main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Collecting is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility.

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Skyryder, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Ok, so I'm starting the new thread on collecting. I've followed the example by using a quote. I just changed the word Humor to Collecting, this by James Thurber.

Now on with the show. I can't seem to find anything still on the time that Mace goes on sale! This is driving me crazy.

2. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I've been waiting for the Mace too.. and I'm not even buying it for myself. This is the fun part for me though.. the wait and the chase. Going to the store (or waiting online for things to pop-up) and finding new stuff is what makes it fun. Once I have the item, I'm happy for a little while, then I just stick it in a big plastic bin, and I will probably not look at it again for a long time.

3. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    JR, you are most wise. That Mace does look really cool.

4. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Is anybody helping CBM out?

5. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    JR is looking for CBM. I'm just refreshing the site every five minutes. Nothing. It will probably go on sale when I go to lunch, then by the time I return they will have all sold out.

JR is very wise. I agree totally. I have three GG busts that I haven't even opened yet. The new wears off quickly once you have it.

6. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    I could get lunch for you SR...

7. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Not to haskett the thread but we are having the 501st SW lunch today at the Hare Krisna place Govinda's.

If I don't get it, there is always ebay. I'm not too worried. I'll just add it to the list after Neyo and Bly.

8. JediBith

Nov 6, 2001
    Oh yeah, because I can't go I figured you'd all cancel... :D

J/K...I actually don't know if I have hyperspace membership or not...as it is, I was shocked that I got an Insider this week! Almost never get those...

9. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    I hope this Mace comes out soon, because I don't have time to be doing this all day. I'll be out at 4pm and then I won't have any internet access. Oh well.

We're having an exterminator come over today to treat our house for ants. We're supposed to move everything away from the walls 18". I looked at my Star Wars room and said.. no way. I guess the ants will have free reign over my collection.

Do not Haskett this thread to talk about ants.

EDIT - I got one! It's for you CBM!

10. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, I subscribed to Hyperspace purely for CIV, but I've also been looking forward to Insider. They finally sent me my first issue this week...four months after I registered. I've already had that issue for over a month now.:_|

And I never got my membership stuff either...

11. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    My co-worker/employee brought me a 2" stormtrooper bust today. He had it at home and knew I was a fan so he thought I might want to have it. Nice! No idea what it is from but the tiny base says underneath "Gentlegiant" and the year 2005. It's cool. His wrist and blaster pop out and his head is movable.

(Yea, I haven't collected much SW since 1995 or so...)

12. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    What you have there is a Kamino Saberdart. The markings on the side give it away.
    Oops.. It's a Stormtrooper Bust-Up from Gentle Giant.

13. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    JR is correct JN. Gentle Giant Bust Up. I have a few.

Good news I was able to get a Mace Windu Clone Wars Animated statue from GG today. Everything is right in the world.

14. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I finally put out my Space Slug Diorama and it looks nice! And to my surprise I got a really low number (#118/2000)! I would like to thank JJ for helping me give in to my collecting side.

15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    This thread is like written in code, but that's ok, I'll just randomly add that collecting rules and my particular collection is based around prop replicas (Master Replicas, before them Icons, after MR...? Who knows).

16. Waffllebot

Waffllebot Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2007
    I was hanging out at a friends the other day and there is a guy who has been making screen accurate Lightsabers since day one. Word got out that George has been looking a new company to make the lightsabers and people started reffering this guy to him via online emails etc. Instead of shutting him down and making him cease and disist,Mr. Lucas has contaced him and has given him full schematics for making the new lightsabers. the guy turned out to be my friends friends brother. I want to say he lives in Ohio. It's somewhere off in the distance. They are now setting up shop and getting ready to pass the saber onto him as it may. I hope they movev to LA,or somewhere close where I can meet this guy.

17. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Nice, that's awesome!

18. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Here are my latest GG buys.

[image=http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ksr3959/DSC00936.jpg]

[image=http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ksr3959/DSC00937.jpg]

19. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    ...I'm stealing that Imperial Guard someday. That's awesome, SR.[face_laugh]

20. JediRacer

Apr 5, 2000
    Cool SR! But what's cooler is the Rose Parade photo you have behind the Royal Guard statue. Is that the one you got at C4? I'm still waiting for mine!! I have a space on the wall of my Star Wars room reserved for it.

I haven't bought any SW stuff in a while.

21. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    NICE!!! I'd love to see more pictures of everyone's collections!

22. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    So, JF got me to thinking that I do need to take some photos of my GG collection. I used to keep a pretty good record of my collection in an Access database but I got lazy. So here is my attempt to get back on board with taking some photos. I'm also going to tell you all about my GG collection which means a lot to me.

First off, the statues:

[image=http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ksr3959/Gentle%20Giant%20Collection/DSC01099.jpg]

Along with these I also have the following not on display: Scout Trooper on Bike, a Luke on Tauntaun to match the Han, Chewbacca carrying C-3PO from ESB, and Sandtrooper on Dewback. Of this series I'm missing Darth Vader (standing), C-3PO by himself, and the Rancor. I have on pre order the following: Jabba the Hut, Jabba's palace band, Han Solo, Darth Maul with Bloodfin (a speeder bike) and Darth Vader kneeling.

The Animated Maquettes:

GG had such a good time with selling the Clone Wars Animated statues that they thought they would do the same with OT characters. I'm a sucker so I bought them as well.

[image=http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ksr3959/Gentle%20Giant%20Collection/DSC01112.jpg]

At work I have on display C-3PO with Jawa, and Princess Leia with R2. Boba Fett is in storage and I still need to get Vader, the Stormtrooper, and the Boba Fett syled after the Holiday Special Boba Fett which was a SWS.com exclusive at CIV. Han and Chewie are on preorder for deliver sometime at the end of the year.

The Clone Wars Series:

Along with Yoda on Kybuck shown above I have these: Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, ARC Trooper Captain, Padme Amidala (now worth eight times what I paid for it), Barriss Offee and Luminara Unduli, General Grievous, Asajj Ventress, and on preorder Mace Windu which will conlcude this series according to GG. The only one I'm missing is Coron Corobb (the Ithorian).

The Mini Busts:

[image=http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ksr3959/Gentle%20Giant%20Collection/DSC01116.jpg]

This will be harder to track as there are a bunch. There are a lot of exclusives that I just won't ever get. Along with those shown above I also have a Sandtrooper, Bossk, IG-88, Gamorrean Guard, Emperor Palpatine, Crispy Anakin, One white, blue, and orange marked EpIII Clone Trooper, Shock Trooper, Zam Wesell, Mace Windu, Jango Fett, Padme Amidala, Greedo, and Biker Scout.

I know I'm missing the very first releases, that include Anakin, Obi Wan, Dooku, Vader from ESB, and an EpII Yoda.

I started this collection with Zam Wessell. She was my first. I was at this comic book store called Meltdown on Sunset and I thought it looked really nice and that it wasn't very expensive and there was just a few I could come and get one each week. Little did I know back in 2002 they would still be making them past 2008. Though I do see the end of the tunnel there hasn't been a new prototyped mini bust shown in a while. GG has also switch to making more BustUps which I don't collect and this new line that has characters minus the arms like a real bust should be. They are way smaller though the price isn't much less. I won't be getting any of them however I'm upset that Kit Fisto is in this line where he wasn't in the 6" line.

Now how much have I spent? Let's see each of the 6" busts are about $50, The animated ones are about $80 each, and the larger statues can be anywhere between $150 to $200 each. My next purchase I hope will be the exclusives Neyo and Bly each go now on ebay for $300.

The whole collection here at home can be found here.

23. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Ok, I can't compete with SR's collection on fancy "look at me I have nice busts and stuff" terms, but I do have this, my collection of cups (sans more of the toppers that I got since I took the picture):
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/lowbacca/swstuff/DSC01210.jpg]
    and my variants of the movies, although I KNOW this is out of date because it doesn't include the widescreen VHS OT I have, or my copies of RotS. Granted, I also know thats old because one can see in the picture I only have one MR sabre at taht time.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/lowbacca/swstuff/DSC01219.jpg]

24. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Hey, I saw drinking cups at the Convention. I forget who was selling them, there was a red, blue, and yellow one. I remember them being behind glass but I don't recall anything else about them.

Your movie collection is way fancier than my collection. Most of my stuff is still new which means it isn't worth much. Your's is older and has character.

25. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, I think the difference between your collection and mine is yours has sort of a higher look to it... those fancy statues and all. Sort of stuff that most people can at least look at and say they look cool. Mine's cheaper and something I think only fans can appreciate.

And yeah, the funny bit with the movies is that laserdisc, beta, and CED are in there, none of which I know how to watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.