main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Jurassic World is no where near as bad as it should be. It's a passable big action Hollywood film... and it's probably Trevorrow that makes it passable effort. As a film, I think it's no better or worse that Lost World and JP3...

Artoo-Dion and Darth Haggai like this.
  2. Mothma10

Mothma10 Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2015
    Which is one of the greatest hours of television and incredibly well-directed.

El_Machete12, Dewback and Njfritz like this.
  3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    have to say the most intriguing thing Lucasfilm is doing is hiring directors who also have writing experience which all 3 of the ST directors have....

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  4. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    I guess some people have different standards, for me looper is a much better film than JW, the acting in JW at times was excruciating, your theory about rivalry regarding this choice of director is bonkers. People are saying trust Kathleen Kennedy, well yes i do but did she really pick this guy? or did disney...

5. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    jurassic world was at best an avg hollywood action film. the only thing interesting about it were the homages to the original jurassic park. take those away and there's not a single original idea in the movie. i vote nay on this director.

NostalgiaFan and Darth Haggai like this.
  6. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    People seem to forget that Trevorrow worked with Spielberg who intern is a great friend of Kennedy's so I am sure she is confident in the choice.

Darkslayer and Darth Haggai like this.
  7. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    In truth, no director in the world is ever a guarantee for success. The Lost World was directed by Spielberg and it wasn`t much better than JW, if at all. As was Chrystal Skull, which is... well, what it is. Even Brad Bird failed with Tomorrowland ( which is a terrible dissappointment, as he apparently said no to a SW film, to do it and Tomorrowland`s flop is perhaps why he wasn`t chosen for IX)
    On the other hand, Kershner didn`t do anything of note before ESB and neither did Marquand before ROTJ, so it could go either way.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Well to be fair Star Wars Episode IX is going to be what, the eleventh Star Wars film? Chances are it's not going to be a vehicle primarily driven by original ideas regardless of the director.

9. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Star Wars isn't exactly art house cinema. Trevorrow is a solid choice for movie like this, IMO.

10. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I think that regardless how one feels about JW, Trevorrow has demonstrated that he can handle doing a big budget spectacle, as opposed to Josh Trank, for example. If memory serves, Marquand had problems doing Jedi and he needed lot's of advice from Lucas.

11. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Calm the **** down.

You're acting as if Satan himself has gotten the directing job. I don't know what Jurassic World did to piss you off so much.

You're even suggesting Abrams is deflated over this news. What the ****? [face_laugh]

12. dan1210

Mar 27, 2015
    Yes i am extremely disappointed by the news, im a big starwars fan and i thought jurassic world was over rated and ultimately a poor film. I had high hopes JJ would return if episode 7 is the film we all hope it will be.
    My point regarding JJ is he seems a little deflated in the d23 interviews (compared to every other interview ive seen him in regarding tfa) maybe hes just tired!
    Im actually surprised they've announced the director so early, you would think they would wait, see how tfa goes down, then make a decision, these arent marvel movies.

Maybe you should calm down, im not the one cussing.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  13. -Redacted-

-Redacted- Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2013
    Wow, people need to calm down about this announcement.

This movie is 4 years away.

Trevorrow is a fine choice. As is Johnson (Who I think is going to do an amazing job).

we have 3 other movies to worry about before we can even starting talking about IX.

Seriously, just pump the breaks.

EDIT: dan1210
    I totally get you didn't like JW, but has KK really done us wrong so far, in selecting of directors and writers, and movies.

Her husband produced JW, I seriously think she trusts him.

Maybe we should too?

Pro Scoundrel and Redimet like this.
  14. Fruit Pastilles

Dec 21, 2014
    And I'm not the one who's completely overreacting over this news.

What did you expect out of Jurassic World? Overrated? This is what I'm talking about...
    JW was only ever going to be a fun summer blockbuster that you didn't need to think too hard about. The main problem with JW was the writing, and the movie was heavily micromanaged by the producers. You can't base Trevorrow's filmmaking ability off of that film. Watch Safety Not Guaranteed. Maybe you'll enjoy it, and change your mind on him.

