main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Here's something cool. In just several weeks we might be able to say Episode IX will start filming next year.

TFA ended principal photography about 15 months before TFA's release. By that pattern, we could see late late 2017 as the start date for principal photog.

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think it was still episode 4. I could be mistaken though, but I don't think I am :D

3. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

If there is another trilogy, I'll bet its a prequel trilogy about the beginning of the Sith and prophesies.

4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    "Star Wars" was episode 1 of a 12 episode series called "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker". That idea didn't last long, however.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Do you have somewhere I could read more about it? I'm curious :D

6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    well in a way one can argue that it's still the Adventures of Luke Skywalker as the Saga kinda revolves around him, the PT was the story of his father and the similarities between such as mirroring/rhyming is because of Luke then the OT was Luke's story and now the ST it's about Luke's heir (and potential daughter). One can also argue it's all about Anakin/Vader or both since in the ST you get Vader's heir/legacy vs Luke's legacy.:p

nightangel and Darkslayer like this.
  7. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I believe TIME magazine did an interview w/George Lucas back in the late 70s/early 80s about his overall plans for the saga.

See if you can google it.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  8. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    IIRC, I first read it in Skywalking. The timeline seems to be that Lucas announced 12 episodes when Brackett was finishing her ESB draft; once he started reworking the story, he settled on Vader being Luke's father, and that triggered the thought of three prequels, moving ANH to episode IV and inspiring a "trilogy of trilogies" framework.

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    In all fairness, I have actually heard many good things about Safety Not Guaranteed. Maybe this will turn out well after all...

Satipo likes this.
  10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Nah. Fans might be interested, but the crowds will want more Rey and Finn. I think that is an easy bet.

And it doesn't matter what George said 20 years ago. He changed his mind enough that nothing is set in stone. It's just ideas he had at that moment.

It'll be the Further Adventures of Rey Skywalker for 10, 11, 12. I'd put money on it.

11. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I re-watched Jurassic World recently and many parts of it were truly awful (most notably the Dr. Wu speech towards the middle). The entirety of the film is overly bright and candy colored, killing any potential atmosphere or dread.
    But still, Joss Whedon isn't helming and that's something to be thankful for.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Moved thread to Episodes VIII & IX forum

13. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I remain incredibly nervous about Trevorrow's Episode IX. And though I mean no disrespect to him, I secretly (and now openly) hope that between now and next year, the project goes to a different director.

14. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I understand your fears as jurassic world was average at best. his previous film was better, maybe it was only a misstep? his next film book of henry is coming out this year, i suppose that's when we'll find out.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    trevorrow had a hand in jw but it didn't suck because of him. he did what he could with what at least 4 other scripts combined.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  16. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    Agree and you might be correct. I thought he was so promising on safety not guaranted. Some aspects of JW weren't that bad actually, some others on the other hand hmm...That's why i want to give him another "chance". His next film might be a better taste of what the man's capable of.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  17. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    To me it is simply that I did not understood him being chosen as director for a SW movie. Not going to say he is a bad director, but when I see JW (which I have seen three times now) I fail to see the key success points of any good movie: good cast and good story. Yeah, the movie performed very well in terms of $, but I think that is the only thing the movie does well (plus an absolutely fantastic OST).

This leads me to believe Lucasfilm chose him just based on the commercial success of JW, which is not a good thing to do IMO. Heck, they are even using the same writing team for IX than for JW.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Well, if the reddit rumour is right and Luke is staying the whole movie on Ach To they should have hired M. Night Shyamalan
    If you like their movies or not but when watching films from directors like JJ Abrams, G. Verbinski, S. Spielberg and even George Lucas those films have something special when it comes to details..
    E.g. Rey does not walk to the speeder - she slides down a dune
    or in Pirates of the carribean when they sail to bring back the soul of Sparrow and see all the boats of the lost souls having orlando bloom standing on the railing and calypso passing behind him vaguely - stopping / looking at him - then moving out of the scene
    this kind of details is great art. When it comes to Trevorrow I cannot see this in JW

19. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    R
    Did you see his previous film? a very good little indie film. And he was considered for star wars before JW hit the screen. I guess it just convinced disney and lucasfilm a little more. Also JW was in development hell for ages and trevorrow and his scritwriting amigo had to combine several drafts written by other people. I think we should at least wait till we see book of henry before writing him off. Maybe it'll be a disappointment again but who knows...maybe he managed to make JW a decent movie out of a initially doomed project? of course it could have been way better...

BrehaSolo, loststars and Darth Smurf like this.
  20. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016

Lets also remember that Rian Johnson wrote the story treatment for Episode IX. Also I really enjoyed Jurassic World. I thought it did a great job of grounding the crazy part of the story with the more human parts which was the important part to me. There's only so much you can do on a huge budget movie like that where so many people have already touched it. It's not KK or Disney are going to let him do anything they wouldn't be okay with.

21. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    My take on all this (Keep in mind that English is not my native tongue).

JJ was one of the safest bet for Episode 7.

Safe is key here.

It meant that JJ (with Kasdan embodying the last-minute added extra-chocolate ice on the most decadent cake one could make) would bring SW back.

JJ = No ambiguities. Episode 7 was to deliver 120 minutes + of Star Wars, all the things that people love about the saga.

Do I think that KK officially asked JJ to deliver the safest SW movie possible ? I would not say that. But one has to assume that when they choose JJ as the director, they knew what he could deliver. He was not about to transform himself into the next Stanley Kubrick.

TFA was never meant to be the next ESB or ROTS. Money was on the table. Big money. The future of a very important franchise was on the line. Episode 7 needed to be a critical darling and a champ at the box-office.

Episode 7 was never meant to feel like an anomaly in the overall saga. It needed to feel, smell and taste like SW.

Did Disney won his bet ? I think that TFA is a really great SW movie. TFA is usually ranked as the 3-4 best SW movie ever for most people. It also did good business at the box-office.

But for those who have waited more than 30 years for the sequel of ROTJ, TFA was a necessary evil.

I don't think that, from Disney point of view, Episode 7 was supposed to reinvent the wheel.

Episode 7 as a risky option ? Never !

That's why they did not go with Ardnt. That's why Lucas treatments were not used (maybe they were as risky as TPM was and I'm saying this as a fan of TPM ?).

I do think that not using Luke was a bold move, while I also think that Luke missing was something that was in every iterations of the story.

Episode 8 was always supposed to be the game-changer, the level of "game-changing" depending on who would end up directing the movie.

When they found RJ, the plan was to have him write Episodes 8-9 and direct both of them. I think that the "whys" of that will be more clearer when we will know a little bit more about the story of Episode 8.

My guess is that RJ thought it was impossible to direct both episodes simultaneously.

That's how and why I think CT came into the picture and got into the conversation regarding Episode 9.

The good thing is that, no matter what, Colin is directing the direct sequel to Episode 8 and he can't escape this. If he's not working from RJ's treatment, he's certainly working from a bible written by RJ as the story will have been set.

The bad thing is that he's "writing" the script. I don't hate JW and I kinda love Safety Not Guaranteed. It's just that we are talking about Episode 9. The Big finale of what might end up the most twisted SW trilogy ever.

I do think that RJ and CT will work closely together but as any writer will attest.......you can take notes, discussed a story over and over again...at the end of the day....you love to write your own stuff.

I'm confident that Episode 9 will be good as CT can't escape the story that Episode 8 will set.

The "X" factor is "can he deliver the goods as a writer ??".

My feeling.

CT will deliver a better movie than Marquand did.

Satipo likes this.
  22. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I'm gonna echo those sentiments. I loved TFA, but it is safe. Very very safe, and that's not what I want for the trilogy moving forward. I understand the need to do that for the first film from Disney's perspective, and within those confines it worked, but if they were to play the whole trilogy like that then I would take major issue with it. the way the plans seem to go though, TFA was a great foundation to build upon, and now with Johnson and Trevorrow's films we are really going to get to dig into the meat of this story and explore it in ways that aren't necessarily rebranded elements of the Original Trilogy.

Rimfaxe96 likes this.
  23. Rimfaxe96

Rimfaxe96 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2016
    Personally I don't think TFA was that safe. Killing Han Solo off was a big deal. Having Kylo Ren played by a guy who doesn't have a perfect Justin Bieber baby face was too. And giving major roles to people of minority/prejudice-riddled ethnicities was too, way to give Hollywood and its ridiculous rules the middle finger. But now that TFA has earned them a little over 2 billion dollars I have no doubt that they're going to be bolder. They needed TFA as 'experimental movie' to see if they could make a movie in Star Wars style, and quite obviously the audience has deemed it well enough.

Disney and Lucasfilms are obviously putting a lot of work and care into the franchise. I don't think we'll see too much influence from the old trilogies from here on out.

24. Darth Dementor

Darth Dementor Jedi Master star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    It's gotten 90% on Rotten Tomato. I haven't seen it but I might give it a go. I was surprised when Trevorrow got the nod because Jurassic World was his only movie I've seen and I wasn't thrilled by it. He got the gig for a reason so I will give him a chance.

25. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I thought Safety Not Guaranteed was pretty ordinary. But I don't think Trevorrow has some kind of hidden talent--I think he has proven to be a team player who can handle a big budget effects movie that manages to push the right buttons in audiences. He'll take notes and make money, in other words. He's the anti-Trank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.