main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Collecting Corner

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Dooks, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Yeah everyone thought of starting a new topic on what people are collecting these days for star wars. Basically what are you excited about this year from which companies as there is a ton of cool stuff coming out this year.

Me I have to say Sideshow Collectibles and Gentle Giant are just blowing me away with all the amazing figures and statues coming out. It was mentioned on rebelscum that the next sideshow 1:4 scale premiunm format figure will be Darth Maul and will be show at this years NY Toy Fair feb 11-14 going to be sweet.

Also vintage figures are becoming a new collecting focus for myself both MOC and loose. With the MOC being a select few while the loose could become a complete set. Darth Vader is also a character focus of mine that has been going on for around the last year or so because nothing beats the man in black.

So let's hear your thoughts on star wars collecting if you have any questions feel free to post them here. Anything from what's coming out to where to begin to should I have a focus. Let's try and cover everything from toys, statues, comics, and everything else under the twin suns.

p.s.= I know this great shop too :D

2. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I'm heavy into the Legacy comics and LOTF novels right now. I really enjoy a lot of the EU that focuses more on the next generations of heroes. Nothing against the PT and OT main characters, but Jacen is such a bad mutha shut-cho-mouth. Possibly even more than Mace.

As for figures, right now I'm on a clone binge. On my window sill I have Vader, Palps, and 6 clones all lined up. A pilot, Utapau trooper, Scorch, 5th fleet security, 501st, and Cody. There will be more.

I also enjoy my growing collection of costumes, though I will likely sell a bit of it after the cons this summer are finished. Given the popularity of Cade Skywalker right now, I could probably get a pretty penny for the ol' death-stick-addicted space pimp costume.

3. Darth_Corro

Darth_Corro Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2006
    I am also on the Clone binge. Just picked up 5th Fleet and hologram Cody. I also got the Republic Commando set with the Geonosians. Very cool to have buddies for Scorch now. Also picked up POTF 12" Endor Han Solo, a 12" AOTC Super Battle Droid and 12" Bith from ROTJ. I need to get more shelves from IKEA. *tip for starving students that spend all their money on costumes (winkwink, Vod): IKEA good, cheap eats!

I am really looking forward to the 30th anniversary figures coming up with the coins. Did POTF also do something with coins or medallions?

4. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I'm looking foward to pretty much everything Dooks listed, as well as the new Kotobukiya McQuarrie concept art statues - they look wicked cool!!

I also love weird SW stuff. Like the EP1 bubblegum flavoured toothpaste, or the Darth Maul light saber clock or the light saber pens that I stumbled across. Strange and odd stuff that makes you think, 'who thinks up this stuff???'

5. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    I finally got my Vader Watch and I must say. I'm wanting to order 2 or 3 more. Not to sure if a guy really need more than 1 watch. but they just look to good to pass on. Must save money for C4. Otherwise There would be more on the way.

6. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    I'm only a completist for specific sections of vintage toys, trading cards, posters and books. Big fan of stuff from the 'Dark Times' (1986-1994). I pick and choose at new stuff.

Prelude, a zany side collection I have are broken Star Wars watches. At least 5 quality Vader or Fett watches, that work perfectly until the first battery dies. On replacement, they never work again.

7. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Looking forward to the exclusives that will be offered at C4 from all the big names like sideshow, gentle giant, acme archives, etc. Hopefully the C4 figure will be announced soon as that one will be a priority along with all the other stuff.

Going to start on the vintage loose set later this month going to try and go by movie so Star Wars will be first. Also check out jedidefender.com for picture of the 1:4 scale Darth Maul this thing looks great, mind you the scans of the pictures don't do this item justice.

p.s.= collecting is fun

8. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    Yah, I'm building up my loose set, plus trying to replace some of the damaged (read : chewed on by my little sister) figures from the originals. Now that I have an actual toy room, i can really focus on this more! There's so many amazing larger pieces i've wanted but just never really had space for.

9. redeyekho

redeyekho Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 1, 2003
    This is an interesting topic. Well I never really considered myself to be a collector. I had a friend who collected way before I did. I always thought it was a kewl collection.. but wasn't too interested in collecting. I've always been a big fan of Stormtroopers. Around 95 when the Power of the force came out... I bought all the Stormtroopers and Sandtroopers that I could find. The total came to 13 Storm/Sand troopers. Thats all I ever wanted. That was it. Never wanted anything else. I did have some vintage figures when I was kid which I played with.

Its a strange story. Back in '03 my buddies and I went to Vegas. I wanted to get TOS Star Trek toys. I wanted to get a Tricorder, Phaser and Communicator and do an original ST costume. I didn't find what I wanted. When we got back... my friend told me why don't you go through Ebay. I really didn't know what it was (I kinda wish I hadn't know what it was). My first bid on ebay was a Star Trek phaser. I even took the day off just so that I could win it. Well this is where it started... I started going really hardcore on Ebay. I did get that phaser... but started drifting to Star Wars (this is really bad). Those that have been to my house can understand why. My house is full of Star Wars toys and costumes *lol*.

[image=http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/redeyekho/DSCN4967.jpg]

Sometimes I just wish I had stuck to the original plan of collecting Stormtroopers only. I think I got about 200 Storm/ Sand troopers... I have alot of clones as well.

On another topic... I find alot of people who loves Star Wars don't really like Star Trek... vice versa. I'm a huge fan of both shows. I love other Sci-Fi as well. I want to get a consensus here. I know you guys are huge fans of Star Wars... but are you also fans of Star Trek as well.

