main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I tend to lean on the side that says Trevorrow simply isn't really a good writer, and that Carrie's passing presented a challenge that imo writers who have been brought on to write a star wars movie probably should be able to meet. It's not to understate Leia's importance, but I think it's Trevorrow's writing that was the bigger problem, and it was probably highlighted by Carrie's death.

Part of me wonders though if that Trevorrow's Leia-centric vision for the story was compelling in and of itself because Leia is relatively unexplored compared to most other principal characters in the saga. I bet any approach that put Leia front and center (like Han in TFA) would feel fresh, and was the key element that made Trevorrow's story stand out. Without that silver bullet, he wasn't able to come up with anything as compelling, whereas I imagine talented writers would.

2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Yes, this dude is around since 2015.

"While production won’t begin for a few years, Trevorrow is heading to Lucasfilm this year to begin working with artists and his fellow Star Wars directors." AUGUST 15, 2015

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
  4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    This doesn't work though as if true then KK knew all about that in intimate detail through her husband and Spielberg... and still hired him.

Vohnkar and jaqen like this.
  5. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    as said, Spielberg still stood behind him in JW, so....maybe KK realized it too late. [face_dunno]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015
    If the report is to be believed, JWs success was the one that made him unbearable, so neither her husband or Spilberg would have known

7. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I would have believed if Colin was the first "sources said that he is impossible to work" but just this year we already saw the same rumors to Han Solo's directors. 3 directors that just now LF found out that they are difficult to work with?

8. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    It is even something I faced a lot at job and in private life with people who change their personality completely after getting some success. They treated me then like someone inferior. In the beginning I was a lot hurt by such behavior, but got used to it over the years. [face_sigh]

oncafar, Strongbow and Xael like this.
  9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    So he just barely bearable on JW then:

https://www.themarysue.com/trevorrow-star-wars-ix-firing-reason/

According to a source who spoke to Vulture, Trevorrow was equally as impressed with his own sudden success as everyone else. A “a ranking Hollywood movie insider with direct knowledge of the productions” of Trevorrow’s Jurassic World, as well as followup The Book of Henry, explained that Trevorrow had been very forceful about his own opinions on Jurassic World. When that was a success, it only made him double down on self-confidence for Book of Henry, and we all saw how that turned out.

So again Book of Henry was shot after JW came out and he was already hired for IX and was totally unbearable already two years ago.

10. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015
    Maybe for KK it was still bearable. We dont know at what exact moment he became too much (again, if the report is true). Maybe he is good at giving a really good impression at the beginning, but after a bit it became clear he wasn't going to play ball. And after the whole Lord and Miller thing, she was even more hesitant to pull the plug.

Also when you're in the inside, it's not always easy to notice these things. If CW is close to her husband and Spilberg, it would have made it hard.

11. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Lol. I think there's absolutely no way that CT and Mr. Monster Truck's initial script was "inspired."

In early stages of production, his unbearability was probably not fully apparent as the focus was still on TFA, RO and TLJ. Colin probably just wasn't interacting very much with KK, who was dealing with JJ, Edwards and Rian. So it makes perfect sense that as the attention turns to Colin on the eve of TLJ's release, that CT's interactions with KK would increase, and she would realize what a twit he is. After seeing his terrible script, she tried to correct with a change of writers. CT wasn't having it, they clashed, and he walked/ was fired.

12. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I believe it just comes down to the fact that Lucasfilm and KK will give directors the freedom to be creative as long as they like what they are doing. As soon as they stop liking what they are doing they will begin reeling the filmmakers in and their freedom to be creative will start to disappear. It's like that in the real world as well. Many employers will be hands off as long as their employees are doing a good job. Once they stop doing a good job they will begin to be managed a lot more and that is when heads start butting.

Rodie and oncafar like this.
  13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    His apparent forcefulness really does come through in interviews. I think he comes across as a bit of a bully, actually. Whereas Rian Johnson and Gareth Edwards couldn't be further away in the other direction. I can't comment on Lord and Miller, because I've never read or seen any interviews with them.

As others have said, as well, I genuinely believe a lot of this comes down to KK wanting to keep the SW brand intact. She has a mountain on her shoulders and she doesn’t want to waver at all. I think freedom is allowed, as long as she herself likes it and as long as its SW, through and through.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well maybe he and Josh Trank can team up to make Chronicle 2 Henry: The 4antastic Book of Instructions Not Included

15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Lot of conjecture being passed off like facts in here.

And an incredible amount of vitriol toward CT. As if it were personal. Odd.

Vohnkar and oncafar like this.
  16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I agree. That's kind of why I posted what I did about how KK may not have felt that Colin did or could write something that kept up with the emotional fabric of the situation. I think some of the hatred toward Colin may be "fake news" spread by tabloids that had bad feelings (possibly stemming from comments and BOH).

17. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Safety Not Guaranteed, Trevorrow's first film.

18. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    And the same reaction (in the media especially) to Lord and Miller.

19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    But DAMN that one move can end a director's career cold. Lord, Miller, Trank, and Trevorrow may be done for at least a LONG time!

20. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Lord and Miller have a good enough track record that they'll still find work. And Trank's career wasn't killed by losing he SW directing job, it was killed by his apparent crack addiction and otherwise erratic behavior on the production of Fant4stic.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    you gotta wonder if all these sackings will put directors off tho , they're a relatively small community , will they think 'what's the point of wasting 2 years of your life ?'

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Or all of these directors form a club where they play mean pranks on other prominent SW directors.

23. MadBoomBoom

MadBoomBoom Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 1, 2017
    Please No JJ abrams

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  24. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah I was actually surprised by the sources in the Vulture article: they seemed pretty malicious and egotistical themselves. I don't recall Lord and Miller getting this sort of treatment from "insiders" -- and you'd think a situation where the directors are fired in the middle of principle photography would have plenty of anger and blame to go around. If KK didn't send out attack dog insiders to go after L&M, I don't think she'd do it on CT. This seems more like egos hitting egos and personal grudges.

25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I'd like for Abrams or Johnson to do IX, but I'm open to most new director, possibly even a woman. I really wish George Lucas would do it, but its a long shot now.

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.