main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Colin Trevorrow NOT directing Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by starocean90, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    George Lucas, the guy who wrote THX 1138, American Graffiti, and Star Wars, also wrote The Phantom Menace?

Noooo....

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

:p

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I don't know about you guys, but Star wars 9 is WAY too far away for me to start freaking out over. I already have my "Freak out list" filled to the brim (star wars 7, Captain America and Iron Man's divorce and their custody battle for Spider man *aka Civil War*, Beauty and the Beast, Moana, Rogue One, X Men: Poe Dameron goes crazy on everybody, Zootopia (aka Furries: The Movie), Batman V Superman, Suicide Squad, GOTG 2, and Justice League). Once those films are out of the way then I can worry about Star wars 9.

B99 likes this.
  4. NostalgiaFan

NostalgiaFan Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2015
    Every time people keep using JW being the third highest grossing movie of all time as a reason why it is good and Colin is a good director make me vomit in my mouth a little.

5. Ellythrion

Ellythrion Jedi Knight

Jul 3, 2013
    Oh dear.

Whilst it is *beyond* premature to have any sort of firm prejudices going anywhere near episode IX yet, I have to say I'm disappointed by the decision. I can't help but shake the feeling that all involved saw the $$$ signs when looking at Jurassic World Box Office mixed with a generally positive reception to the film.

As an enormous fan of the original Jurassic Park, I had high hopes for JW but they were quickly dashed - the potential was there but a rather soulless CGI-fest was unfortunately what followed.

Hopefully IX will give Trevorrow some meatier dramatic and thematic material to work with and it won't be so disappointingly slight and forgettable as Jurassic World. I just hope he can reign in his excesses a little more elegantly than he did with JW...

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  6. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Generally High grossing films make a lot of money because people really like the movie and keep going back which mean the movie was well directed. It's Art, if it is well received It Is well made IMHO, Notice a trend with the star wars Directors? They are all Fanboys, and that can only be a good thing, It helps to love what you do and have a passion for It even if you are a rich Director.....

DarthRosie likes this.
  7. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Jurassic World was okay, but the direction was very vanilla.

B99 and NostalgiaFan like this.
  8. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    JJ on Colin
    http://collider.com/star-wars-7-j-j-abrams-on-captain-phasma-colin-trevorrow-and-more/

DaddlerTheDalek and Darkslayer like this.
  9. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Even if that's true isn't average still better than horrible? So long as the ST isn't a terrible mess of a train wreck I don't think I'll be too mad no matter how things turn out in the end.

10. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
  11. NostalgiaFan

May 24, 2015
    No it means that people were
    A. Bored with the rest of the choices at the theater
    B.Were attracted by the marketing
    C.Were anxious to see a sequel to a famous franchise that has not had a movie in over 10 years
    D.Or the most likely one, that movie tickets nowadays are so expensive that as long as a movie has enough people coming to pay it will exceed the billion mark

Seriously I remember when a billion was a huge thing and now after Avengers it is possible for any big blockbuster to reach that as long as it has built itself up. There is a huge chance that TFA can get to that goal and even surpass JW if it hypes itself well enough so it is funny how people like you try to pretend that Colin is a great choice for this because he "made a great movie" when he was just lucky rather then skilled. By the time he even gets done with Episode 9 his JW movie will most likely not even be in the top 5 highest grossing movies by then.

All in all, there is nothing that has shown me that he was the right pick for this and that they could not get someone better to do it instead.

Mothma10, Andy Wylde and Dewback like this.
  12. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I know for a fact people on here saw the phantom menace up to 20 times or more because they loved it, the Phantom Menace was well Directed IMHO you don't see a movie that many times unless you like It, there were tons of great movies to see other then JW one being Inside Out, and I thought both Avengers movies were great, what can I say I am easy to please:cool:

13. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

Saw TPM 9 times at the theater...mostly because I couldn't get enough of the final lightsaber duel in the movie, and considering how much time I spent reading spoilers about the film over the previous year, didn't want that to be in vain.

14. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I am against Trevorrow but mostly due to not having enough evidence to decide if he's up to it.

2 films, 1 good and 1 bad (but very successful).

Mothma10 and NostalgiaFan like this.
  15. NostalgiaFan

May 24, 2015
    >using the phantom menace like its a good example to convince me
    [​IMG]
    Your not trying to sabotage your own argument are you?
    An that is no reason why we should just call it a good movie because a few people just happen to do it. What next, twilight is a good movie because people watch it over and over?
    And nothing else?
    As just fun popcorn action flicks but none of them would convince me that Whedon could be a choice for the final chapter of a Star Wars trilogy( nor does anything else in his film archive)
    Too bad some people have a thing called standards when it comes to a Star Wars movie. Standards that go above just " dumb fun action movie".

16. SithPug

SithPug Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2014
    Such an uninspired choice especially after having the balls to get Johnson for Ep VIII. I just hope he doesn't have a hand in the script too. He had a really big hand in the JW script as he didn't agree to direct JW unless he could make the script changes he wanted.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  17. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

Exactly. And that is such faulty thinking. None of JW's box office is due to Trevorrow. People wanted to see dinosaurs run amok no matter who was directing. 99.9% of people who saw JW have no clue who directed it unless they think that Spielberg did.

Maybe Trevorrow will make an incredible Episode 9, but if so, it's because Kennedy knows something about him that we don't know. Safety Guaranteed was a pretty good indie drama with a wink to Star Wars included in it. Jurassic World was a plug and play monster movie with 2 dimensional performances and a plot that I doubt Trevorrow had much creative control over (80% of that movie was probably pre-viz).

Mothma10 and NostalgiaFan like this.
  18. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm not surprised at all. Haven't seen JW but hated Safety Not Guaranteed.

Still, I'm really not fussed as long as he's not writing.

19. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Yeah, out of all the directors who have done amazing blockbusters over the last few years and instead you hire this dude? Basic as hell.

B99 and NostalgiaFan like this.
  20. Mr_Thompson

Mr_Thompson Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 28, 2014

I disagree, all you have to do is look at the Transformers movies. They make tons of money and have great VFX, but that doesn't make them good films..

NostalgiaFan and dan1210 like this.
  21. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Colin Trevorrow? Why not? Jurassic World was far better than the previous two iterations. It served it's purpose. It was an updated version of the original Jurassic Park. We all new what was going to happen, but who gets tired of that?

I think Kennedy looks for someone who is relatively new, with an ability to handle a major production competently and who displays a familiarity with Spielberg's style and tone. Besides, it appears that Rian Johnson will be writing the story for Episode IX, for which the Story Group has already settled the major plot points, according to KK.

At this point I have no problem with Johnson and Trevorrow. In fact their appointment intrigues.

22. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    At least it's not Kyle Newman.

vinsanity likes this.
  23. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    It might be okay because Johnson is writing it. I thought they should wait before already naming a director for it. If VIII is brilliant why would you not have Johnson direct again? I'm guessing VIII will be superior as ESB was superior in the OT.

24. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    The final shooting script was completely rewritten by Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connelly, though the general idea of a genetically modified "fake" dinosaur came from Jaffa and Silver. From what I understand it was a page one rewrite with very few overlying characters and dialog. So if Trevorrow is in charge of the script I'd expect Derek Connelly too because he's called him his writing partner in the past.

TK327 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  25. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Not high on this choice but I'm willing to trust KK.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.