main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    That was my thinking as well :p

This is probably Mark just trying to defend the young kids and send a positive message. We know he has spoken out a bunch about how mercilessly Jake Lloyd was treated after TPM.

2. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm sure we all know one flop (or even a few) can happen to the best of directors. I'm just a bit concerned about Colin's enthusiasm for the material prior to the debut. It's not like he had an extensive resume prior to JW. IMO Bryce Howard (who I think is very talented) came off pretty wooden in that movie. I'm no expert, but I wonder what metrics were evaluated in his previous work when they handed Colin 1/3 of the ST. I think you could make the case for JJ and Rian a lot easier than Colin.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Someone call Gareth Edwards and see if his access badge still works.

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh hi Denny! I...am your father.

5. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    "You know what Ep. 9 needs? Rey dueling in space-pumps and a bikini." - CT

"I did not kill Han. I did not do it I did NOT"

6. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  7. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    No statement will be made by Lucasfilm. No changes will be made. It's supposed to start shooing next month. Trevorrow will direct this. The iceberg is in sight. The band has already been paid and they're tuning up. See you all at the bottom of the ocean.

8. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    I'm feeling some type of way at the idea of LFL looking for a female director as a last minute replacement/damage control for Colin, after what KK said about female directors.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't start filming until January. There's still time.

10. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    "Oh hai Hux."

I'll say this, if you guys are going to seriously consider another director for IX, you have to look at ones that aren't actively in production of their own blockbuster films. So Coogler would be out, so would DuVernay. Unless they want to postpone until 2020. I wouldn't complain if that were the case.

I wouldn't say no to Cuaron. Azkaban is my favorite of the Potter films, and Children of Men and Gravity were also stellar. Part of me thinks that they should just cut out the middle man and bring on Tony Gilroy to direct from the get go instead of having him clean up a mess of a film. I'd love Jenkins but she seemed iffy on the prospect of Star Wars when asked and might need a bit more of a break before going into production on another blockbuster. Bigelow would have an interesting take on the material.

11. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I can see the term "consultant" being thrown around as someone else is brought on board to "help".

Jacques who and afrojedi like this.
  12. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    Or if they really like Rian Johnson, could we just keep him? Please?

(I have no idea if he has other movies on the horizon. I'm sure he has 50.)

And TLJ can't start THAT soon, because Daisy still has to film Chaos Walking which will probably take a couple months.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  13. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree. Either way, KK, Iger and company will probably have a shorter leash on CT. I can't picture him having the leeway they gave JJ or RJ.

DarkMark likes this.
  14. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    That still seems too soon to find a new director, a good one at that, that will be available on short notice. I'm betting most directors that we would want are probably already tied up with other commitments.

The bright side to all of this is that it's a momentary distraction from wondering who Rey's parents are.

15. DarkMark

DarkMark Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 6, 2002

You never know, Brett Ratner might be available.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  16. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    They've switched out directors before in the past. I'm not sure how the abrupt change in leadership has panned out on average, but regardless of whether or not they speak publicly, they have to be concerned. They were placing a lot of faith in an untested talent who just crapped out on his 2nd big project.

17. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Ha. I actually joked about that a few pages back. This really does feel reminiscent of the X-Men 3 situation.

18. DarkMark

Apr 6, 2002

I might have been a little harsh there, actually - Ratner did do a decent job with Red Dragon, albeit with a fantastic script.

They could always push it back to December. They did that early in the production of TLJ.

afrojedi likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Fire Trevorrow, delay the film until December 2019 and find someone with some actual talent. What's David Fincher up to? :p

20. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    Pushing it back would be worth it, even if it became May 2020. It's better to have a director you aren't going to scrutinize or micro-manage than staying the course on one you have little faith in. Too many hands in the pot will produce the same results as simply having the wrong hand.

Jacques who likes this.
  21. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

While I doubt Fincher would ever take the job, I think this is moreorless the path that Lucasfilm needs to take with Episode IX. Hell, if it's necessary, delay as far back as May or December 2020. There's absolutely no need to rush this film out.

afrojedi and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. Jacques who

Jacques who Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 18, 2017
    I agree that additional screenwriters and consultants will probably suddenly be involved in the film as opposed to completely cutting CT. And by the end of the day or weekend we'll likely get the obligatory statement from LFL and KK saying 'We have full confidence in CT and love the direction he's going!'

But the reviews are uniformly saying 'Be terrified for SW' and comparing the film to Birdemic and The Room. Not just failed formulaic films, but the most notoriously absurd and tone deaf movies ever made. This just might be a bad enough situation to cut him even if it means pushing the movie back. Despite all his talk about how he now sees the value of female heroes after WW, many reviews are calling TBoH oddly sexist and abusive. That is definitely not the message KK wants to send.

EHT and afrojedi like this.
  23. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    Everybody on this board including me right now:

Gigoran Monk and afrojedi like this.
  24. DarkMark

Apr 6, 2002

Based on what he said around the time of Jurassic World, I think he genuinely believes he's deconstructing gender stereotypes, but his films lack the intelligence and nuance to handle that so they just come across as painfully old-fashioned and sexist.

Jacques who and afrojedi like this.
  25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    What has to be done between now and January? Filmmakers can you answer that? Sets? Concept art? Casting? Screenplay editing (which will be constant and heavy for sure)?

There's 7 months to go and while the media won't forget, firing CT now would be impulsive. However, you get a big name to come in and act as a consultant (aka co-director who will be assigned bigger and bigger roles if need be) and plaster that all over the media and you ease the tensions. Sure, Patty Jenkins is the "it" kid right now and her work with female characters is highly regarded at the moment. But there are others. Possibly the safest route is to have Rian and/or JJ come on board to assist. But that's just name throwing right now.

CT could knock it out of the park but there's already pre-conceived notions and the public (the SW public at least) needs to feel confident.

I had never heard of "Birdemic" or "The Room" so I went on youtube and saw that they are merely parodies meant to be made fun of in the nature of "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" or, in modern terms "Sharknado". The comparisons would be cute if BOH were not meant to be taken seriously. Unfortunately that is not the case. From what I gather, BOH essentially
    takes the subject of a young person's untimely death due to cancer and a young girl's sick abuse from her stepfather and turns it into a comical tale of how to commit murder but tries to make it light hearted"
    I mean WTF!!!!

The Regular Mustache likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.