Ah yes back on topic. There are so many companies out there produce Star Wars toys and collectibles. I'm really drawn into the 12" Sideshow figures. They are plain awesome. I almost dread the day they will be releasing their Stormtrooper versions. I would love to have a ton of them. I do have 4 RAH (Real Action Hero) Stormtroopers... their pretty sweet. I also collect the Gentle Giant Busts... more the helmeted characters. Plus there is so many new clones from Hasbro... its hard to keep up.

10. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Holy Frak Dave! And I get accused of having too much SW stuff with a few ships, a tank, a dozen figures on display (more are boxed like D'anna) and a lightsaber. I knew you had a collection, but that Palps arrival is droolworthy. Not to mention a certain astromech hiding somewhere.

I enjoy watching most of the Trek shows. I watched a lot of TNG when I was a kid, and I also liked Voyager and Enterprise. I never got into TOS or DS9 though. I'm still not enough of a Trek fan to prevent myself of making Trekkie jokes though. So, this Klingon walks into a Vulcan bar. He orders a ker'plak'tak or something equally indistinguishable to human ears. The bartender says to him, "Dude, it's February. Vulcan Days is a lllooonnnnggg ways off! Go back to Edmonton and wait till June."

11. redeyekho

Oct 1, 2003
    Shawn I bet you didn't realize I was a huge Battlestar Galactia fan as well :)

[image=http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/redeyekho/DSCN3408.jpg]
    [image=http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/redeyekho/DSCN3421.jpg]

I love the TOS ST the best. Grew up watching it. I got to admit that DS9 is my least favorite of all the series. It's good to know that there are others that like ST as much as SW. So are you planning on going to Vulcan Day?

12. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    Oh, I knew about the Cylon centurion. In fact, I had an idea for a little convention stunt. Picture this: Sarah and I come out in out new series BDU's, complete with dogtags, rank pins and pilot wings and everything. We're mouthy, hotshot pilots, completely full of ourselves. You arrive in your centurion armour, and we freak out and hide behind something, sidearms drawn. Then we take a closer look. We realize you're an older model. We holster out sidearms and walk up to you, back to being cocky pilots. We push you around a bit. One of us has a backpack, we pull out a loaf of bread and try to figure out where to put a slice. Does that sound like fun, or what?

But yes, I do plan to go to Vulcan days in full clonetrooper armour :D.

13. redeyekho

Oct 1, 2003
    Or better yet... you put back your sidearm and say," You don't see too many of these models anymore.... best let him go and he'll short circuit somewhere else" [face_laugh]

14. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    or how about" You don't see this model anymore. It must be a collectors item. Lets take it home and put it in the trophy room."

15. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    LOL, that's it! Put it in the starboard hangar deck, which is now part of the museum. We can sell bobbleheads of it in the gift shop.

16. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
  17. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Just got a list of the first 6 or 7 waves of the 30th Anniversary Collection figures and will post later. Also the Star Wars Transformers continue to roll along the most interesting one was the Republic Gunship.

That's all the news for now look for a post later today.

18. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    I don't know that this would go in this thread, but I got an amazing Darth belt buckle on Sun, and I'm getting one of the dashboard Vaders like Yrol got as a gift, it just won't be in for a couple weeks!

19. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Go to rebelscum.com and see the first day of toyfair and all the star wars goods. So much good stuff coming this year from basic figures to high end items gonna be a fun year for the collector.

All I can say is galactic hero Han Solo in Carbonite, NUFF SAID.

Also Sidsshow Collectibles introduced there Star Wars Diorama's which will feature epic battles and environments from the Star Wars saga. First up Obi-Wan VS Anakin Revenge of the Sith.

My head is spinning right now too much awesome stuff coming out need bigger basement.

20. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    TWO Sideshow exclusives for C4??!! Sweet heavens to murgatroid!

21. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    1:6 scale DARTH VADER here we come [face_praying]. 2 exclusives from sideshow and gentle giant this is shaping up good so far.

22. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Also the next in the starwarsshop.com exclusive Lego maquettes is up for pre-order and it's Boba Fett. The pics are the prototype and doen't ship till June so order now as these babies go fast.

23. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Hello everyone :) Sorry for intruding,

It is nice to see a collecting thread with discussion of all the goodies coming out in 2007. I love collecting but like many of you out there I am having major problems with space. I only have this very small room to display about half of my Sw items. The rest if it is in storage bins. That has not stopped me from continuing to buy more SW items.

I am looking forward to the Sideshow 1:4 figures being released in 2007. Boba is shiiping in 4 weeks and I was able to order one last year. Darth Maul is shipping in July along with the RAH 1:6 Boba. I do not know where I am going to put them :) Master Replicas is coming out with some great items in 2007, I am only hoping that they do not ship around the same time or my wife is going to give me a beating :)

I love the Cylon and collection pics and I would love to see more pictures of your collections. If you need a place to host them just let me know and I can help you out.

I am also a mod on the JC Collecting forum so please come by and meet folks that love to collect from all over the world. In addition I mod the Fanforce Collecting forum. It is a private forum that you will require access to If you would like please pm Ryan. He will then contact me to give you access to the
    forum.

Regards,

Mike

24. redeyekho

Oct 1, 2003
    Hi Mike,

Here is link to my collection. I need to update it. The pics in there are 2 yrs old. I bought a new camera and will be updating my pics... someday *lol*

http://www.badlands.ca/modules.php?name=gallery2&g2_itemId=6647

25. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Although it is missing pics of his Life size R2 unit that I hope to see in person one day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.