main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Star Trek Beyond????????? - you guys are killing me, that was yet another silly action movie masquerading as Star Trek. Then again I'm pretty picky about my Trek movies... the undiscovered country was the last one I really liked.

I've only seen beyond once - didn't it have dirt bike scenes in it?

2. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Psycho Weiner I don't have actual quotes but director names that were floating around for either TFA or TLJ that I remember were Fincher (TFA), Bird, Affleck, Cuaron, Spielberg (supposedly KK was really for it), Lawrence and Vaughn (who reportedly wanted Chloe Moretz as the lead). Some think that Fincher took the rebuff hard and that his Adam Driver shade in the infamous Sony leak was because of the grudge over losing TFA gig. He said the email with the Driver shade was a joke but who knows.

3. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    IMO, this is the tragedy of this whole thing. They could have chosen anyone of these people but ended up with J.J and Trevorrow. :oops::oops::oops:

4. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    JJ gave us this cast and for that he should be celebrated. Ficnher wouldn't cast Adam and Vaughn would give us MoReytz. Sure, Alt Kylo and MoReytz could work, we'll never know now, but Adam and Daisy are perfect so no complaints from me.

5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm still hoping Matthew Vaughn gets a standalone film. I think the proposed ensemble Boba Fett film could be a good fit.

PymParticles likes this.
  6. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    ---
    We don't know what they would have done. All we can do is look at the existing track record. Each one of those directors has made at least one fantastic film. Some have made several. Everything J.J has done has been milk toast. So, logically, TFA ended up being milk toast too..As for Trevorrow, JW was atrocious, both visually and in terms of story. The Book of Henry looks just as terrible. And in charge of all of this is a "non-corporate" president of a corporation who "understands Star Wars". Okay... [face_dunno]

So, we have what we have. The only bright spot in this is Rian and he is not even involved in IX.

7. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

*cough* Gareth Edwards *cough*

BTW - if you don't like KK blame Lucas... he's the guy that pretty much hand picked her to run the show

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    the book of henry actually looks really good imo, I liked safety not guaranteed but he didn't write that? I really wish we would get someone like Ava Duverney in there or Spielberg would have been awesome.

9. Jedi Master Splinter

Jedi Master Splinter Jedi Knight

May 15, 2015
    What a terrible decision. He hasn't made anything that makes him worthy of directing a SW movie.

Jurassic World is everything wrong with new movies currently. The freaking T Rex did a freaking head nod to the raptors. That could have been one of the dumbest things I've seen in the movies in a long time.

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I just rewatched Kingsman: The Secret Service last night, and a Boba Fett shootout in the vein of the church scene in that movie (or any of the Hit-Girl/Big Daddy scenes in Kick-Ass) would be a delight and a half.

Do it. Bring Vaughn on board.

11. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Even if RJ didn't write a treatment, I'd be very surprised if CT didn't have a strong sense of where the story is going based on discussions with RJ. I doubt that he would steer the story away from the direction RJ was heading.

The meat of the story was always going to be down to CT and his writing partner.

12. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    yeah, it isn't like CT is going to retcon everything and take the story in the direction that doesn't flow with what came before. These movies are run by a committee. They know how they want them to end, they just don't have detailed steps so that's where scribes come in. But they have to write within a framework. It isn't creative freedom to write anything that comes to their minds. There are guidelines.

13. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    the duffer brothers they would do amazing with SW.

Rodie likes this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The Star Wars code it's more like guidelines. (Pirates reference)

But yeah which is both hinderance and help....For it means no far out their Star Wars film without some limits but also means no far out their Star Wars film that goes down hill.

15. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yes. But in order for a film to shine in the context of that committee process, the director needs to have a strong vision and style. Just not sure Trevorrow has that. Which could mean a stale, committee-made product.

As the old saying goes, a camel is a horse designed in committee. I'll accept a camel, but I'd like to see a horse.

16. AloneinSpace

AloneinSpace Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 21, 2015
    It's too early to worry about IX. But let's do that just because we like to worry.
    Most mainstream movies fail in the 3rd act for me. Too much action and little substance. That part is where all the cliches take over the story, and it is a very hard thing to make a happy ending which is not lame. Colin's episode is kinda the 3rd act of ST. And he doesn't seem like he is strong on storytelling.

17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I don't think they will go again for a Ep6 over the top happy ending

18. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    well depends if they are making episode 10 or not and how far out that will be.

19. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

I fully anticipate that we'll be getting another trilogy after this. It's just a matter of how long they're gonna wait to start it up imo.

JediLight likes this.
  20. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    I personally don't think they should wait to long maybe 3 years at the most.

21. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    A bit too early to worry about ep9...yes i have doubts too about Trevorrow directing it but Gareth Edwards had just one good movie (monsters) and one "meh" one (godzilla). Turned out R1 was a fantastic movie! As for JJ i like the guy and the stuff he produces (cloverfield, lost) but i dint really like his fims...except the first half of super 8 and TFA. It seems like SW gets the best of each director...i really really hope JW was just a misstep and is not a clear indication of Trevorrow's abilities as a filmmaker. As i said many times i like safety not guaranteed a lot and looking forward to seeing book of henry..i just hope he's not turning into a commitee-approved yes-man and has what it takes to create a great, personal and captivating star wars.

Again, cant wait to watch book of henry to learn more about him as a director.

22. sabo1990

sabo1990 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2015
    At least jj abram was smart enough to bring on the guy who co-wrote the greatest star wars movie of all- time, to help him write the force awakens.

unfortunately, Colin Trevorrow partner in crime wrote one of the worst movies of all time monster truck.

it save to say that star wars 9 is going to take huge nose dive in quality.

23. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I told already several times. We need a panic thread.

24. Iceko

Iceko Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2016
    I just don't understand why Rian isn't writing this at least. Especially when you see how much praise he's getting for his writing and his brilliant mind.

I'd have had him direct it as well to be honest. If my options were Rian for the 2nd time or Colin well yeah the answer is obvious in my head.. I'm really quite afraid of what Colin's gonna do with this film.
    s

25. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    I understand some folks' disappointment. I was very excited to hear that RJ had a lot of creative freedom. I still think the decision to allow all of the directors to make each film truly their own is a good one. CT will probably have more freedom than he did with JW (for one, it was Spielberg who broke the story IIRC). So you might be pleasantly surprised with what he comes up with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.