main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I guess worrying about episode 9 is a thing now because of course it is.

2. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Yes, gods forbid an Oscar Winner for Best Cinematography is the DOP on a Star Wars movie. Gasp! The horror!

3. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    I forgot it's impossible for an Oscar winner to make anything crappy.

4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    He didn't deserve it, IMO. He's of the "candy-coated sheen" school of blockbuster cinematography, which I can't stand. It's all entirely subjective, of course, but so is nearly everything we talk about here. :)

11-4D likes this.
  5. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012

See, but that's completely at odds with his quieter work. Sure he's DOPed the big Michael Bay stuff (which I like, he's all about kinetics without trying to hide behind jittery camera work and flash cuts like other auteur DOPs in the field), but what about stuff like Saving Mr. Banks, Conspiracy Theory, The Rookie, The Bucket List....TOTALLY different style to the blockbuster action flicks he's been a party to. To me that's the sign of a solid DOP, someone who can work in multiple genres and not constrain himself in style. He knows how to build a scene and immerse you. Not a lot of the younger crew of DOPs out there have a clue how to do this. Watch the Raptor pen scene in JW again. Watch how he slow pans, switches from wide to close....it builds the tension in the scene with only a mild amount of dialogue.

But most of all you can't apply "candy-coated sheen" to his work on films like Saving Mr. Banks or The Rookie.

6. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I must admit i only saw his "blockbuster" work and i didnt like the cinematography much, if he can do better things, fine, but SW being a blockbuster and him having already worked with CT with disappointing results IMO makes me a bit nervous...is he working on CTs next movie Book of Henry? im really looking forward that one as i loved safety not guaranteed..

Lord Nikon likes this.
  7. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Oh, wow, he's a DoP for Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed?

Lord Nikon likes this.
  8. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    He is indeed. And the cinematography of those flicks is probably the only thing I can find tolerable in them (not that I'll watch them). LOL!

9. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Lord Nikon Agreed. He didn't do cinematography on the first one, but based on second movie's trailers, cinematography is an absolute winner, as it was in the first one. They sure now how to lens those movies, if anything else. And he's done a stellar job with little that trailers showed.

Lord Nikon likes this.
  10. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    That was my thought as well. No interest in the movies but it looks really good from a photography POV.

11. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Lord Nikon Totally. It also shows that he isn't beholden to one style (example: candy-coated sheen) but changes them accordingly. I'm not worried about what he'll bring to IX table.

Lord Nikon likes this.
  12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I'll certainly give him a chance! Perhaps he'll surprise me.

Though my dream is to have Emmanuel Lubezki (who's worked with directors like Cuaron and Malick) to be DOP on a Star Wars film at some point. The mere thought of that is a mind-melter.

13. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Wouldn't the candy-coated sheen be the fault of digital grading in post-production? Look at a shot like this one from Savings Mr Banks:
    [​IMG]

I think this is a beautiful shot. Naturalistic, good framing, no fussy post-production orange-ification of skin tones. I think if Trevorrow lets Schwartzman do his thing without putting it through too many filters afterward, IX should look just fine.

14. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I will never understand this trend of putting weird filters over movies.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    My understanding was that Schwartzman was a large part of the decision to apply the filters that JW suffered under. Also, his other blockbuster, CGI-heavy credits, such as The Amazing Spider Man and Pearl Harbor, have that same sugary, Kincaid-esque sheen that JW does, which is my primary worry. His "Seabiscuit" is perhaps the worst offender of all.

However, I concede that he's certainly capable, given that his smaller films can (mostly, or in parts) have a naturalistic beauty about them. I just hope he doesn't subscribe to the idea that mega blockbusters require the sort of "faux-epic" filters that plague so many of those films.

So far, I'm not convinced.

16. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    Yes, but they could use this to make an interesting plot thread. Kylo has regret about what he did to his father because it did not "cure" the call of the light side for him. He has an internal struggle to make amends with his mother but she killed before he ever has the chance. This could be used as a plot device to make him resentful towards snoke and help draw him back to the light, or it could be used to drive him further into insanity, whichever direction they chose to go.

17. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    do we know what his story telling is like? besides Jurassic world? Like we know Rian's is different/out there.

18. Kantz

Kantz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2015
    Rian is writing the story for IX. Colin is writing the screenplay.

Lord Nikon likes this.
  19. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    RJ is writing the story but it's CT's and his pal's screenplay that will give episode 9 its flavour. Based on the pair's previous work on Safety Not Guaranteed (great movie!) i would say it's quirky, nerdy, with lots of heart. Less cerebral than RJ but gently heartwarming, naively sincere and playfully offbeat. Book of Henry seems to be in that mould again. Dont know how it will affect episode 9 if it does...

20. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I'm confused about the time frame for Episode 9.

Some reports say the movie is coming out in May 2019. Others say December 2019. December 2019 is currently clear except for an untitled Disney fairy tale movie they can change (since there is no title anyway).

And are they going into pre-production this spring? I'd assume they would be filming in early 2018 no matter when the movie is coming out.

21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I'm thinking all Star Wars movies will come out in December now considering the success of TFA and RO.

Lord Nikon likes this.
  22. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013

I'd assume so. ManaByte said that it was currently scheduled for May 2019 but maybe that was due to the very original mindset stemming back to 2012 when they were planning the movies to be out in May of 2015, 2017, and 2019 and they never changed it for Episode 9 officially.

As for the "candy coated" cinematography, count me as one of many who "couldn't give a @#$%". I thought the cinematography in JW was fantastic. That's coming from someone who likes movies to "look good" and doesn't know squat about all the technical stuff.

23. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I feel like all Star Wars movie's are coming out in December.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  25. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.