main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah, no I am using some basic logic. If I didnt enjoy his writing on JW and I am hardly alone in thinking the writing was subpar why the hell would I want him to write Star Wars? U on the other hand dont think JW was anything to write home about but have Faith his Star Wars would be good.

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    He's writing??? :oops:
    I'm not hopping on the "this is gonna suck
    train." But still....

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Hopefully that notebook is just full of Kasdan and Johnson notes. He shouldn't be writing Episode 9…

dan1210 and Sgt. Carver like this.
  4. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Can`t they bring back Arndt?

my kind of scum likes this.
  5. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    No way this was ever going to be a "point and shoot" job. He's going to have some input on IX, one of the many reasons a lot of us feared this selection. Just hoping its not to the detriment of the trilogy.

dan1210 and Skaddix like this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I honestly don't mind if he writes the script. I really liked JW and had no problem whatsoever with the writing.

7. -Redacted-

-Redacted- Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2013
    I think its a bit premature to be jumping on the "its gonna suck" train.. considering the move is close to 4 years away.

TheBBP and turnip white like this.
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    that never stopped anybody.

TheBBP likes this.
  9. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    I said episode ix was going to suck in 1977

10. Sgt. Carver

Jul 27, 2015
    Or the "its gonna be great train" for that matter.

11. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    JW was terrible, but it was studio terrible. Micromanaged to death by bean-counters. Only real bad thing about the numbers is that it means we'll have to deal with two more movies just like it.

Well, someone will. Not me.

12. Mr_Thompson

Mr_Thompson Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    I'm trying really hard not to be negative about this choice, but as soon as I heard my enthusiasm for IX did take a noticeable blow..

Some people are going a bit far with their doomsaying, but with that being said people are still allowed have their concerns. I really do envy the people who are happy with this news though.

13. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    Travorro is not writing the script he is just directing. I am sure that moleskin is just for notes. Then again, as a director he could always make changes in dialogue as he sees fit, I would assume.

14. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    "Hey your movie made a bazillion dollars on opening weekend? Here goes the keys to the kingdom despite the fact that we aren't really certain as to why Jurassic world was a huge success!"

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Pretty Much, Its not a movie you point to and say wow the director and writing carried that film

16. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    I am not worried about Trevorrow's writing. All the idiocy, script-wise, came from a place of where the story was picking up from 20 years later. And that will already be laid out for him. I am worried about Trevorrow's subpar directing and uncreativity of Jurassic World.

17. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I have a hard time worrying about a movie, period. I love Star Wars, but it is a work of fiction born of and inspired by serials with campy plots and campy dialogue. Some of you act like it should be some monument to cinema when Star Wars at it's core and as people loved it was nothing more than a awesomely-fun adventure film. Some of it is very good for what it is, but none of it is fine cinema and it never will be.

18. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Hopefully it will bring the best out of him. He;s a HUGE Star Wars fan.

19. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    I wish i could do gifs, but if i could it would be vader, NOOOOOOOO!

20. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    If Irvin Kershner hadn't directed Empire Strikes back and had been in the frame to direct a Star Wars film in the Internet age, I wonder how bad the meltdown would have been?

For me, Safety Not Guaranteed was great, inventive and had heart. Jurassic World, while flawed, was fun. There is an overall broad story in place already, and each film will have a director making it who has one shot at making the best Star Wars possible. This is a generation of filmmakers who got into film making pretty much because they wanted to make Star Wars, or something like Star Wars.
    I'm sure that as it moves into production there'll be things about it we like, and things we don't like, and things that some people worry about far too much because they don't trust the director. But overall, I'm just enjoying the ride.
    And you only have to look at the Josh Trank thing to see that tough decisions will be made by both Lucasfilm, and maybe filmmakers, when it starts to look like a film won't work.

Overall, I don't buy this thing that Disney is only interested in money - they'll be more aware than anyone that the secret to making Star Wars an ongoing success is quality control, and that making good films goes hand in hand with making lots of money.

21. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I believe that is in itself a paradox. I don't think any real artistic/cinematic quality comes from the factory process of churning out more of the same... which doesn't mean that they can't produce something of high quality along the way, but I think that's going to be by exception rather than the rule within this particular model.

22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    we'll have to see - its definitely a fork in the road, and Disney can either view Star Wars as a rich universe ripe for exploration, in all its far flung places, and throughout its long history, or it can see Star Wars as films where the goodies blow up something bad that the baddies have. I'm optimistic

23. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I wonder if Brad Bird would have been chosen instead if Tomorrowland hadn't flopped?

24. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Possibly. I definitely think that they wanted to have a "Brad Bird-esque" finale for the series, seeing as how Bird recommended Trevorrow as being a very similar director to himself all the way back in 2012 for VII.

However Tomorrowland's performance in the box office definitely torpedoed any chance of him actually directing IX himself.

25. Sgt. Carver

Jul 27, 2015
    I haven't seen anyone on here doing this. Sounds like you're reducing these types of movies to "turn your brain off" in order to validate Trevorrow's storytelling weaknesses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.