Spectre), because they both have strong connections to Scandinavia, and DOPs like that could have strong influence on the end result, of course. I guess we both agree that Mr Williams need`s to come back for the music. And there is of course a connection to Trevorrow now:)

15. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    When should we open an Episode 8 & 9 forum?

B99 and Othini like this.
  16. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not too sure about that... although KK is clearly not a lightweight. I'm not sure she is equipped to know when/where a writer is going in the "wrong direction", because I think the direction is probably quite fluid and nebulas now.

17. NostalgiaFan

NostalgiaFan Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2015
    You must have some pretty low standards or are easily offended if you think I am "getting worked up". You replied with nothing but a reaction piece to my points, therefore you have done nothing to discredit them, it's that simple. Opinions by themselves means nothing in an argument, and all you seem to have, are your opinions. I have been doing plenty of things elsewhere both here and online so quit acting like I am obsessing over this especially since you have more posts then me in this thread.

18. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    Oh, the situation is certainly about following the dollar. But what constitutes a great movie is IMO highly subjective. For me, of the Marvel movies, the first Iron Man movie , the first Avengers movie, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy were, aside from a few minor quibbles, great movies. Not a bad average. I thoroughly enjoyed watching those movies, and left the theater feeling that the money I'd spent on the tickets was money well spent. If a movie I enjoyed is later deemed sublime by critics and becomes a classic, so much the better, but it's certainly not one of my concerns.

Also, where would-be blockbuster movies with budgets of 100+ million are concerned, what viable operating model is there other than maximum commercialization? I certainly can't imagine any studio head declaring "We're going to spend over a hundred million dollars on a movie in the hope of creating an enduring classic rather than a financially profitable work."

19. skywalkereu421

skywalkereu421 Jedi Padawan

Aug 19, 2015
    Not thrilled with this decision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

B99 likes this.
  20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    As you say, it's all subjective. I personally wouldn't call any of those Marvel films "great" like I would A New Hope, Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET, The Godfather, Alien, Bladerunner etc. etc. (although I can understand that some may prefer the Marvel films). And, like I say, it's not as though mainstream cinema hasn't been interested in making money... But for me, the difference is that Hollywood cinema (much like the music industry) has become so homogonised, in the 21st century, that the best films/content (IMHO) are being made outside of that system... I believe there was a better balance 20/30 years ago. Obviously one of the ironies is that Star Wars, in part, can be blamed for that amount of investment going into action/event films and sequels.

Artoo-Dion and TK327 like this.
  21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    That's because the movie executives who want to emulate it mainly want to do so (almost exclusively really) from the financial aspect as opposed to the emulating the film-making aspect and letting the money flow out of that.

Of course these companies (like Disney now) want a "franchise" with ongoing movies each and every year.

22. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    No friend you are the one getting worked up the first thing you said to me in this thread included swearing which alone shows that you are worked up even though I wasn't even directly talking to you. I then explain I wasn't directly talking to you and I explained my thinking and opinion on the subject. You then go on and state your opinion like its fact and then later on tell me that my opinions by themselves mean nothing in an argument well then same goes for you. You know this might come as a shock to you but film is art its all subject to opinion and nobody is right or wrong about it. So when you say things like he hasn't proven he can direct a summer blockbuster or that the movie had bad cgi in it thats just an opinion that you and many others believe and many disagree with. So yeah I follow up with a meme to try to lighten the mood remind you we are all film and Star Wars fans and that we should just agree to disagree and see what happens because I know that no matter what I say you won't agree and I know that no matter what you say I'm not going to agree so I tried to end the conversation on a good note and relieve tension. But then you go ahead and say that the meme is in favor of your argument completely missing the point I was trying to make. You then go onto say that I am acting like you are obsessed when really all I am is annoyed at the childish behavior you have been showing me over these last few days. Its rude and unnecessary and all I have done is try to be polite as I have always tried to be on this forum since I joined even if I don't agree with someones opinions. I'm not going to argue with you anymore I'm sorry that you don't think Trevorrow is a good fit like I said before will just have to wait and see. Sorry if this comment went off the rails a bit and got personal everybody it won't happen again but I felt like I had to address this because all I want is to be able to express my opinion and read everyone else's opinions without someone getting nasty with me.

23. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Doesnt anyone wonder why JJ isnt returning? for a while there were rumours he would, i would think if the force awakens kills it surely they would want him to return...im just baffled as to why they have locked trevorrow in so early. Is this news so soon as to tie in with jurassic worlds success? like hey you know the movie that set records, well that guys directing our movie too!
    Im in no doubt that the huge positive reactions to what we have seen of the force awakens is mostly down to JJ's vision and style, im not too worried about Rian as he has his own thing going on which has received great critical reception and i enjoyed looper it had an edge a style to it. I just dont see this with trevorrow.

I really do not understand this decision and why it has been announced so soon.

24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Really?

25. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Yes. once i get a bee in my bonnet im stubborn like that, i dont like the guy or his work and the decision stinks of disney chasing the dollar, there are far more talented deserving directors that could have got the job.
    You can tell from JJ and Rians work that they have that special something, Jurassic world was pretty poor on more than a few levels.

NostalgiaFan and B99 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.