Abrams is most likely incredibly stressed out over this movie. Of course he's going to sound deflated, and I doubt he wants to go back for Episode IX in a directing and writing role. It's too much work for one guy.

Redimet likes this.
  15. Fruit Pastilles

Dec 21, 2014
    Yes, I enjoyed it.

It got 71% on RT and 7.3 on IMDb. The majority of the audience thought it was a decent movie.

Redimet likes this.
  16. dan1210

Mar 27, 2015
    Exactly my point, it wasnt even a fun summer blockbuster, maybe i am over reacting but for now thats my opinion.

17. SithPug

SithPug Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2014
    Looper is light years better than anything Trevorrow has done. Brick is too.

Why do people think Trevorrow was hired bc of the money JW made? Surely KK and Lucasfilm aren't naive enough to think Trevorrow is the reason JW made that money. Nostalgia, dinosaurs and the ignorant general movie going public are the reasons that made money. It certainly wasn't because it was a good movie.

Just keep Trevorrow away from the script.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  18. Fruit Pastilles

Dec 21, 2014
    Think of it this way: there is no way in hell that Disney would greenlight anything that they didn't like. Every script, and storyboard will be gone over with a fine tooth comb before any okay is given to proceed. This is a $4 billion investment.

So, worry not, Star Wars will not be left worse than when Trevorrow found it.

19. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Actually this was almost kind of expected. They are hiring directors who fit the kind of movies they want in a typical Star Wars movie trilogy.

For the first film (TFA) they wanted a director who's good at kickstarting old franchises and make them appeal to modern audiences. JJ fits this role.

For the second film (Ep VIII) they wanted a director who can make more dark and serious movies, since Disney wants to follow the ESB-agenda that the second movie should be the darkest. This is very suitable for Rian Johnson.

And for the third film (Ep IX) they wanted a director who has a more light-hearted and comedic tone to him, since Disney obviously wants the last movie in the ST to have a very happy ending. Trevorrow have shown to be good at this.

20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Breaking Bad would have been better suited for HBO ......

I am happy with all the Directorial Decisions, even with the Anthology films, Like I said I am easy to please! My sister once said I am the easiest person to shop for around Christmas because I absolutely love everything I get!

21. NostalgiaFan

NostalgiaFan Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2015
    Anyone who thinks that Star Wars is the same kind of "Dumb action movie" like JW and that is a good reason for picking Colin have no clue what makes Star Wars great.

If the original Star Wars was anything like JW with boring plot and forgettable characters then it would never become a trilogy and never turn into the classic that is still remembered today.
    Star Wars is the way it is now because of it's focus on characters and story combined with the massive work of keeping that with the expansive special effects. What I saw in JW showed me that Colin is not capable of that and so there is no reason I should see him as a good choice over many other directors who have shown that.

Oh and and JW being better then Looper? Don't make me laugh.

22. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Lol Looper isn't perfect either you know. People are acting like Johnson has already made a good Star Wars movie, he hasn't so lets wait and see same goes for Trevorrow.

23. johnbajuice

johnbajuice Jedi Padawan

Oct 28, 2013
    He also worked with Frank Marshall, Kennedy's husband ;)

Artoo-Dion and Redimet like this.
  24. NostalgiaFan

NostalgiaFan Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2015
    Duh no Sh** did I say anything like that? There a lot of problems I had but considering I saw both Looper and JW I can say with certainty that in comparison to plot and characters that Johnson has done a better job of that then Trevorrow.

dan1210 likes this.
  25. Powerful Lord

Powerful Lord Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2015
    How so? They would have asked for more nudity, how would the show have been any better at HBO? What would they bring? Money? Breaking Bad has as much as it needed, it wasn't a game of throne type of story, nudity? It wouldn't have helped the narrative at all, only waste time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.