main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd rate JJ about the same as Trevorrow. Both created good but ultimately very forgettable blockbuster films. JJ was elevated by Star Wars and the folks he had around him and I think Trevorrow will be as well. He's already said he's putting everything he has into Episode IX so I think that's a good start.

2. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    The fact that she hired Trevorrow in the first place is a reason to worry already.

3. sabo1990

sabo1990 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2015

don,t forget the masterpiece monster trucks written by Derek Connolly
    [​IMG]

4. spectator

spectator Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 6, 2017

A couple of years ago, I would've said the same about her hiring JJ, but JJ did better with his episode than I ever could've imagined he was capable of and quite satisfied me. Based on his track record, Trevorrow scares me, too, but I'm just crossing my fingers that, as with JJ, Kathleen Kennedy knows/sees something that I don't.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'd vehemently disagree with this. Abrams is able to shoot and edit sequences in such a way that they clip along at a fun and exciting pace, whereas Jurassic World frequently felt sluggish or simply too plain. There's also far more heart and likable characters in Star Trek, Super 8, or even in Star Trek Into Darkness than in Jurassic World. Hell, for all the flack the movie itself receives, the opening sequence of Star Trek Into Darkness is better than anything found in the entire running time of Jurassic World; it's a fun mini-adventure that clearly lays out the characters' personalities and their dynamic, whereas I can't really tell you a whole lot about the characters in JW. Although Abrams definitely has some personal traps that he can't resist falling into time and again (longterm logic is often sacrificed for the feeling of the moment), I definitely think he overall has better instincts that those Trevorrow has displayed in Jurassic World and Safety Not Guaranteed, which admittedly I mostly liked.

6. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

Rodie likes this.
  7. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Is it really overreacting if you're just not a fan of the directors work?

That would be like saying people are overreacting if M Night Shymalan was announced to direct IX.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    And I vehemently disagree with your vehement disagreement! :p

No but truth be told I'm just not the biggest JJ fan. I don't particularly care for any of his movies other than Super 8 and TFA. I have huge problems with his Star Trek which I won't go into because it's not the thread for it. Anyway, neither JJ or Trevorrow would have been my first choice but that's why they don't pay me the big bucks.

9. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    JJ's biggest strength is casting. And TFA and ST benefited from that talent greatly. I guess Rian's talent is in going deeper into characters and lore. Colin's talent must be something that's beneficial for the finale. I know his work only from JW that I found enjoyable and rewatchable. So I can't comment on his opus.

D'an likes this.
  10. Psycho Weiner

Psycho Weiner Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2017
    I'm not going to criticise Trevorrow as I haven't seen any of his films, but it just seems strange that for the final chapter of this new trilogy of probably the biggest franchise in cinema, for the big finale they haven't gone for a big name director with a track record of successful blockbusters like Abrams, or a highly-rated but more experimental director like Johnson, but someone who just seems, well...average. And it seems a huge missed opportunity for RJ to not have any involvement in writing it at all.

Sorry forgotten the name of the guy who's helping Trevorrow write it - does anyone know what else he's written?

11. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    At the end of the day, corporate people are in charge. And by all accounts, Colin plays ball. :(

12. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Trevorrow's JW made more money than all Abrams movies combined and it didn't get bad reviews either:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jurassic_world

Also,it isn't like Abrams movies were amazing. First Trek has great cast and absolute nonsense of a story. Second Trek was God-awful. Magic blood, lol. Super 8 falls apart in the second half and never recovers. MI3 also had big third act problems. So Trevorrow is no worse choice.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  13. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

The sequel trilogy (thankfully) is a group effort, everyone:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy#Episode_IX

Trevorrow, along with Derek Connolly, will be writing the script from Rian Johnson's story treatment

Is there conflicting information regarding this?

14. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Rian tweeted that he isn't involved with IX at all.

15. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

I believe you so no need to source;

Could you briefly put it into context for me? Were they working from a story treatment that got thrown out the window after Carrie passed away?

[edit]: wasn't back as many pages as I thought it'd be.

16. Psycho Weiner

Jan 5, 2017

But that's too simplistic an argument - I don't think KK is just a 'corporate person', she understands Star Wars. And all the choices of directors so far have been good - Abrams was a good choice to start off the trilogy, Johnson is perfect to take it in a new direction, Edwards was a good fit for R1. They weren't chosen just because they 'play ball'. Trevorrow just seems an underwhelming choice - either go for a big blockbuster director, or choose someone more 'artistic' but critically-acclaimed - he seems to be neither. It might not matter if he had a great script - but he's writing the script as well.

17. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

I agree with your thoughts on JJ. I'm actually quite happy with what we got in TFA, as it was certainly better than I imagined. It had some of the JJ problems I expected, but it avoided or toned down many others.

JJ at least gets Star Wars... he DOES NOT get Star Trek.

18. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I still don't understand the panic; JJ & Kathleen are still executive producers, and I'm sure the basic outline for Episode IX has been established for some time now. All Trevorrow has to do is tie the knot on the bow. Barry Switzer was able to win 2 Super Bowls using Jimmy Johnson's players; all the pieces are there- just give us the final battle. Return of the Jedi wasn't full of wild new story directions, yet it was a fitting end even though George cut the series shorter than originally planned.

19. Psycho Weiner

Jan 5, 2017

I think Abrams did a great job with TFA, but regardless, this is the climax of the whole trilogy, you'd think some of the world's top directors would be interested, and they'd want to choose the best they could possibly get. Again I'm not saying he's a terrible director, but he doesn't seem to have much of a reputation - he just seems pretty average by all accounts. They could at least get a great writer in to help him, but that doesn't seem to be happening either. Just all seems a bit strange.

20. Psycho Weiner

Jan 5, 2017

Not panicking and I'm sure it won't be terrible, it's just that if TLJ is as good as we're all hoping, expectations for 9 are going to be sky-high, and I'd like the trilogy to go out with a bang rather than a whimper. The end point might already have been decided, but we still want to see a great movie to get us there.

I guess I'm more concerned about the writing than the directing - a competent but average director with a great script might be fine, but an average director with an average script? Not so much.

Anyway, what am I doing? It's way too early to be worrying about this stuff!:)

21. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I will say that I though the initial premise of Jurassic World was pretty good (I liked the idea of the park being a big up and running attraction)... but after that it was pretty stupid.

Training the dinosaurs? - Stupid

Genetically engineered hybrid? - Stupid

Military dude wanting to use dinosaurs as weapons? - Really, really, really stupid

I honestly thought the effects weren't any better (in fact I thought they were worse in some cases) than the original.

I will say it's easily the best of the Jurassic Park sequels, but that's mostly because the others are god awful.

Watching Jurassic World just made me want to watch the original again - which is much better.

That doesn't mean Colin won't do a good job.... I didn't real care for much of Edwards work (other than Monsters) and Rogue One was incredible... so who knows?

22. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Simply put: A director with a very questionable track record is at the helm of a Star Wars film. The big finale, no less.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'll give you my controvsial opinion, I prefer Jurassic World to both of Abrams Star Trek movie honestly, at least Jurassic World was a one and done film that doesn't need sequels, it's getting them but it doesn't need them.

Honestly I think JW just suffers from lack of originality than anything else. It functions it's just...kinda ok.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I prefer it to both of Abrams Treks as well. Now Star Trek Beyond that's a different story. :p

25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh heck yeah! Star Trek Beyond is amazing and wonderful. (No Wrath of Khan but what is) I hope that EP 8 falls into more the Beyond territory if we are making Star Trek comparisons...(Though if it falls into Wrath of Khan territory woduln't that be something :p)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.