main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Collecting is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility.

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Skyryder, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
  2. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I got the Deluxe version which I thought would be like the US Deluxe version. The US Deluxe versions are set in individual boxes and have a different picture on the jacket. It also has bigger pictures of Mary Grand Pre's chapter pictures at the end of the book. Instead it's a bound book with a little picture of part of the children's cover on the front and instead of just her name it's got her signature printed (kind of like backwards embossed, you know, when they stamp it into the cover so you feel the depression where the writing is) on each cover. It's nice and all but I guess I was kind of expecting more. Still, I like it.

Here is a picture of the set and one of DH.

[image=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jp4HRVTnL._SS500_.jpg]

[image=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qZSPEWQIL._SS500_.jpg]

3. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    That does look nice (I love the ribbon!), but I agree, I would've wanted more...somehow. Maybe it's just 'cause I don't like that children's DH cover at ALL, haha. I don't remember what the other children's covers are like, whether they're better or not. I think some of them must be better than ours, maybe the PoA one at least?

4. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    So how many copies of HP do you own now?

Just when I thought GG would be finished with their busts I got an email from them telling me what was coming up in the new year. Aayla Secura, Shaak Ti, Animated Emperor. I'm telling you when will it end!

5. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    It never ends SR.. You know that. I picked up a new SW T-shirt and Mickey and Minnie as SW character figures at Disneyland the other day. That'll probably be the last of my SW collecting for a long while.

6. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I have a US hardback and paper back of the first six, two hardbacks of DH, a US deluxe copy of HBP and DH, UK hardbacks of both the kid's cover and adult cover of DH, and the UK SE of all seven. Crazy, I know. I think I would like to try to get the US Deluxe of the remaining five and that should do it.

7. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I found Star Wars Halloween treat at Target yesterday. They are small plastic Darth Vader helmets filled with candy (similar to Nerds). It looked pretty cool, so I bought it, although it was a bit pricey at $7.99. Target is also having a sale on the basic figures (anyone collect those anymore?), of which I haven't seen a new figure there for about 7 months, and SW Transformers.

8. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Today I bought the Star Wars pop up book.

9. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    *flails*
    The pop-up book that Stephen Colbert showed?? The one that came out the same day as his book?! IT LOOKED SO AWESOME. I haven't gone to look for it 'cause I'll probably buy it if I see it and it's probably semi-expensive. Luckily, Target didn't have it...

10. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Hi ES! It is awesome, though I've only seen the ones in the book store, I haven't opened mine yet.

Mr. DH put all of my Harry Potter books in the glassed bookcase for safe keeping. They look really nice there. :)

11. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    My parents have taken or tossed my bookshelves (that I bought in high school or 8th grade) and all my books and everything are just piled all over or in boxes. It sucks but I can't do anything about it yet (well, except for giving or throwing away all my books & stuff, and I don't wanna!).

12. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    We've been donating our old "little kids" books to Goodwill.

13. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Sorry if this has been brought up before, but does anyone collect the star wars miniatures by Wizards of the Coast?

A friend of mine wants to start playing that game.

Just wondering if anyone else is into it, and if its worth playing?

14. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    The game is awesome. There is a lot more strategy involved than you would think. Check the message boards for wizards of th coast to see if people play in his area. When you only have one or two other people playing, it's kind of a drag.

15. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I don't play but I received a few figs as a gift. They are very nice.

I also have a set of those cards that actually have pieces that you punch out to make into vehicles. I know, that's not really clear but they are cool.

16. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I have some of those cards too. I got them at C-IV.

17. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    Speaking of cards, I got the 3-deck set as well as teh EPsiode IV set from Cartamundi at C IV. I love playing cards now!

18. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    My friend Anthony got some at C4 and he's into it now. I got him some more recently for his birthday and he jumped up and down like a girl.

I have collected nothing recently...In the words of Jacques: "I am ashamed."

19. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    I am sad because I will now not get my Dejarik Holochess set until November. The Star Wars Shop site sent me a letter telling me it has been back-ordered due to production delays. :(

20. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    APL, your friend Anthony is cool. We have other sets of cards like those but they aren't Star Wars ones. We have pirates, English ships, the Spanish Armada, all sorts of stuff like that. I don't play the game but it's fun to make those little ships. I have a Star Wars one at my desk. I think it's the medical ship but I don't recall. It actually says what it is but I don't pay attention.

21. Jundland_Jay

Feb 18, 2003
    OK, DH, I finally agree with you - you ARE lame! [face_laugh]

22. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Today while buying household supplies at Target I came across a bunch of figs that I did not have so I bought them. They are:

Combat Engineer Clone Trooper - which I only bought because he's an engineer
    Umpass Stay
    Airborne Trooper - which I think I have but got for my padawan if it's a dupe
    Mace Windu - only because he has a gold coin
    R2 - same reason
    Two Imperial Officers - one with a sticker that says Fans' Choice and the other without and they actually look different - the Fans' Choice one has strawberry blonde hair and the non one has darker hair
    Rebel Honor Guard

And I got a Titanium Die-cast Dewback with a stormtrooper that reminded me of SR's GG one. Hey fellow Dewback and stormtrooper buddy!

Any way, that's it.

23. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Today I added two more to the GG collection.

[image=http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ksr3959/Gentle%20Giant%20Collection/GE9068lg.jpg]

[image=http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/ksr3959/Gentle%20Giant%20Collection/GE9075lg.jpg]

It was a black and white themed day I guess.

24. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Very cool SR!

25. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    After this year, when MR releases its last Star Wars replicas, I won't be spending any money on Star Wars collectibles for the first time in a long while. I have been active as a collector since 1997 when I became a Star Wars fan (by my definition; I loved the movies growing up but wasn't a fan, really). It's a sad time, because I loved what MR was doing and was looking forward to so many cool future offerings. I thought eventually we could have almost everything in replica form, and that made me excited. But then it all came crashing down when MR decided they don't like money and gave up the franchise that accounts for 90%+ of their business. They are a truly stupid company if there ever was one, I'll say that much. Good luck to them making replicas of Disney characters that never sell, and Pirates crap nobody buys, and other useless garbage. Hopefully that works out wonderfully for them.

LFL will find another licensee probably not too far from now, but I am absolutely not interested in re-buying what I already have, if they want to try to remake replicas we all already paid MR to get. So they better come up with some cool ideas. In the meantime I need to save the money for my business anyway, filmmaking equipment is expensive, I don't need a hobby that costs as much money as Star Wars collecting right now. Once I make some money in the film industry I'm sure I'll spend obscene amounts of cash to build my SW collection as I already have lots of ideas for stuff I want, mainly I will pursue one-of-a-kind items. For now I'll give the bank account a rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.